(Topic ID: 279645)

Prices Dropping ?

By SLeRiC

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“PiN prices ?”

• Going UP 160 votes
      68%
    • Going DOWN 27 votes
      11%
    • Holding Value 50 votes
      21%

(237 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bryan Cranston mike drop.gif
    070AFE77-18BA-49BE-A6EB-F0F5150680F8 (resized).jpeg
    4BDD1866-8D57-43CA-9C66-00E8698219E5 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-10-29-16-26-59_kindlephoto-300244330.png
    Screenshot_20201028-020304 (resized).jpg
    3634918376_5a540c4e28_z (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20201017-135237__01 (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ejs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from athens95:

Isn't this like the 1 millionth thread on this?

10 million by Christmas.

2 months later
    #97 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Do we have any economists here? 2020 has obviously been the perfect storm for really increased prices. What does it take to go the other way? NIB is higher than ever and all older games are up across the board.

Not professionally speaking. But I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that increase of new games will bring up prices of the older games for a number of reasons. One being keeping them proportionate to the new games.

Also pinball is arguably making a social comeback (barcades etc) which will drive up the demand. People might shop for new games and get sticker shock and while still wanting a game will resort to an older one. I actually think Stern's home model Star Wars will be a best seller. That makes 0 sense for all of us here on Pinside etc but we are the extreme minority.

Everyday I talk to my friend who is in the pinball business for a living and the pulse is around here people are BEYOND thirsty for machines. Of course we had a huge local retailer close earlier this year. Ironically it was the 2nd week into COVID purely a coincidence but talk about good timing. I have videos and pictures on my computer that would probably ostracize me from here with the things that were thrown into the garbage many years ago because pinballs and parts had little to no value and nobody wanted them. We almost had to pay people to come pick up Flashes and Firepower projects. If I had this information back then I would have kept every post. I passed on free semi populated playfields that we not in that bad of shape.

I would assume we can expect an aggressive level of inflation in the coming years which should at least float prices at the same level which in a sense would decrease their value a little. Key takeaway; inflation is a tax on savings.

On a related note there is a difference between VALUE and PRICE. If prices on pins slowly rise over the years the value of a pinball hasn't really changed. It's just sliding with the dollar.

Finally one thing that throws everything off are the mods. Take a game with factory specs and throw a speaker set, PinSound, ColorDMD, plated cabinet hardware, topper, and a few other things and you could easily add on $1,500 or more to a game which couldn't be done a decade ago so easily.

When things open back up when covid "ends" people will be back out at the bars and barcades and be reminded of pinball once again so who knows if things will go the other way.

I honestly thought VR would pinch things in pinball but pinball didn't care it marched right on.

Where I live the prices of pinball are literally going up by the week. You can take that to the bank.....literally.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from BallLocks:

Holy crap. I always felt like I got into this hobby "late."

Don't feel too bad. Sounds like we have similar stories from a moving perspective. I used to have 20-30 games at a time and sold all but one off.

Some sales I made between 8-15 years ago.....

Funhouse -- $1700 (nice shape too)
    CV -- $4500ish in trades
    ST:TNG and WPT $2,000 ea
    Jack*Bot $1500
    Fish Tales $1500
    BSD $2000
    HUO Firepower $1,000
    Genesis $600
    JP $1500 (DE)
    LOTR I bought NIB $4,000
    Rollergames $700

There's more but I can't recall the prices as well or I may have too much shame.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ejs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prices-dropping-?tu=ejs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.