Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 173 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by teekee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Price Policing poll (good or bad)”

• Good 111 votes
      38%
    • Bad 95 votes
      32%
    • Doesn't matter to me 89 votes
      30%

(295 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

treasureofthesierramadre.jpg
    246235d1361454637t-laughing-hysterical.gif
    246235d1361454637t-laughing-hysterical.gif
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    heres-the-text-message-conversation-th.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoJoBear.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 10 years ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

I'm in the car business, and the price police are MUCH worse in this biz fyi.

We don't exactly have Kelly Blue Book for this hobby. Pinballprice, mrpinball, boston pinball, and pinside are really only good for getting out of the parking lot and into the ballpark when it comes to prices.

Pricing police and pricing cheerleaders, at least in my opinion, are a natural phenomenon born out of a completely unregulated market and that the both act to bring order and stability to the market.

Take away the price police, and the price cheerleaders will drive pin prices unnaturally high. People buying in at such a time become mistaken about what the community is really willing to pay because the non-buyers simply say GLWTS and keep their pricing opinions to themselves. A (comparably small) crash ensues. We see this on a smaller scale every year as we move from the holidays into the summer.

Take away the price cheerleaders and the price police drive prices unnaturally low. The exact reverse happens and people selling at this time sell their machines for far less than what most would pay. While this is good for people getting into the hobby, it's bad for sellers because it devalues the time and effort they put into their machines. I speculate that owners that might want to sell a pin will be less likely to keep it well-maintained. Why pay for that high-end restoration if you might just sell it at a loss.

What if we have neither? This is what I call a "sucker's market" or otherwise known as "Ebay Syndrome". With nobody shouting about what they think a pin is worth, pins get priced all over the place. The cheap pins get bought up by speculators/collectors/etc; people who can afford to hold onto them for a while. They then get posted for sale at very high prices. They don't move, but so what? There's no immediate limit to how long a pin can be sat on and re-posted. All it takes is one sucker with too much money and too little information to click the metaphorical "buy it now" button. The result is the appearance of high value pins but with an extremely low number of sells. This causes the hobby to stagnate because it naturally trends towards pins sitting in storage going unsold. It could take many years before a seller is finally forced to reduce prices.

I say both policers and cheerleaders are ideal. Their incessant arguing serves the purpose of flooding the community with as many pricing opinions as possible that covers both ends of the spectrum. Maximizing information helps both buyer and seller make the wisest choices they are capable of. This information is vital if both buyer and seller are to come out feeling like they made a fair deal. These feelings instill confidence, and healthy markets revolve around confidence. Yes it may be annoying at times, but this is the kind of market info that companies pay big bucks for.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoJoBear.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-policing-poll?tu=JoJoBear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.