Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by D-Gottlieb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Anyone have info on what the prices were for them when they were released?

#3 8 years ago

Wow, thanks.

#4 8 years ago

I guess things haven't changed that much after all! $675 in 1967 would be about $4800 today... close to the price of new Sterns.

Pinball machines were never intended to be cheap toys. EM's are cheap right now because technology has evolved, people don't know how to fix them, many haven't been maintained, condition can be worn, ordinary folks don't know where to get replacement parts or restore them, etc.

It sucks that pinball was largely overtaken by video games... but... the upside is the plethora of cheap EM's left behind in the wake for us. I say get them while you can!

#5 8 years ago

Yep! I love working on and playing EMs. I bought a working but dirty Gottlieb Flying Carpet a few days ago for $200. That's a lot of pinball for very little money. It has over 238,000 on the play meter.

#6 8 years ago

Well, all I know is that I am having fun playing and fixing the one I have had for about a month! I paid a bit much, but I really wanted Top Score. Learning a bit more each day.

#7 8 years ago

Top Score is a keeper. I'm just now finishing a total rebuild on mine. I like it best of all the "side bagatelle" variants (Lawman, Atlantis, Centigrade 37... did I miss any?).

#8 8 years ago

Cool. I just rewired the two pop bumpers so they fire independently and the ball just goes like mad.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I like it best of all the "side bagatelle" variants (Lawman, Atlantis, Centigrade 37... did I miss any?).

Soccer.

#11 8 years ago

Soccer and super soccer dont have the bagatelle feature.

#12 8 years ago

In fact, Top Score's left playfield is the same as Soccer. The right side has the bagatelle.

#13 8 years ago

You're right... both Top Score and Soccer were made in '75 and have the same left side layout. They also share the same two pops on the left, the same three top entry lanes on the left, the same backbox animation, and each has a spinner with a 5-position rotating light in roughly the same place.

But yeah, no bagatelle on Soccer or Super Soccer.

Top Score = Soccer + Lawman (also has a free ball gate... Atlantis and C37 don't).

#14 8 years ago

Soccer has two spinners. I remember when the local pizza place replaced Soccer with Top Score in late '75. I am guessing that was how their agreement with the distributor went. I noticed all the similarities between the two machines then.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Anyone have info on what the prices were for them when they were released?

I saw an Atlantis with the bill of sale that the owner had bought brand new NIB from a distributor back in1975 - he paid $750.

#16 8 years ago

I have a small list of actual dated invoices of games when sold new, here:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?images=invoice&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

Look for the image in each listing that is labeled "Invoice".

Scans are sent in by users of the site. I invite anyone to do that, if you find original, dated, invoices from distributors.

Nowadays, manufacturers sell direct, without a distributor, so these dated invoices would be welcome, too.

Jay

#17 8 years ago

Thanks for that. Interesting stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prices-for-ems-when-they-were-new and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.