5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dantebean
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SofaKing12-4-2012-2.jpg
    sales.jpg
    PPP.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

#2 5 years ago

Never assume that you'll get your value back on any mods/upgrades that you install, just look at the custom car market. Just because you like it, doesn't guarantee someone will pay for it. I wouldn't pay extra for LED's or powder coated legs and rails.

Steve

#3 5 years ago

I think $17k Cactus Canyons are crazy, so don't say "no one".

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I think $17k Cactus Canyons are crazy, so don't say "no one".

You beat me to it, my thoughts exactly.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from DJSLYKE:

Never assume that you'll get your value back on any mods/upgrades that you install, just look at the custom car market. Just because you like it, doesn't guarantee someone will pay for it. I wouldn't pay extra for LED's or power coated legs and rails.
    Steve

the moded cars are the ones bringing high prices! and i think the OP is correct in his assesment. i learned to just ignore the PP and usually the first guy that sees the pin in person makes a fair offer knowing whats up. condition condition condition! OP GL with your next sale.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from DJSLYKE:

Never assume that you'll get your value back on any mods/upgrades that you install, just look at the custom car market. Just because you like it, doesn't guarantee someone will pay for it. I wouldn't pay extra for LED's or power coated legs and rails.
    Steve

You are 500% correct. When people put a thousand or more into their pin on mods/upgrades they shouldn't expect to get it back no different then when you put a nice built in pool in your backyard.....or putting expensive rims, TV's, etc on your conversion van. Ever try selling a conversion van. I bought one many years ago that was beautiful (we used it for many Disney trips). The original price was like $70K and 5 years later I got it for $13K.....I sold it about 6-7 years later for $4K after having many fun years with it. You normally get killed on "extras" regardless what you buy (even a new home....sure you will recoup some of your money but rarely 100% and many times much less).

The best thing to do if someone can't "handle the heat of posting in a forum" is to just post in MARKETPLACE or don't post on pinside at all. It has taken me 9 people looking and coming to my house (as my I500 just went on Friday) to buy 8 pins just using CL. Trust me, the local pinsiders look on CL and I would say 4 pins sold were to pinsiders and 4 to non-pinsiders so posting on CL gives you a "bigger market" in my opinion. Plus, I only want local sales so someone can view the pin and I don't want to mess with shipping. My I500 just sold yesterday for $2,750 without any problems at all so my suggestion is to use CL or EBAY if you don't like the heat or price it to sell (EA BUNDY never gets any heat as well as many sellers on here that price their games very fairly). Others that want top dollar normally just post in Marketplace.

Bottomline......we all have choices. You don't want any negative price comments don't use the forum environment or learn to deal with it.

#7 5 years ago

I see price police posts as free bumps. I wish they would police my FS posts

#8 5 years ago

Get used to it...
    (For non commercial use)
    Usually if you bling up a game you're going to take a hit.
    In this case I'll be more than stoked to ever break even.

It's a little bit different story if you can bring a game back from the dead though.

Just my 2 cents

#9 5 years ago

I agree with houseofpin, just place the ad in the MarketPlace.
    I have bought machines that were higher than what others say it was worth but hey, I wanted the machine.
    Its up to the buyer and seller.
    Too high and nobody will buy. Doesn't matter how rare or modded it is.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

the moded cars are the ones bringing high prices! and i think the OP is correct in his assesment. i learned to just ignore the PP and usually the first guy that sees the pin in person makes a fair offer knowing whats up. condition condition condition! OP GL with your next sale.

Really? You must be friends with the guy that put 2K worth of mods in his AC/DC Pro and thinks it'll sell for close to 5K.

Steve

#11 5 years ago

every one has two prices the one when they are buying a game and the one when they are selling a game . with trades both the buyer and seller can feel they got the better deal

#12 5 years ago

I used to mod VWs, you never got your mod money back out when you sold it, unless you maybe parted it out. Even then you wouldn't break even.

#13 5 years ago

I'd say ask what you want and sell what the market will pay....its really that simple.

People that police normally would not or could not buy what your selling but want to deter others by expounding on how much they know about your pin they have never seen. They want everyone to sell at average book no matter what condition.

But its pinside and when you post you should expect it.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I used to mod VWs, you never got your mod money back out when you sold it, unless you maybe parted it out. Even then you wouldn't break even.

Exactly and when most people do this it is a "passion of love" for the hobby. Most people would tell you they don't expect to get their money back. I bought a Harley Davidson Themed SUV Tahoe or my son (his first vehicle) that came in 2nd in a local car show. The guy had to sell it because his wife wanted him to move on a home (just had a baby) so he had receipts for $20K in extras....plus the price he paid for the Tahoe ($10K) so he had $30K in it. He kept it and worked on it for 2 years....he tried to sell it for $15K and then $12K with no luck (problem was people wanted to get a loan and the bank uses book value of the vehicle not including options). I offered him $10,500 and he took it and my son got his truck (lifted, really neat looking a 17 year olds "dream"). The guy lost $19,500 and totally understood he was going to take a bath if he ever sold it. PLUS, he put in over 100 hours of his time as well !!!! He told me it was something he always wanted to do and unfortunately he wanted to keep it for many years (however, a happy wife is a happy life and he knew if his wife didn't get the house he would be in BIG TROUBLE....he never told her how much money he lost on the SUV either....LOL).

I have said this many times "pinball is a VERY cheap hobby"....PERIOD. Truly, if there is a cheaper hobby I have never seen one (most people that buy smart basically play for free when they go to sell....assuming they don't load it up with mods and extras or buy NIB and sell in a year or two (well for most titles....TRON LE, BIBLE and a few others have been exceptions)). Anyone that golfs, boats, or goes to a lot of sporting events can tell you how truly cheap pinball as a hobby really is......try horseback riding as well (that adds up quickly especially if you own the horse.....my sister did this for years and it blew my mind the money she spent on gear, vet, storage of the horse, food, etc.).

#15 5 years ago

My post was not about getting your money back. I realize it. I have a BMW I paid 63k for on EBay for less than 6k.

I have no problem with "Wow sounds a little high" or "Why so much"

But I have been getting "Where do you get off asking that" and "Stop posting your overpriced crap"

That's all I am getting at. Nothing wrong with posting it high if the market does not bear then it will not sell, etc, etc.
    Just wondering why people get so defensive with high prices instead of inquiring.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from DJSLYKE:

Really? You must be friends with the guy that put 2K worth of mods in his AC/DC Pro and thinks it'll sell for close to 5K.
    Steve

dont know him/her but that being said i thought we are all friends on pinside

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I have no problem people having an opinion on price. But it seems their attitude towards me or someone who asks a higher price, is like I committed murder or I am a criminal.

Whew. For a minute there I thought you were going to engage in hyperbole.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Whew. For a minute there I thought you were going to engage in hyperbole.

It was still a beautiful statement regardless. Mind if I use it for my upcomming english project?

#19 5 years ago

Hobbies ain't cheap. Get over it people.

When it's all said and done, this is still cheaper than golfing. Those guys drop $200 a day like it's nothing. A few days of that a month, adds up big time.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

My post was not about getting your money back. I realize it. I have a BMW I paid 63k for on EBay for less than 6k.
    But I have been getting "Where do you get off asking that" and "Stop posting your overpriced crap"
    That's all I am getting at. Nothing wrong with posting it high if the market does not bear then it will not sell, etc, etc.
    Just wondering why people get so defensive with high prices instead of inquiring.

Boo hoo! Your prices are insane but u can ask what ever u would like. Tell everyone the real problem, you can't follow Craigslist policies and post in every city in the SW and repost everyday. If anyone wants to see just look in Phx and u will see his $5k Diner, $8k TZ and see it posted daily. By the way I sold a Diner 2 weeks ago to another Phx pinsider for $2000.

#21 5 years ago

Most over used and abused quote "you'll be hard pressed to find one nicer"

#22 5 years ago

If you think losing $300-$500 in mods on a pinball sale is bad, you ought to try trading in a car with $3,000-$5,000 in after-market parts on it. Now THAT'S taking a loss.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

If you think losing $300-$500 in mods on a pinball sale is bad, you ought to try trading in a car with $3,000-$5,000 in after-market parts on it. Now THAT'S taking a loss.

This is true, anytime I have traded in a Harley the salesman says take all the add ons off before trading it. They never give you anything extra for the goodies. Last bike I traded I removed all the add ons. Even the custom rims. I put it all back to a stock bike.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from SSrig:

Boo hoo! Your prices are insane but u can ask what ever u would like. Tell everyone the real problem, you can't follow Craigslist policies and post in every city in the SW and repost everyday. If anyone wants to see just look in Phx and u will see his $5k Diner, $8k TZ and see it posted daily. By the way I sold a Diner 2 weeks ago to another Phx pinsider for $2000.

I rest my case.

The price police have arrived.

#25 5 years ago

There's quite a diff between price police and spam police.

If you're not in a hurry to sell, that's fine, but then you have no business self-bumping and CL flooding.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I have a BMW I paid 63k for on EBay for less than 6k.

Link please.

#27 5 years ago

Price Police only get on my nerves when they don't validate their opinion with facts on other sold like items. I have no problem with using prior sales of same condition pins to get apple to apple comparisons and inform potential buyers. If I am selling a HEP MM, I don't care what a Popeye with a shop job sold for 2 years ago, and other than a bump, it really adds nothing to the thread.

Price Policers can help buyers from overpaying and inform buyers what to look for. If you post in an open forum you can expect that to happen. It can also help sellers make a case on why they posted the price they did. The internet makes it pretty easy to price machines, so if you are asking a premium, be prepared to explain why.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from SSrig:

Thanks for the background info. This thread makes a little more sense now.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I rest my case.

I absolutely hate craigslist overposters. They need to be taken out back to the woodshed. Especially those who post $5000 Diners.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I rest my case.

So are you really reposting your stuff on Craigslist once a day? If so you must be aware that a) that violates Craigslist policy and b) it will really annoy anyone that has automated searches set up for Craigslist, since they'll be getting daily hits for that TZ/Diner/whatever game they're looking for, only to find it's your same machine from the day before and the day before that. Unless you're pricing your games to sell quickly (presumably not the case since you felt the need to start this thread) it's not exactly shocking that you're drawing complaints with this type of behavior.

#31 5 years ago

People who repost daily on Craigslist are so annoying, doubly so when it's outrageous prices that guarantee they're gonna be doing it for a long time. That's orders of magnitude worse that someone criticizing your prices in a thread, no wonder you attract those kinds of comments. Ever hear of don't shit where you eat?

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from derek533:

Hobbies ain't cheap. Get over it people.
    When it's all said and done, this is still cheaper than golfing. Those guys drop $200 a day like it's nothing. A few days of that a month, adds up big time.

Cheaper than Golf?
    Not in Australia it isn't, my club membership is $900 per year and it is a championship course.

#33 5 years ago

Yes, you can post advertisements and ask whatever you want for your pin. But others in the hobby I feel, have a right to express the variance to current market prices. If your prices were in the ballpark -you would not need to post so many ads for the same pin.

I dont' know if you are truly trying to recoup your after market modification cost, or if you're just greedy and want to find an unsophisticated buyer (sucker). But it's obviously bothers you, otherwise you would not be making this post. Maybe some self-reflection on your practices and really figuring out what you are trying to accomplish would help. And I went back and looked at your FS ads, I really didn't see much "price policing", except for the JD that I will be honest, I had to look twice at. Good luck.

#34 5 years ago

OP > here is a tip for your ads. Focus on the cons. Your games are not as nice as you think they are. They may be nice but the way you write an advert is to brush aside any negatives and focus on all the bling (to some, crap) you have added. You will win over more people and get more offers if you do a better job of pointing out all flaws. You may want to also lower your prices if they don't sell for a while as that is an indicator you are too high.

#35 5 years ago

Just trying to find your Pinside for sale threads to see what the complaint is.
    Not finding any in the last 4 months.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I rest my case.

Stop spamming CL . You are not a member of the hobby, you are just a vulture trying to take advantage of newbies. That is how your CL ads read. Glad you alerted us. I will follow you and report your CL ads every day from now on. Enjoy.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You may want to also lower your prices if they don't sell for a while as that is an indicator you are too high.

Exactly Whysnow-The market will determine value and pricing. On the other hand there are a select few pinball machines that I feel the market has determined too low of a price-i.e- Avengers, Transformers, and X-Men. I would really like to trade out or sell my Avengers LE-but not for $5000. It will stay at that price. If I can get close to $5600 I may decide to let it go. I guess the price strategy works both ways. If you overprice machines then price will determine interest. Often times it is worth taking off mods and selling them separate in order to be able to sale at current market rates.

PPP.jpg
    #38 5 years ago

So $600 makes the decision for you? Is it the amount or the % that defines this ?

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

So $600 makes the decision for you? Is it the amount or the % that defines this ?

I guess I determine how much money I would like to lose and basically draw the line on what is the bottom dollar. Right now my bottom dollar on Avengers LE is $5500. I like the game but I do not love it. I have other games that I would like to fill the spot but it has to make sense.

#40 5 years ago

OMG! Y'all really have to go look at CL and see this guy at work. He is like the ulti - spammer on CL. He is in several states, many ads, etc. He is totally trolling for newbies. A carpetbagger. BEWARE this guy, not sure what his deal is, but this type of spam indicates other issues as well. Not your run of the mill seller, definitely aggressively pastes CL daily. Asking way high prices for everything, just looking for that one sucker. That's all it takes, huh, OP ? You just need that one sucker.

#41 5 years ago

I opened a thread about this same thing a few months back. I completely understand now why it is done and just don't worry about it if its not my pin. Only pin I sold here was a SF2 @ $800 so not many complained.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I think most of the "price police" posts like that are from people who are sick and tired with others just driving the price up. Eventually this will all reach a level that is not sustainable and the hobby will suffer... I do not care if a pin has leds or if they replaced the ramps. I am not paying for it. That said I think your price difference from the book value is absurd.

#43 5 years ago

This is a damn joke. I'll say it again this hobby is brutal. I think I'll just find a good distributor buy my next wanted pin NIB and I won't have to deal with any of you flaky overpriced sellers whether it be here or CL.

#44 5 years ago

If you are getting bashed on Craigslist and Ebay and Pinside, the problem isn't the people on Craigslist, Ebay or Pinside.

Quoted from Slate:

seems I have been bashed left and right by the pricing police from Craigslist to EBay to Pinside.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I have no problem when the price police bash someone who posts a ragged out wood worn machine for crazy bucks, but lay off the sellers who have machines that maybe the pricing police do not know everything about.

Isn't it a little hypocritical that you are complaining about being bashed, but you yourself seem to be ok with the price police under certain circumstances of your choosing?

#46 5 years ago

I never have an issue with asking prices, ok to get what you can. I do however have a major problem with sellers that misrepresent the condition, at any price, as is the practice of some of the E-Bay type sellers.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

This is a damn joke. I'll say it again this hobby is brutal. I think I'll just find a good distributor buy my next wanted pin NIB and I won't have to deal with any of you flaky overpriced sellers whether it be here or CL.

You think Yuri is pissed?

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I think most of the "price police" posts like that are from people who are sick and tired with others just driving the price up.

Karma points and a gold star. If it's totally unreasonable...expect that folks will police it.

#49 5 years ago

Most price police are fair & know the hobby. They are helping keep things in check for those of us who enjoy the hobby & not looking to profit. Since I know that when I sell a game the price is fair, I don't worry about the price police. The people who do worry about them? Those who know they are asking too much but don't like to be reminded of it.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from robx46:

Most price police are fair & know the hobby. They are helping keep things in check for those of us who enjoy the hobby & not looking to profit. Since I know that when I sell a game the price is fair, I don't worry about the price police. The people who do worry about them? Those who know they are asking too much but don't like to be reminded of it.

QFT. Perfectly stated.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 329.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 57.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 35.00
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 125.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Great American Pinball
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside