Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“PiN prices ?”

• Going UP 155 votes
      67%
    • Going DOWN 27 votes
      12%
    • Holding Value 48 votes
      21%

(230 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

070AFE77-18BA-49BE-A6EB-F0F5150680F8 (resized).jpeg
    4BDD1866-8D57-43CA-9C66-00E8698219E5 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-10-29-16-26-59_kindlephoto-300244330.png
    Screenshot_20201028-020304 (resized).jpg
    3634918376_5a540c4e28_z (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20201017-135237__01 (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 10 months ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Houses, cars, pins all look up to me

You can add RVs, boats and off road vehicles to that list.
    People want to go out and do outdoors things.

Also collectibles like coins, comic books, action figures, guns etc.

#102 10 months ago

A couple of TZ pins have sold for $17 K in the last 2 months here in NZ.

#103 10 months ago

Rare guitars are never out of favor!

Quoted from phil-lee:

Currently pinball machines enjoy "Hard asset" status. Hard assets like diamonds are hoarded and sales controlled to keep prices artificially high.
    Many Investors want hard assets versus dollars (Real Estate, gold/silver, guns etc). Some items considered hard assets for a brief period (rare guitars, 50's classic cars) have fell out of favor.
    The Coin-op Business model has always encourage keeping strict limits on income generating equipment becoming prolific by hoarding, destruction, and artificially contrived prices.

#104 10 months ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

That is crazy. Once Covid is over... I would happily hand deliver my nice sample TZ for that price. Would be a nice vacation and I would visit my buddy RD on the trip.

#105 10 months ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I feel like I should load my collection on a ship and go retire in New Zealand or Australia.

#106 10 months ago

I believe that's New Zealand Monopoly money, before the greenback exchange rate.
    If not, wow.

#107 10 months ago
    Quoted from madtown:

Rare guitars are never out of favor!

Most have been documented and are in Collections. Very few new examples are being produced (debatable).
    The most rare, desirable examples are listed as Stolen, or buried.
    A Friend allowed a measure of his Sales Commission from a Music Store go to purchase Martin Guitars for 25 years.
    He insisted his investment outperformed the Stock Market.
    Can't prove that but I am sure he did very well. I visited his "Vault" and was amazed. OEM.

#108 10 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Most have been documented and are in Collections.

Nope.

Quoted from phil-lee:

The most rare, desirable examples are listed as Stolen, or buried.

That's a negative.

#109 9 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

I believe that's New Zealand Monopoly money, before the greenback exchange rate.

Correct. About $US 12k.
    For me it’s about supply and demand. IFPA and Pinside membership grew exponentially from about 2008. These are surrogate markers for the total number of buyers out there. Levelled off a bit in the last couple of years but still growing. Plus dynamic has changed. In the 1990’s it was an arcade based business. One machine, many players. Now it’s more home based with one player, many machines. Essentially the demand has risen faster than the supply and the only new supply are $6k+ machines. In the medium term I see prices still increasing as the volume of new pins is not satisfying demand. There are significant barriers to new manufacturers so this won’t be solved overnight.
    COVID-19 has some short term impact. An increase in home entertainment and some restraints on pinball manufacturing. Net effect overall is adding to the increase in second hand prices from what I can see in Europe, Australia, NZ and USA.
    If people think prices are dropping where is the evidence. An asking price is not a sold price. When someone needs to sell a pin to buy a GNR or AIQ, their asking price might be more realistic, but it doesn’t mean the sky is falling or the fundamental market has changed.

#110 9 months ago

Either people have unlimited space to keep adding all of these new pins, GNR, LZ, Alien, etc. so they don't have to sell to make room or there are a ton of new buyers eating up the inventory. Maybe it's time of year, but there is not much stock on the used market right now. I've been going through the top 150 and looking for possible future titles and very little is for sale for the games I'm looking at (certainly not close), for example past Marvel titles. That makes people looking for a certain title pay more to just get one.

Prices going now; forget about it.

#111 9 months ago

I have this theory that when people quit asking for ancient band pins we've finally reached the downfall of the pinball resurgence.

#112 9 months ago

How many people here are about to have a few extra grand because our government is close to sending us more money AND have been working with normal paycheck this whole year? I have a feeling a lot of the people here fall under the income level, but were able to still work and will now have extra pinball money. My check alone won't buy a new topper, but if I take my wife's we are there baby.

1 week later
    #113 9 months ago

Overall, going up. IMO.

There will always be good deals and exceptions to be found. Like routed games from the last year or two that have sat unused and still do. Watch for those, but everything else is climbing slowly, it seems.

#115 9 months ago

It's my opinion that higher rated pinballs from the 1998-2012 period are likely to have the most growth in value over the next few years. High print run, poorly rated pinballs from the 1970s-1990s are going to keep going down in value. Space is one of the biggest constraints in the pinball value market. Space for the collectors to keep them. So they will keep releasing their least favorite pinballs, and interest will be low. I'm too new to this hobby to name off some examples, my opinion comes from my observation of other collectible markets.

#116 9 months ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Yeah but that's before pre GnR. JJP has ruined the industry. GnR will be going for $20000 and everything else impossible to give away. It's not a bubble burst but a whole new bubble - GnR bubble!

crazy thought, not everybody wants a GNR. I played an SE and hated it and have yet to see an LE or CE.

#117 9 months ago
    Quoted from renvhoek:

It's my opinion that higher rated pinballs from the 1998-2012 period are likely to have the most growth in value over the next few years.

If anything we are already and will continue to see the opposite. The post Williams era continues to show declines on the whole.

We have a recent uptick of sales price on many subpar games from this era due to the ever increasing price of brand new games propping up this more modern era games. Once Covid is over we will see the reality of this short uptick return to normal.

We also are already seeing many more recent games continue to take a hit.

Pre 2000 are classics and limited. Lots more new collectors in the hobby. Will be interested to see how many stick around once the world gets back to normal social stuff

#118 9 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If anything we are already and will continue to see the opposite. The post Williams era continues to show declines on the whole.
    We have a recent uptick of sales price on many subpar games from this era due to the ever increasing price of brand new games propping up this more modern era games. Once Covid is over we will see the reality of this short uptick return to normal.
    We also are already seeing many more recent games continue to take a hit.
    Pre 2000 are classics and limited. Lots more new collectors in the hobby. Will be interested to see how many stick around once the world gets back to normal social stuff

It seems this topic comes up yearly. Good clean games always a strong market. Player routed games priced low as they should be there is always a market. Player condition games priced at a premium it contracts every 18 months for a few months. Space is limited and lately been a lot of good games in the last 10 years. TZ and Indy are great games but require a deeper colllection.

#119 9 months ago

I got our government deposit today. First round we got more and we decided to spend it around and realized everything we were doing was also in high demand. This time it's going in the bank. I do have a feeling though these checks just make it easier for people to throw more money at games. Prices will continue to be on the rise for all games.

Someone argued space issues, but there's more people coming into the hobby and those selling to relieve their space are getting top dollar from new people in the hobby with government deposits to spend. Not to mention all those people that have money to burn cancelling vacations and eating out.

Anyone try finding a good deal on crab and prawns this year for New Year's dinner? No good deals around here and more expensive than ever. Luxury items are up all around.

#120 9 months ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Same with me, I started getting permits right during the peak. Township permit office was slammed. Also driving to work see a pool being installed almost every other week crazy.
    I got my shell for 7k( normally 14k) and did almost all the work but digging the hole. Local landscaper installed it for me for 5k including crane rental. So all in I was at around 15k. I don’t have deep pockets but after 12 years in the military learned how to make a dollar go far.
    Also started this hobby with $200 As a Christmas gift and have evolved it into a game room worth around 16k and have a second car as profit from busting my nuggets fixing broken games, being honest and transparent has always been a guiding principle.
    This hobby has actually helped me further my career as an air craft mechanic get more job offers because of my mechanical and electronics background. Guess people usually are only good at one or the other.

I feel ya. I’m a mechanic and my 30 years has given me expertise in all things pinball repair. Woodworking? Check. Electronics? Yep. Done. Mechanical? Please...

I’ve restored about 8 pins and am working on #9. Fun.

#121 9 months ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Overall, going up. IMO.
    There will always be good deals and exceptions to be found. Like routed games from the last year or two that have sat unused and still do. Watch for those, but everything else is climbing slowly, it seems.

Out here in the New England area prices are still climbing IMHO.

Watched a DE Playboy vanish overnight off CL for $1800 2-3 weeks ago, ad wasn't up even 24 hours. I just picked one up for slightly less just a day or two before and was curious so kept an eye on it. For some reason they are hot right now, they were $1000 pins a year or two ago.

I remember seeing DE Star Wars listed for $1800 to $2500 in the same time period, now? $3500-$4500

#122 9 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Out here in the New England area prices are still climbing IMHO.
    Watched a DE Playboy vanish overnight off CL for $1800 2-3 weeks ago, ad wasn't up even 24 hours. I just picked one up for slightly less just a day or two before and was curious so kept an eye on it. For some reason they are hot right now, they were $1000 pins a year or two ago.
    I remember seeing DE Star Wars listed for $1800 to $2500 in the same time period, now? $3500-$4500

While I do not disagree with anything you posted, I would never suggest that “listed prices” really mean much of anything related to the current selling prices. Same with “retail prices”. Those are always well above actual selling prices of used pins on Pinside and new pins from distributors. Newbies probably realize this. I have not seen much movement in prices in my area in the last 6 months. Average working beater EMs are 600-1200 System11s are all over 2K, and any decent B/W from the 90s with a DMD is getting hard to find for less than 3000-3500. Less maybe a random No Fear or beater Party Zone.

Same trends have been going on from year to year for the last 12 years. Machines increase in sale by 100-300 each year. It somewhat follows the NIB prices. When NIB prices drop off for these luxury toys (prolly never), possibly the older pins will drop. But right now, there are so many people getting into the hobby and just buying their first machine, it’s really getting hard to find any deals at all.

OP, don’t worry about it. Just look for a deal that’s right for you and it will never matter what is “happening with the pinball market”.

#123 9 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

there are a ton of new buyers eating up the inventory.

This.

#124 9 months ago

The Stern backlog says enough.

#125 9 months ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

The Stern backlog says enough.

That’s a tad misleading as they have not been operating at full capacity for a long time. But backlog is always good! Lots of companies have very concerning backlog numbers headed into 2021, due to uncertainty.

#126 9 months ago

Greetings USER . BIT Says --No-- !! with as much Mecs ,modes ,integration into a pinball game as i ever seen ,it is only a 3k game if it is in a turd state of shape/play .
    Any Fine playing Good example of STTNG will not be 3k . And still Blows most of the New Stern titles having just been released . END OF LINE !!!

Quoted from rollitover:Hanging out with the 3k Next Generations.

#127 9 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s a tad misleading as they have not been operating at full capacity for a long time. But backlog is always good! Lots of companies have very concerning backlog numbers headed into 2021, due to uncertainty.

Yes for sure. I think there are plenty people just waiting for games they ordered. The demand is there clearly and it’s in that backlog. A lot of great titles coming out of that backlog.

#128 9 months ago

Backlog means demand > supply
    When demand > supply prices rise
    Pretty simple.

#129 9 months ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Backlog means demand > supply
    When demand > supply prices rise
    Pretty simple.

Some might argue that when this supply starts being met, that people will then, due to room issues, be releasing current games out of their collection into the market in mass, thus leading to lower prices on older titles.

#130 9 months ago
    Quoted from renvhoek:

Some might argue that when this supply starts being met, that people will then, due to room issues, be releasing current games out of their collection into the market in mass, thus leading to lower prices on older titles.

More likely lower prices on more modern titles.

Classics are just that...

Modern games are being cranked out at an astounding pace and let’s be honest that many Sterns are essentially very similar in overall feel.

2 months later
    #131 7 months ago

SHooT! EVERYTHING getting more expensive in USD. (inflation) A shitty new Stern pro version will be over $7K soon.

#132 7 months ago

POTC CEs are down to around 30K.

Buy! Buy! Buy!

2 weeks later
    #133 6 months ago

A collectible card game called magic the gathering has just gone through some interesting changes we can look at, should we so desire.

Wizards of the coast owned by hasbro just doubled their retail price on their latest release,
    “Timespiral remastered”. I say doubled, it might be a little more or less.

They have also made moves to eliminate the local gaming store from their model. Utilizing Amazon. I hope those local gaming stores are watching.
    I look at wizards move partially as the locals gaming stores have been closed for more than year but Amazon delivers today, and largely never stopped.

Amazon can do this to almost any market now. (And they know it)

Profit is being grabbed right now today. I expect to see new prices retail prices double in the next 2 years. I’m certainly not saying this is a good thing.

So I guess my ultimate answer, yes I think prices are going up...

On many things.

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside