Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Miyagi (resized).png
    popcorn (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I just got into Pinball ownership this year. Didn't even start looking for a machine until this year. So I have no idea what machines used to cost before 2021.
    Have they always been so high!? $6-10k for new ones. About the same for good used ones. Seems crazy to me!
    Did the pandemic drive up prices? Or has this been an ongoing trend?
    How long have new ones cost over $6K?

#2 3 years ago

Oh no.

#4 3 years ago

Calling CRAZYLEVI

LTG : )

#5 3 years ago

I was hoping for a new price thread...seems like it's been days since we had one.

#6 3 years ago

You see pinball machines are like cars ...

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#7 3 years ago

I can see a face turning very Red and Steam exiting the ears nose...

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

I just got into Pinball ownership this year. Didn't even start looking for a machine until this year. So I have no idea what machines used to cost before 2021.
    Have they always been so high!? $6-10k for new ones. About the same for good used ones. Seems crazy to me!
    Did the pandemic drive up prices? Or has this been an ongoing trend?

I’ll chime in here since you’re not likely to get a lot of help other than maybe getting beat up for this post. Be thankful you didn’t compare a pin to a car...they eat this stuff up! Purchase what you like. If it’s a theme that resonates with you cost won’t matter within reason. In my opinion the market is somewhat out of whack just look at some of the classified ads. Manufacturers cannot make them fast enough and Covid has created a surge because we are all stuck at home and bored apparently with too much money.

#9 3 years ago

Paging Levi (who has a 20k pin up right now, lol)

#10 3 years ago

Could we be in the middle of a price bubble...?

Seems like we should have a thread that discusses this somewhere.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Seems like we should have a thread that discusses this somewhere.

I think we're past that now...probably best to register a separate domain. Maybe pinball price guide live etc?

#12 3 years ago

Talk about a horse beaten up by a broken record. They got a GIF of that yet?

#13 3 years ago

Every time a noob questions the cost of pinball machines, a demon gets it's wings

#14 3 years ago

1,000 threads of prices by Christmas.

#15 3 years ago

Well, that wood cabinet is handmade from a solid piece of California Red Oak. The metal used to create the ramps are from the forges of Moria. The playfields, oh the playfields, they are also handmade using the finest wood the Amazon Rainforest has to offer. This is how we've gotten to $6k - $10k+ games. The prices are justified by quality, and numerous mechanical devices spread throughout the playfield to dazzle the senses.

#16 3 years ago

Geez. Point made. I should have searched first.
    Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

Yeah everyone is out of patience and grumpy lately.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Way to haze the new guy.

Is this what passes as a hazing these days? Sheesh, getting off easy

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bmanpin:

Yeah everyone is out of patience and grumpy lately.

I’m just here for the jokes and watch Levi’s head spin.

#20 3 years ago

Looks like you have Pinbot for your first pin...good choice there.Also have Bride of Pinbot on the wishlist, another good choice.If you have the space and money go for the trifecta with Jackbot.Probably best not to dwell on what the going rate of a NIB or other highly desirable pins.The prices aren't coming down.Pinball is about fun not about status or standing.Enjoy what you have as you can always play the other titles on location.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

A wise pinhead once said

4. I'm now middle aged and I hate everybody
    By CrazyLevi

#22 3 years ago

I'm actually receiving PMs to alert me on these now.

There will be no comment, beyond to say I can't believe I'm the price bubble Beetlejuice now.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

As the "new guy" don't you think maybe just look around for a bit and read some old threads instead of signing up and immediately asking a question like that. You think nobody before you has ever asked that question?

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They get like that sometimes. I've been in the business for decades and I get sticker shock from the prices of machines. I can only imagine how you feel. The good news is that they tend to retain a good bit a value depending on the machine. So, if you buy one and ever decide to sell you can get a decent price for it.

Welcome to Pinside as I see you are in your rookie season.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

I just got into Pinball ownership this year.

Congrats, welcome to the club

Quoted from adamw:

Have they always been so high!?

No, prices keeps going up at a fairly steady rate. Demand keeps growing.

Quoted from adamw:

Did the pandemic drive up prices?

Yes, a bit. People locked down at home with few entertainment opportunities and vacation funds just sitting there.

Quoted from adamw:

Or has this been an ongoing trend?

And it's been an ongoing trend.

Quoted from adamw:

A while. Sometimes the secondary market is a little cheaper for certain titles, though.

Quoted from adamw:

Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

Oh, don't mind them. They're just entertained by the fact people seem to keep asking general price trend questions every few days now.

#27 3 years ago

Omg. This is the best price bubble thread I've read. I needed a laugh today. Thanks fellow pinheads.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

Welcome to pinside and congrats on your new (to you) pinball machine. Do you know where the second one is going already?

#29 3 years ago

With all due respect to the OP and all newbies I think we are long overdue for a new Super Stickie thread. There is already "Welcome to the Pinside! The Official FAQ". We really need another one right under that one: "Welcome to Pinside! The Unoffical FAQ (strongly suggested reading for all newbies)" and have Levi as thread president and he elects a board of 5 others to come of with some Q&A's to get newbies started off correctly.

#30 3 years ago

popcorn (resized).jpgpopcorn (resized).jpg

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

Take it with a grain of salt.
    Pinside is sort of like a room full of chihuahuas where their bark is worse than their bite.

#32 3 years ago

You are the reason. New people keep coming into the hobby. Supply and demand. Finite supply with rising demand = rising prices

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from bbaker2824:

Omg. This is the best price bubble thread I've read. I needed a laugh today. Thanks fellow pinheads.

Who said anything about a bubble

#34 3 years ago

The best thing you could do is leave the hobby immediatly. Prices are stupid and pinheads are even more stupid. I warned you.... the only reason I come here now is laugh at the insane sale ads and the idiots who are buying this inflated crap.

#35 3 years ago

New games will depreciate. Down the road they may appreciate. Older games are selling well when well restored or nice originals. Look at Fathom from 20 years ago. $500 now to $5K. Centaur the same. I passed on a Stern Star Gazer for $400 20 years ago from an operator's warehouse, Stupid then because I didn't like like Stern games, felt cheap compared to a Bally. Instead of picking up the SG, I hauled home a Mata Hari and Lost World for the same money each.

You can't predict what will be hot 10-20 years from now.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

Okay, so you stumbled on your first step. No big deal. Pick yourself up and try again. Post a classified ad asking $8k firm for your Pinbot...be sure to allow comments. Then start a thread stating why you think Stern is awesome and JJP sucks. You'll be the toast of Pinside in no time!!

Hang around a little longer, and you'll find that enjoying pinball is a close second to bitching about pinball. For example, the sweet irony of all of the same complaints about "another price thread" in another price thread!

Welcome to the club!!

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

So I have no idea what machines used to cost before 2021

Quoted from adamw:

Have they always been so high!?

No. Three years ago you could get a good machine for under a hundred bucks. Sure, you would pay at least $200 for a Medieval Madness, but that was an amazing game. There were only like 12 people in the hobby at that time, and we just kept trading games with each other. But then in 2019 a bunch of new people came in. They started adding $20 when they would wax the machines. And then the next person said "If they can get $20 for a coat of wax, then I can get $40 for TWO COATS of wax". That was the beginning of the great Wax War of 2019. All of a sudden there were three, four, and even 10 coats of wax on a game. That was adding $200 JUST FOR THE WAX!!! But then Kaneda showed up, and he started stiffing people. He was charging $20 for each coat of wax... but he was charging for 10 coats, while only putting on two. And he was getting away with it!

And that brings us to 2020, the great wax pandemic. Everybody stayed inside, and just kept waxing themselves silly. All of a sudden games ended up with 290 coats of wax!!!!! You would still be paying $200 for the game, but the cost of that many coats of wax brought us to this mess. THAT is why games are $6000 now.

And whos fault is it?

Miyagi (resized).pngMiyagi (resized).png

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrpilkington:

You see pinball machines are like cars ...
    [quoted image]

That’s a brilliant GIF, and if people haven’t seen that actual show, you’re doing TV wrong. My 12yr old loved it, and we always know by heart 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... ... ...3.

#39 3 years ago

Short answer. Not as much. Like anything in life things get more expensive. Seems to be new games go up in price, used game values rise a bit as well. A rising tide lifts all boats.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

No. Three years ago you could get a good machine for under a hundred bucks. Sure, you would pay at least $200 for a Medieval Madness, but that was an amazing game. There were only like 12 people in the hobby at that time, and we just kept trading games with each other. But then in 2019 a bunch of new people came in. They started adding $20 when they would wax the machines. And then the next person said "If they can get $20 for a coat of wax, then I can get $40 for TWO COATS of wax". That was the beginning of the great Wax War of 2019. All of a sudden there were three, four, and even 10 coats of wax on a game. That was adding $200 JUST FOR THE WAX!!! But then Kaneda showed up, and he started stiffing people. He was charging $20 for each coat of wax... but he was charging for 10 coats, while only putting on two. And he was getting away with it!
    And that brings us to 2020, the great wax pandemic. Everybody stayed inside, and just kept waxing themselves silly. All of a sudden games ended up with 290 coats of wax!!!!! You would still be paying $200 for the game, but the cost of that many coats of wax brought us to this mess. THAT is why games are $6000 now.
    And whos fault is it?
    [quoted image]

Ah...the wax wars. We lost a lot of great soldiers out there.

#41 3 years ago

The smart money was selling wax during that period of time.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Pinside is sort of like a room full of chihuahuas where their bark is worse than their bite.

Apparently you haven't been bitten by a Chihuahua!

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

The best thing you could do is leave the hobby immediatly. Prices are stupid and pinheads are even more stupid. I warned you.... the only reason I come here now is laugh at the insane sale ads and the idiots who are buying this inflated crap.

Will sell you a Ghostbusters topper for $5k lol.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

Welcome to pinside and congrats on your new (to you) pinball machine. Do you know where the second one is going already?

Yup! Plenty of room right next to it for at least one, if not 2 more!
    Just gotta come up with the funds for them (and convince the wife).

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from dhawk:

You are the reason. New people keep coming into the hobby. Supply and demand. Finite supply with rising demand = rising prices

While I am new to pinball ownership, I have loved pinball since the 80s and have always wanted to own one since then. As a kid, we had a shuffle alley machine in my house, and loved that thing! Only sorry I didn't get to have it when my mom moved out of that house. She left it with the new owner of the house, because she didn't think I'd want to move the machine. Drives me crazy that she didn't ask me!

#46 3 years ago

It's because of all the new guys that just started this year. So thanks...

We need a 2 week pinball lockdown to flatten the curve.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Yup! Plenty of room right next to it for at least one, if not 2 more!
    Just gotta come up with the funds for them (and convince the wife).

I was you 5 years ago! I am up to 6 machines now (maxed out and out of room!). As for the wife, to my great surprise and delight, she warmed up to the hobby and plays them as much as I do now! I hope you get as much joy and happiness from the hobby as I have.

There is a lot to discover here on pinside, some of it informative (eg, you’ll no doubt discover Vid’s helpful guides) and hopefully the rest you will find entertaining (I do).

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

As you can see d-bag transcends all races, politics, religions, genders...and hobbies. Could be worse in this hobby since the community is composed mostly of men who play with toys and many have made it the main component in their identity so they get offended when someone doesn't know as much as they do. To answer your question...I got into this hobby in 2014. 7 years ago. Just bought my 81st game after taking a 2 year break and jumping back in a couple of months ago. Prices are significantly higher than 2 years ago and I do believe the pandemic has impacted it.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Stern pro NIB games are still around for under 6k but not for much longer probably. Call around and you’ll likely get prices under MSRP.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamw:

Yikes.
    Way to haze the new guy.

My last comment sounded a little negative towards this community. Let me clarify. Just disregard the stupidity because there are a TON of great people on pinside. If you need help this is the place to come. You just may need to weed through some stupid comments but it's worth it.

RB

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prices-of-pinball-machines-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.