Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinJim
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E29C1DAC-1936-4566-8D94-F29C0B5A4DDF (resized).jpeg
    8CCA2613-FF15-4F3F-B5E0-9E86A02A6221 (resized).jpeg
    BD1770AE-2586-4CBF-AF76-F2FA723F0125 (resized).jpeg
    537DEC8B-AE21-4882-8CFD-E4FA5F9F329D (resized).jpeg
    8E909BE1-FA61-4D85-AE19-B3D3FF015E24 (resized).jpeg
    1CAAF89B-DAAA-498C-BF30-9FD1C65D6641 (resized).jpeg
    04B0F0BA-3599-4715-AE75-3BF552350CB5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

Per OP description of a shop job.
    Full playfield tear down
    Full mechanical rebuild

So that means everything gets cleaned metal tumbled, inserts cleaned, PF waxed, assemblies disassembled, cleaned & rebuilt.
    Rebuilding pop bumper assemblies.
    Four flipper assemblies to rebuild.

IMHO, "mechanical rebuild" does NOT include polishing metal. That's more "restoration" work.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I do cut some corners with polishing to arrive at a middle ground (to cut out tumbling) when time is an issue. I'll hand polish some of the larger visible pieces, and then use a drill (with various sanding/polishing attachments) for screw heads, and drill and bench polisher for large pieces like guides, lockbars, legs.

*nods* Do you consider that a 'rebuild' or 'restore', though? To me, as a buyer (and someone who's had to shop/rebuild games countless times when operating), a "rebuild" dosen't include polishing, touching up art, replacing plastics with new ones, etc. (And yeah, I consider all those items on the same level..)

3 weeks later
    #39 4 years ago

Well done!

IMHO, that's not a "shop" job, but a "restoration". Either way, it came out really well.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

I honestly don’t know how you could fully tackle TZ in 8 hours. Not without taking a lot of shortcuts. Has anyone come near that? Granted, I totally disassembled the clock, gumball machine, etc...
    I agree everyone has their own definition of what it means to shop vs restore a game. Certainly I did not do a ground up restoration, but to be fair, my machine doesn’t need it. I’ve had it 20 years so it didn’t see a ton of route time.
    I’m guessing it was $400 or $500 in parts, if you include the LED set and Ingo clock board. Honestly though, I had a lot of the parts on hand already like flipper rebuild kits, coil sleeves, etc. I’ve been collecting TZ parts for a while, just didn’t have the time to get the job done. Sad to say it’s probably been 10 years since I’ve shopped it, but it doesn’t get a ton of play. I’m sure it’ll get more now, and my STTNG will get less.

He's referring to a 'SHOP' job, not a restoration.

When I would shop my on-location games (including my TZ), it did not involve removing the gumball machine. Or the clock. Or every metal guide. It involved fully cleaning the playfield, removing the ramps to do so. Wiping down the ramps and subways. Giving the playfield a good waxing. Replacing any rubbers that were starting to fray. Cleaning the other rubbers that were still solid. Rebuilding all flippers. Replacing any bulbs, switches that weren't working, flashers, etc. The point of a shop job was (back in the 90's) to get it spruced back up and out on the floor so it can make money, and folks wouldn't be upset at dirt, burnt out bulbs and such.

(After I left one company, they started sending in their games to our local distributor, whoh charged $500 for a shoip job, and this is what they did. It didn't include buffing and shinening metal parts, or rebuilding anything not broken (like the clock and gumball). If anything unexpected WAS broken, or anything more than a switch needed to be replaced (like a coil, linkages, etc), then those prices for parts were tossed in on top of the shop cost.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-to-shop-a-tz?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.