(Topic ID: 75171)

Prices & Demand Falling? 2013 seems like "price drop" has become the norm?

By too-many-pins

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bcgameguide
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Prices trending down & why?”

• I see no real change in prices 42 votes
      13%
    • Prices are down because there are less people coming into the hobby these days 4 votes
      1%
    • Prices are down because of all the great new machines coming out. 127 votes
      40%
    • Prices are just coming down to a more realistic range for used arcade equipment and were crazy before. 94 votes
      30%
    • OTHER 12 votes
      4%
    • I disagree and actually think prices are still trending upward. 39 votes
      12%

(318 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pins.jpg

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 5 years ago

More pinball players because of virtual pinball is a fact. We have plenty of data just here on Pinside to prove it. Is it a flood of new users? That we can't say, but the effect being at least noticeable is undeniable.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I think it has more to do with technology than we think...Pinflation coincided with the introduction of the Ipad. A lot of new people came into the hobby due to the pinball app, now the pad market is reached a plateau along with a glut of new games coming into the market demand has dampened a bit. I bet it there is a quite a bit more to go before it bottoms out and that the fall will accelerate after Hobbit and MMR hit the market, of course this all just speculations.

I think it is due to the stock market recovery. People who sold for need during the Great Recession bought back and new hobbyists entered the market. So if the new folks were 16 in 1993 then they are 36 now. Most collectors I know started in their 30s. They feel stability in the job market, investments recovered, own a house and can finally afford their dream passion from their youth. iPad may have reminded them but I am not sure it created new ones. Bigger question is who is going to follow the youths of the 90's (most of the A and B titles are from the 90s so that's what they bought)

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

my two games are directly due to The Pinball Arcade on iPad.

As are my three games.. and more to come.. as I know is the same for you.

Well, PS3 for me I suppose but Pinball Arcade none the less.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I think at least part of this effect can be taken as the decline of eBay's popularity as a place to buy and sell pins.

I'd like to think so but there are consistently around 1000 pins listed at any given time. When scanning through the "completed listings" though you see far more unsold than sold that's for sure.

It's the pumping of pin prices on eBay that annoys me. That is, tacking on a 20-25% premium so the seller can cover eBay and Paypal fees.

Ebay is one of the best marketplaces there's no denying that. As a personal choice though I don't sell large ticket items like pinball machines there at all. Local, Craigslist, eye to eye, cash in hand is the best way to go.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

I'd like to think so but there are consistently around 1000 pins listed at any given time.

If a tiny portion of iPad/tablet/Xbox/PS3 owners play "Pinball Arcade" and a tiny portion of that tiny portion get interested in owning a real pinball machine, that is a potentially huge number of people relative to the existing pinball market.

If there really are about "1000" pinball machines for sale at any given time, that could easily be swamped by just that tiny portion of Pinball Arcade players.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

If a tiny portion of iPad/tablet/Xbox/PS3 owners play "Pinball Arcade" and a tiny portion of that tiny portion get interested in owning a real pinball machine, that is a potentially huge number of people relative to the existing pinball market.
    If there really are about "1000" pinball machines for sale at any given time, that could easily be swamped by just that tiny portion of Pinball Arcade players.

That's a fantastic thought I can't wait for the first eBay sellout from the tiny portion of the tiny portion of all those "Pinball Arcade" players.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

More pinball players because of virtual pinball is a fact. We have plenty of data just here on Pinside to prove it. Is it a flood of new users? That we can't say, but the effect being at least noticeable is undeniable.

I imagine in ,ten years, there may be more young people who get their "exposure" to pinball through video games rather than the actual machine.

#108 5 years ago

I think this is true right now! Video pinball goes at least as far back as the Atari 2600. It has remained steadily available even as physical pinball on location has vanished in many cities.
    </blo

#109 5 years ago

Williams Hall of Fame got me back into pinball.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from Prefect:

I imagine in ,ten years, there may be more young people who get their "exposure" to pinball through video games rather than the actual machine.

Isn't that happening now? I would venture to guess that the number of Pinball Arcade plays exceed the number of real pinball plays today.

Even as a pinball owner, I think I've logged more games on Pinball Arcade than on real machines.

#111 5 years ago

2014 will test this hobby....

2 weeks later
    #112 5 years ago

One of the future challenges will be repairing machines. There are a lot of collectors getting new Stern machines, or JJP , etc... As they start to have issues, many will find it difficult to get someone to fix their machine. This will introduce HUO machines with minor electrical issues into the used market. Hopefully this will be a buying opportunity for some of us.

#113 5 years ago

market has too many good machines out that are readily available. I see the price trend to continue downwards.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

One of the future challenges will be repairing machines. There are a lot of collectors getting new Stern machines, or JJP , etc... As they start to have issues, many will find it difficult to get someone to fix their machine. This will introduce HUO machines with minor electrical issues into the used market. Hopefully this will be a buying opportunity for some of us.

I think that is the real caveat... who is going to work on my pinball machine?

There are a handful of local people that will around me, ( me included). But unless you are an insider, you have no way to know who those people are let alone how to contact them.

What happens to those machines then?

#115 5 years ago

The guys at Farisight who make "Pinball Arcade" should jump into this thread! It's nice to hear the testimonials.

I got a buddy to try a bunch of tables on his iPhone since he was thinking Fish Tales was the greatest pinball ever. He had no sentimental reason for it. After trying a few tables on "Pinball Arcade," he saw what I was talking about.

Now I just have to convince him to buy many cheaper pins instead of hunting for the one Monster Bash...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    £ 32.00
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.00
    $ 19.99
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 12.95
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside