(Topic ID: 146410)

Price Police Helps or Hurts?

By kporter946286

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do the Price Police Help or Hurt PS?”

• Yes! They help keep resale prices under control. 77 votes
      60%
    • No! It's annoying and dissuaded me from placing a game in the Market. 52 votes
      40%

(129 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ofo8Te7.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Pinball is in a unique position - it's gone from a niche hobby where pricing was extremely low to a hot commodity where some games have increased in value by a factor of 5. It's also developed a schism where you have the old timers who remember $800 TZs and the new people who buy NIB games all the time.
    So, the rapid inflation and splitting of the hobby base creates a lot of tension and thus price policing.

Well said. But who are you calling a old timer? Heck I started my first real job at $2.50 an hour. And that was good money.

Quoted from Jdawg4422:

I have contacted people on craigslist and gave them sales numbers and guides to show that their price is too high. I will then leave what i think is a reasonable offer and tell them to get back with me if they decide to get to my number. Has worked more than a couple times.
    usually the price policing bring the negotiations for the other people. Or atleast let others know they should be negotiating.

Works for me sometimes also. Most people at first get offended. But after getting tired of dealing with tire kickers, no shows and ridiculous lowball offers they call me and take my offer.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

Do the Price Police Help the PS community by keeping prices as low as possible or does it hurt PS because sellers don't want to deal with the never ending BS and its not worth the hassle?

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

More idiots with money in this hobby than any other.

Idiots? If you had 10 times the net worth that I do, then every dollar you spend would be equal to me spending $10. So if we bought the same pin, its impact against your finances would be one tenth that of mine.

Seems like the idiots would be the ones without much money, or buying on credit...

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Seems like the idiots would be the ones without much money, or buying on credit

Just because I don't have the money to spend on the hobby that I would like to have, does not make me a idiot. I pay cash for whatever I buy.
    The price police seem to confuse us New people more than they help sometimes . You have one saying price is two high then the next saying the price is about right. Both seem to give different machine conditions. Sometimes after reading a thread you don't know if it's a fair deal or not.
    The price police are needed. I think some go about it the wrong way.

1 week later
    #56 8 years ago

I can personally do without them but I think it probably helps. Opinions and bumps flow because of the price police. Also you can get a good impression what certain people are like from their comments. You learn who the condescending pricks are & likewise you learn who the genuine helpful people are.

#57 8 years ago

Do the Price Police Help the PS community by keeping prices as low as possible or does it hurt PS because sellers don't want to deal with the never ending BS and its not worth the hassle?

Guessing you did not expect the poll to turn out this way?

#58 8 years ago

It is just another form of haggling. If someone is wasting time trying to beat you up, they are wanting what you have to sell in most cases but just not at that price. How do I deal with haggling when I sell stuff? I don't take it personally. Someone will buy it or they won't and I'll have to lower the price. Anyone who waste a lot of energy haggling, wants your item before someone else who would be willing to pay more buys it.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Guessing you did not expect the poll to turn out this way?

I didn't know what to expect. But they love em! So keep up the good work

#60 8 years ago

I was more talking about guys bitching over $300. Against long term Pinside Users not Guys who just show up with an overpriced game out of the blue. But I admit I am of the minority. Doesn't make me wrong just proves the masses aren't always correct!!! Lol!

#61 8 years ago

PP helps, but PP can sometimes be wrong. AMH did sell at $8,500.

Want to avoid the drama as a seller? Just do not allow a thread to be linked to the sale (last time I checked it was possible).
    Want to get exposure? Open a thread. You'll get positive and negative feedback and a number of fair comments. One guy saying a game is overpriced means little. 3 or more stating the same thing and have documented sales to show give a clear indication.

PP has an "invisible" positive side-effect: people think twice before posting a sale add at an inflated price.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

PP helps, but PP can sometimes be wrong. AMH did sell at $8,500.
    Want to avoid the drama as a seller? Just do not allow a thread to be linked to the sale (last time I checked it was possible).
    Want to get exposure? Open a thread. You'll get positive and negative feedback and a number of fair comments. One guy saying a game is overpriced means little. 3 or more stating the same thing and have documented sales to show give a clear indication.
    PP has an "invisible" positive side-effect: people think twice before posting a sale add at an inflated price.

I agree with this. Most people are reasonable. People dont comment if it's a few hundred dollars. And if someone really wants it, they'll pay the price regardless of what others say.

#63 8 years ago

Price Police is horseshit, if you're going to buy an item without taking the minimal time required to research the fair market value then use that and other factors, cosmetic appearence, work done on said machine etc. then be prepared to be taken for a long ride, that works both in terms of buying and selling, most of us know that a JM isn't worth 5k and that a MM is worth more than 2K so thusly PP will simply appear foolish, the whole premise that some dickhead will go and post on a market ad thread that a game is overpriced or even underpriced becomes a non issue if you have done the menial task of going into the transaction aware. If I posted a game for sale and a bunch of said dickheads want to comment on how the price is too high then who cares? I wouldn't do that anyway because it won't sell, I will say if you can get twice what you're pin is worth then by all means do so, I blame the consumer if he gets taken and not the seller. I've overpaid and only blame myself, but I wanted the game and didn't feel like waiting for it to come up again and gave the seller his asking price. I remember local pinheads telling once that I'm driving up prices by paying more than the games fair market value, but for who, them? Nope, they would never spend $500 more than the pin is worth and be content to wait possible years for it to come up again, not me, can't do that, must have it, but thats my choice.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

if you're going to buy an item without taking the minimal time required to research the fair market value then use that and other factors, cosmetic appearence, work done on said machine etc. then be prepared to be taken for a long ride

How many posts do we get for simple, basic, game issues? Things like, the game is randomly giving out multiball, game is doing ball search, etc etc. People are lazy. It gets old, but its never going to change.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Price policing sucks... You wouldnt do it in person - but you do it on the internet? You dont like the price - great move on.

Nah, disagree. I've policed the price in person, when I have arrived and the game wasn't near the condition it was for the asking price. You can only tell so much from some photos and inaccurate text such as "game is in excellent condition", then you find it actually isn't represented well in the photos or text descriptions. I told them they were asking too much. I even tried to make a more reasonable offer. They said "this is what we see this game is worth", I respond with "no it isn't" and left with my money. When folks push the prices up with inflated asking prices that are not actually selling, then every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks their machine should be worth that price. Price police may or may not have an effect, but nothing is gained unless something is said.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Price Police is horseshit, if you're going to buy an item without taking the minimal time required to research the fair market value then use that and other factors, cosmetic appearence, work done on said machine etc. then be prepared to be taken for a long ride, that works both in terms of buying and selling, most of us know that a JM isn't worth 5k and that a MM is worth more than 2K so thusly PP will simply appear foolish, the whole premise that some dickhead will go and post on a market ad thread that a game is overpriced or even underpriced becomes a non issue if you have done the menial task of going into the transaction aware. If I posted a game for sale and a bunch of said dickheads want to comment on how the price is too high then who cares? I wouldn't do that anyway because it won't sell, I will say if you can get twice what you're pin is worth then by all means do so, I blame the consumer if he gets taken and not the seller. I've overpaid and only blame myself, but I wanted the game and didn't feel like waiting for it to come up again and gave the seller his asking price. I remember local pinheads telling once that I'm driving up prices by paying more than the games fair market value, but for who, them? Nope, they would never spend $500 more than the pin is worth and be content to wait possible years for it to come up again, not me, can't do that, must have it, but thats my choice.

Your paragraph is too long
    - The Paragraph Police

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from jchiu:

I agree with this. Most people are reasonable. People dont comment if it's a few hundred dollars. And if someone really wants it, they'll pay the price regardless of what others say.

See TeeKee's TWD Premium thread. That's and recent b.s. on a few other threads that were less than $500 between Seller and P.P.

#68 8 years ago

See TeeKee's TWD Premium thread. That's and recent b.s. on a few other threads that were less than $500 between Seller and P.P.

lets shed a little more reality on that TWD. That to me is very different than an older game that condition is a variable and is not actively being produced in unlimited quantity.

That was a NIB game where a buyer may not have been aware that they are being rerun in a month. I chimed in as it was a $500 permium on a simple flip. I also made it clear that for someone that "wants it now" it may be entirely worth the cost. (and it apparently was since it sold on clist> maybe iggnorant buyer, maybe did not care and wanted it now)

That sort of price policing is different than even if a simple thing liek the game was no longer in production or a LE that was not available. I was commenting on price more so based on timing and the games being rerun shortly.

Either way, there are lots of lurkers and I think there are times where price policing helps (and the poll shows that the majority agree). There is also the reality that ANYONE can simply check the box to not allow forum discussion on their market ad. I ahve done that before when I dont care for comments. Other times the bumps are welcome.

#69 8 years ago

who the f came up with the term price police? all I can see is a bunch of dudes who somehow feel the need to tell someone the game they are considering is too high compared to what they paid whenever. I think it's a need to boast more than eanything else. it doesn't hurt to take a few seconds and read what is written then either absorb it or dismiss is as it's been stated here on pinside over and over: Price is determined by current market conditions as well as what someone is willing to pay for it.

#70 8 years ago

WhySnow Merry Christmas. I am done with this subject.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Nah, disagree. I've policed the price in person, when I have arrived and the game wasn't near the condition it was for the asking price. You can only tell so much from some photos and inaccurate text such as "game is in excellent condition", then you find it actually isn't represented well in the photos or text descriptions. I told them they were asking too much. I even tried to make a more reasonable offer. They said "this is what we see this game is worth", I respond with "no it isn't" and left with my money. When folks push the prices up with inflated asking prices that are not actually selling, then every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks their machine should be worth that price. Price police may or may not have an effect, but nothing is gained unless something is said.

As stated in my previous posts... this is part of negotiating... Price police is standing there with a sign saying "THIS IS OVERPRICED"

#72 8 years ago

WhySnow Merry Christmas. I am done with this subject.

cheers to that and happy holidays!

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

As stated in my previous posts... this is part of negotiating... Price police is standing there with a sign saying "THIS IS OVERPRICED"

Well, yeah. Here's an example. Seller in this Craigslist post: Bally Star Trek on CL. Ad reads "Going on ebay for over $2900. Asking $2450 obo. Even has "carving" in the side which gives it character." Photos show condition fair at best.
    cleveland.craigslist.org link

WTF? Really? Where'd they get such pricing info? The last three SOLD listings on EBay show sales at $500, $635, and $510. Average Ebay sales price history on Boston Pinball shows $819. This is a RIDICULOUS asking price for a Bally Star Trek in this condition. And it will sit there, no doubt. I'd buy it if it were in the reasonable price range of sales history, as it is close to me.

As you say, here's my sign: "THIS IS OVERPRICED"

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Where'd they get such pricing info?

Quoted from wayout440:

Average Ebay sales price history on Boston Pinball

and yet, you can quote something that is even more up to date and comprehensive like Mr. Pinball 2015 and price police still balk and want those 2003 prices....it's the internet, the wild west for opinions. And no, "most" people would not behave this way in person on a CL ad for example, they would just ignore it.

If you open a For Sale thread you are asking for it I guess.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-police-helps-or-hurts/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.