(Topic ID: 75171)

Prices & Demand Falling? 2013 seems like "price drop" has become the norm?

By too-many-pins

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bcgameguide
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Prices trending down & why?”

• I see no real change in prices 42 votes
      13%
    • Prices are down because there are less people coming into the hobby these days 4 votes
      1%
    • Prices are down because of all the great new machines coming out. 127 votes
      40%
    • Prices are just coming down to a more realistic range for used arcade equipment and were crazy before. 94 votes
      30%
    • OTHER 12 votes
      4%
    • I disagree and actually think prices are still trending upward. 39 votes
      12%

(318 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pins.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bmunn1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 5 years ago

I believe many of the the top Bally/Williams games will get remade. So on the high end we can expect prices for those pins to top out at $8000 for NIB then less for lower conditions. The top of the market has been reset for all but HEP like restorations. Folks are more interested in the NIB and most buyers have limited space and funds to buy their collections. So something has to go to fund the NIB. Since the market has reset at the top it has trickled down to the b,c and d titles. Flipping pins is much harder since most folks are going to highly selective for a title they desire to add and some will limit to titles that hold there value better than others. The beater market is really going to suck. System 11 and older is going to crater. New people entering the hobby generally started playing on 90's and later machines so they will lean to the newer models.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

It bothers me that people make assumptions and predictions about how games that are not even out yet (like MMR or even Stren's Mustang pin) will affect the overall market. They could both be flops, they could both be great and industry changing revelation titles. Once the games are out and for sale to play, people will then know if those relases will affect the hobby. Until then, it's pure speculation. Nothing more.
    I would like to say that the biggest game changer in recent years that I took notice of was the prices TronLE was fetching. It was a smart move by Stern and showed them that a popular and fun playing pin can be transformed into a money making cash cow. If that LE release hadn't been a sellout, I don't think they would have broke out with 3 different pin models like they have now (Pro,Premium,LE).
    So, say what you want about what prices might do in the future (speculation). Stern definataly changed the hobby, for better or worse, with the 3 different levels of pinball experience that a consumer can purchase. Much like the recent retro classic car remakes with the Charger/Mustang/Camaro having many different models/options. They have those model choices for money making reasons.

The PPS reproduction plan is far from speculation, it's very real and has an influence on purchase decisions now. Are there some risks associated with MMR yes but probability is high for success. There is higher risk assuming that it won't happen.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Games are made nice or at least maintained and the prices as they change hands generally increases. I don't see this reversing now, and I don't speculate it will improve. I can't imagine droves of collectors dumping these games at deal prices that will push the market down, just because of some new games released.

I am sure people made those same assumptions with em's and look at that market now. Times and tastes change as do prices that trend down after a bubble and/or consumer demographic and product evolution. Another thought is when older pin collectors downsize there homes thus room for pins reduces means more older pins on the market. It's the natural process that happens in most collector hobbies (paintings and other uber rich collections appear to be immune to this).

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

You forgot this one
    NIB games rising

I think the rising is temporary unless they change their production process. More specifically complete coding at or soon after production begins with Stern and Faster production from JJP.

More people are playing a wait and see approach to NIB. Will the code match the layout and theme potential. JJP seems committed to complete code but Stern does not. Stern doesn't fully grasp that collectors are their main customers and they need to make them happy. Customers are waking up to the code issue since they are paying about 3-4 grand more now for NIB then when I purchased mine. You can predict when a pin will be code complete by if they offer a premium model. ACDC was the first, Mettallica and St the others I believe. You should be nervous buying an LE if no premium is announced.

My NIB Stern purchases in order of purchase:

Family Guy - Code Complete
    LOTR LE - Code Complete
    WOF - code needs a lot of work
    SM - Code complete
    BDK - Modes still need to be coded (my favorite - would pay to complete but should not have to)

PINs I would consider if code completed:

ACDC - nearly complete
    Mettallica - needs a lot of work

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Yeah how many months/years away will the 10k NIB be?

Interesting you make that comment yet don't own a single DMD

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

iirc,
    Whoa Nelli, and Magic Girl went over

Boutique products, low number, are niche and not comparable to the general market.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Why do you find that interesting?
    Everyone can see the prices and trends in forum (s)

Valid point ( I apologize if I offended anyone) but from Pin Manufacturer perspective they only care about actual customer opinion. Or at least they should - but considering the lack of code from Stern you have to be wondering if they care at all.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I think it has more to do with technology than we think...Pinflation coincided with the introduction of the Ipad. A lot of new people came into the hobby due to the pinball app, now the pad market is reached a plateau along with a glut of new games coming into the market demand has dampened a bit. I bet it there is a quite a bit more to go before it bottoms out and that the fall will accelerate after Hobbit and MMR hit the market, of course this all just speculations.

I think it is due to the stock market recovery. People who sold for need during the Great Recession bought back and new hobbyists entered the market. So if the new folks were 16 in 1993 then they are 36 now. Most collectors I know started in their 30s. They feel stability in the job market, investments recovered, own a house and can finally afford their dream passion from their youth. iPad may have reminded them but I am not sure it created new ones. Bigger question is who is going to follow the youths of the 90's (most of the A and B titles are from the 90s so that's what they bought)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.40
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 289.00
    $ 109.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 275.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bmunn1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside