(Topic ID: 75171)

Prices & Demand Falling? 2013 seems like "price drop" has become the norm?

By too-many-pins

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bcgameguide
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Prices trending down & why?”

• I see no real change in prices 42 votes
      13%
    • Prices are down because there are less people coming into the hobby these days 4 votes
      1%
    • Prices are down because of all the great new machines coming out. 127 votes
      40%
    • Prices are just coming down to a more realistic range for used arcade equipment and were crazy before. 94 votes
      30%
    • OTHER 12 votes
      4%
    • I disagree and actually think prices are still trending upward. 39 votes
      12%

(318 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pins.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bestshot31.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 5 years ago

If it's about the economy, then why was there an uptick in the recreational or luxury area that is pinball, especially the more expensive non-NIB games this year? Was it because there were more jobs or improved economy? There has been a little more stability in the real estate market, but that doesn't completely explain the slight downward correction in pin pricing the past few months. Is it all about supply and demand? We'll learn a lot more in 2014.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

The down tick we are experiencing was 100% triggered by the official announcement of the MMR.
    Everything was fine and selling right up to that moment in time.
    Why it is continuing during the traditional upswing in pin prices? Hindsight will tell for sure. But it was 100% triggered by the MMR.

There have been many excellent comments in this thread about the various observations and theories for the recent pinball machine price decreases, or pins sitting on the market for longer periods of time; even though it's my belief that the reason is multifactorial, I would like to revisit the MMR theory:

A remake of a pin should in theory, only affect the specific pin, but in the case of MMR it may have affected the psyche of the entire pin community that nothing is sacred. People in this hobby as an investment may no longer bank on the appreciation of their machines. The MMR announcement, for example, came on the heels of a Texas pinball site listing a "highly shopped" MM for $24,000 on eBay. Could it be that people like the Texas site were responsible for the speculation of pinball machines and over-inflation of prices, and now they have to rethink their strategy?

#80 5 years ago

Although I agree that collector grade or HUO/NIB games may hold their value more than player grade or routed/re-import games, how sustainable is the collector's market? I have a couple of games that I would categorize as collector's grade, but I rather have my friends and family keep playing them and if I do decide to sell them in the future, they're going to be older, more beat up and worn. Just because I want more money for them shouldn't stop me from playing them, despite potential wear and additional decrease in it's collector grade value. A pinball machine should not like be like an original painting that just hangs on a wall. I know a few Pinsiders that have two identical Stern machines, one they play and the other still NIB, waiting for a time down the road to sell it for a large profit. Really??!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 93.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bestshot31.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside