(Topic ID: 75171)

Prices & Demand Falling? 2013 seems like "price drop" has become the norm?

By too-many-pins

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bcgameguide
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Prices trending down & why?”

• I see no real change in prices 42 votes
      13%
    • Prices are down because there are less people coming into the hobby these days 4 votes
      1%
    • Prices are down because of all the great new machines coming out. 127 votes
      40%
    • Prices are just coming down to a more realistic range for used arcade equipment and were crazy before. 94 votes
      30%
    • OTHER 12 votes
      4%
    • I disagree and actually think prices are still trending upward. 39 votes
      12%

(318 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pins.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have not been buying or selling much this Fall but it seems like prices are dropping on most machines and machines have been for sale for much longer these days. Up until this Fall it seemed like anything with a half way reasonable price was sold within hours of it being listed. But over the last couple months I see machines listed at fair prices that have been for sale for days or even weeks. Are prices headed back down to earth or does it just seem that way right now because I have not been trying to buy anything lately?

Are all the new great titles flooding the market? Is there less interest in pins these days? What does everyone else see and what are the reasons for the new trend of lower prices on most non "A" list machines?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I moved out many older pins in favor for newer Stern. If it meant I had to drop prices on some of them, that was okay by me. I did notice that I had to go pretty low on many to move them, and interest was very low with some. Some had no interest at all...

A couple of your machines were machines that got me thinking more about what I have been seeing lately. $500 for a Firepower II seems way to cheap and it took almost a week for you to sell it.

I also saw a Diner listed locally to me for $500 and it wasn't already sold when I contacted the guy a few hours after it was listed. A year ago that machine would have been gone in minutes at $1200. I wasn't able to grab the Diner because I have a broken foot and it needed to come up steps but $500 is crazy cheap on that title.

Prices just seem very low these days on titles most of us would love to own. I am not talking about $5000 and up machines just nice earlier SS stuff. Rarely do I even look at machines over $2000 and I am more of a Data East & William's System 11 guy myself.

#23 5 years ago

Thanks for all the replies and all the poll votes. I think everyone looking to buy machines over the next few months is thankful to see prices trending downward or correcting a little but hopefully this is because of all the great new games coming out and not because of lost interest in these unique machines.

Just from talking to a few people in the hobby it seems like a lot of people buying $6000 to $8000 new machines are selling several cheaper machines to make space or raise cash to help offset some of the cost of their new machine. So I think this has been a big part of the market being flooded with great titles being sold a little cheaper this year.

Hopefully things will level off some in 2014 and it will become a little easier to figure out what a "fair price" to pay for each title will be a little easier to establish again. Right now it seems like demand & prices are all over the place on "B" and "C" list titles so it makes it much harder to decide what is the "right" price to be paying for some machines.

#34 5 years ago

I think there are a couple ways of looking at interest in price trends or what machines are actually selling for. To me - I am most interested so I know what a "fair price" is when buying or selling. I don't want to pay $1500 for a $1000 machine but I also don't want to be the guy trying to sell a $1200 machine for $1500. So to me I am more interested in price trends so I know what to sell machine for or what to pay for machines than I am to know if our collection is going up or down i value.

Hobbies cost money and pinball - like all other hobbies - will & should cost money. I just don't want to be the guy paying full retail at Starbucks for a cup of coffee when a block over the Boy Scouts are selling it for 50 cents a cup.

It is funny because a few people have made the comment about there being too many post talking about stuff like this and not enough talk about machines or playing pinball. To me - I am sick of hearing 105 different views about what JJP or Stern's next game should be or LED's in this or that. Let alone all the talk about why is it taking JJP to get pins shipped or when is --- going to start shipping - etc.

I wish you would see more post about restoration techniques, how best to repair ---, etc. and less talk about the next $8500 machine 90% of the people here can't afford. Not everyone is buying several new machines each year or all "A" list machines.

I don't have the money to buy new machines - very few machines in our collection are even DMD machines and I don't own an "A" list machine because I don't have $5000 or more to pay for a machine that will get played a few times each month.

Hopefully threads like this will help people make educated decisions when figuring out what to pay for machines.

Anyway - keep enjoying this great hobby and everyone have a Safe & Happy New Year!

#42 5 years ago

I think what you guys are hitting on was more or less exactly what I have been thinking lately.

It seems like people with 5 or more machines tend to be selling off a few great earlier titles to make room for or fund a newer machine or two. In the 4+ years I have been in the hobby I have never seen $1200 to $2500 machines sit so long when posted at "fair prices".

Really cheap "starter machines" & EM's seem to be doing OK and holding their own and most high end machines seem OK also but the lower priced DMD machines just seem to be selling much slower than they have in the past.

Someone just posted a RFM a little while ago at $2100 and it looks like it is still for sale with several comments about how cheap it is but still not sold. A few months ago a nice one at $2500 would have been gone in minutes. There is also a Whitewater for sale not too far from us right now for $2000. I can't remember the last time I saw one that cheap!

#43 5 years ago

Before I get emails about the Whitewater it is on Craig's List in Central New Jersey if anyone is interested.

#48 5 years ago

Very interesting so far!

Please keep voting and give examples of machines selling either cheap or high that you have seen sold or know of selling in the past few months. My guess is trending down by about 10 to 20% on a good many machines recently?

#55 5 years ago

It just seems like these days a lot of people are selling off a few $1000 to $5000 machines to buy a new JJP or Stern and now the market is a little flooded with nice used pins so prices have dropped some this Fall. I expect we will see a rebound by sometime the end of next year but this Spring & Summer will be interesting for sure!

Crazy thing is a good many pins under $1200 to $1500 are worth double their asking price in parts and people are still not buying them. When I buy a pin I figure if it is worth double what I pay for it in parts it is pretty much impossible to not make out OK on it.

Don't get me wrong - I don't part out many machines - but I always figure I can't go wrong if I pay 1/2 of the parts value for a machine regardless of condition. And I love having parts in my bins to bring nicer old machines back to life. Some parts you just can't buy at any price so it is always nice to have stuff on hand when you need it.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

I think that most people in this thread are referring to DMD machines or maybe even system 11 era machines. I think EM or 1970's era machines are in a completely different market. At least in this neck of the woods, it seems that these machines can't move at any price. I do wonder if that dynamic could hit the DMD market at some point in the far future.

To me there are actually 4 different pinball markets:

First is run of the mill EM's or common early SS Machines - that market seems flat and has been since we have been in the hobby. For several years now those machines have been in the $200 to $500 price range.

Second is the better EM's & early SS machines - that market has been all over the place with some neat EM's and great early SS machine dropping in value and some climbing. (FLAVOR of the month titles)

Third is the machines we tend to love - System 11 machines, Data East Machines & cheaper DMD titles. That market seemed like it kept climbing over the past 4 or 5 years at about 5% to 20% per year depending on title. That is one of the markets that has seemed to have dropped off some the past few months.

And lastly is the higher end DMD machines as well as the new Sterns & JJ's WOZ. "The money people". That market seemed pretty stable and climbing up till there were too many new machines coming out and really got hit hard when the MM remake was announced.

Since we are most interested in the second and third market that is the one I pay most attention to and that seems to be taking a hit over the past couple months.

But regardless which market we talk about it seems like prices & demand has dropped off some since Sept or Oct and 90% of the machines I have seen for sale just are not selling quickly like they had been over the past couple years. There are exceptions - but for the most part prices seem down and sales of machines seems to have slowed lately.

Again thanks for all the votes on the poll and comments. I am trying to look ahead to 2014 and decide what direction I want to go with our collection. Which reminds me HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 70.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 18,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    www.retroarcade.se
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 24.50
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside