Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rufessor
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1419 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1418 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1417 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1416 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I think you hit the nail on the head with pinball people - for some reason (unlike car people) they don't seem to care about repro verses original and almost seem to prefer restored machines over a nice original survivor. Since I grew up heavily involved with the Lionel train & car hobbies I just can't understand why pinball machines are different. To me a nice original machine should be worth 25% more than a fully restored machine yet a lot of people will send a nice original to someone like HEP to get it restored?
    Anyway - keep the thoughts coming. As with a lot of my post I love to hear all sides of the story. When it comes to buying & selling machines I have a good idea what I am willing to pay and what I need to sell one for but I love to hear input from others just to hear what they think & why.

When it comes to this era game I think the biggest issue is that they are rough around the edges even in pristine original condition.
    I have many examples of that from NIB to HUO documented and I am working on a HUO Centaur now
    It is clean, the mechs are nice ,apron ,backglass all those key details but the stencils are off,the wood is rough it is fragile and honestly it was not even close to a acceptable piece or structure before it went into manufacturing
    The main problem really tends to be the cabinets and natural aging for most that I see want these types of examples redone.
    I grew up in the high End auto body business and realized a long time ago Pins and cars are just two different things.
    Pins can be easily improved because the manufacturing standards and purposes were much different . They only required 25 to 50 cents at a time from strangers for the item to be successful. Pins were built to be operated .
    Cars were built to sit on a showroom floor and attract buyers that wanted to take them home and use them daily.They needed to be worthy of longer term financing for the typical buyer.
    There just isn’t the same mentality there from the manufacturers or the collectors standpoint nor those of us that restore either and or both if that makes sense.
    Not saying there is a right or wrong way just that I have lots of experience with both and it is what I have gathered.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pricing-of-classic-bally-stern-machines?tu=High_End_Pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.