(Topic ID: 75171)

Prices & Demand Falling? 2013 seems like "price drop" has become the norm?

By too-many-pins

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by marcand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Prices trending down & why?”

• I see no real change in prices 42 votes
      13%
    • Prices are down because there are less people coming into the hobby these days 4 votes
      1%
    • Prices are down because of all the great new machines coming out. 127 votes
      40%
    • Prices are just coming down to a more realistic range for used arcade equipment and were crazy before. 94 votes
      30%
    • OTHER 12 votes
      4%
    • I disagree and actually think prices are still trending upward. 39 votes
      12%

(318 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pins.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shacklersrevenge.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 10 years ago

I moved out many older pins in favor for newer Stern. If it meant I had to drop prices on some of them, that was okay by me. I did notice that I had to go pretty low on many to move them, and interest was very low with some. Some had no interest at all...

#13 10 years ago

They got me thinking too. I really like Firepower 2. If someone told me they'd give me $500 for it a few weeks back, I would have declined and laughed. When I started to rethink my collection a little and cut down from 30+ machines, for me at this time to upgrade to newer requires me to cut down and thin the herd. I also could use the space back, because they are in my home, so it seemed like a win win. I was at the point where I could not fit one more pin in the door, and it's never fun if you're not organized and tripping over your prized pins.

The biggest reason for me ''upgrading'' WAS/IS that there are too many really cool machines coming out or that have been out. I've had almost every pin I can think of, so I know what I like by now. I'll play a game like Metallica Pro, or Avengers and then that solidifies my thinking to just keep it more space manageable and newer for the time being- I love a lot of the newer stern pins.
    When I went to sell, I was really surprised at the lack of interest. I believe it's a combination of bad timing and that they are b and c, pins. If it were closer to Allentown, I think the Firepower 2 would have lasted 2 minutes.

#40 10 years ago

It just became stupid for some games. I scratch my head over a game like WH20 for example. It's 20 years old, and up until the last few years was a $1500-2200 game all day long, which feels spot on for what it is. Almost over night, it becomes $3500-$4500. For that kind of money, I'll jump in a brand new game (pro)- fresh and not played to death for the last 20 years. There are a lot of examples like this though. Another is Ripley's Believe it or not. I can remember seeing this game for $1400-2000 all day. $2000, and that was considered crazy to pay for it. When I started watching it climb over 3k, I just shook my head and moved on.

Recently, as I looked for my next Stern, I studied. I wanted something that was real good, but not something everyone has been targeting or talking a lot about. Two games that used to be in the low $3,000 area have been LOTR AND TSSP, which I consider Sterns bread and butter premier pins. LOTR has launched in to mid to high 4k range, but TSPP has remained in the low 3k range. I have seen 2-3 in my area listed for around $3100. When one came up on ebay for $3000, I bid and won and couldn't be happier, great shape, nice game.
    That's not to say I haven't seen them in the 4k range, but I just won't pay that.

Sometimes there are pins or prices that remain somewhat normal, and before you jump on the next new pin, it's best to look behind for a gem. TSPP is one of those examples.

#54 10 years ago

Well this is the thing that has been discussed before. You take a game like TSPP. Great theme and loaded, I mean it is a loaded pin. I was just looking at it yesterday thinking okay, what would not be on a pro?- what would they chop out? For the pro, The homer head would probably stay. The upper playfield would be gone, as well as the garage door. That would probably just be a shot. No crossover monorail ramp obviously, the spinner would probably be there, captive ball bart that moves on his skateboard would be replaced with a plastic over the captive ball with a Bart image. Maybe a character figure or two chopped out, and your itchy and scratchy drop targets would be replaced with standup targets. It seems like a bargain even if it's in the 4k range!

However, the current premiums are fancy looking birds, that is for sure, but I have not yet been convinced that the premiums are worth the extra ''bread'' needed to feed the birds...with the exception of AC/DC premium.

Now there is one game that is loaded, and it's just got it all going on in its premium version vs the pro. However, after spending a ton of time on a premium I owned, I would be happy going the pro route if I was to revisit it, since I had my fun with the premium.

We're talking 2, 3 even $5,000 over the cost of a pro for some extra features (TRON)
    Is it really worth it? At the end of the day, I just want to play a bad ass pinball game. I just haven't been convinced I guess.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shacklersrevenge.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prices-demand-falling-2013-seems-like-price-drop-has-become-the-norm?tu=shacklersrevenge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.