Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mememe_3d49ca3041787f3b24ee6d6b38db973b-1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8570 (resized).jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

The other day I was reading as usual, seeing posts about things being more expensive, anger over Stern price increases..... you know, the usual.
    It occurred to me that probably much of the anger or disappointment revolves around the prices getting higher but the product is the same. That's understandable, it's less value.

So I began to wonder.... if prices continue to go up, and reaches a "new normal" at some unknown ceiling...... wouldn't (at some point) that also translate to increased build budget for the pins themselves? We hear about mechs being cost cut and things removed/toned down from time to time.... with a higher price point, that (should) mean the build of material $ put into a game is also increased. Unless they (Stern) intends to just pocket the difference, but I don't know if they can do that long term. The value proposition of anything has to reach an equilibrium in all things or it fails (or at least goes into serious decline). What do you think?

In the case of pins (if they follow other industries), then the ratio is somewhere between 1-6 and 1-10 on the markup of parts. Since Stern pin prices have increased 1K-3K (Prem & LE's) and still increasing further, would it be worth it to you to see more increases if there was a corresponding increase in the build of materials? What would Godzilla look like with an additional $300-$500 of toys (or better toys) and is that worth reaching 13K-14K as a new baseline for Premiums? (Godzilla just being a generic example of course)
    I think we have seen that effect in toppers..... now if they don't have a light show, moving action, and game integration people are upset. The new baseline appears to be 1K vs. a few hundred dollars a couple years back. Are people happier with the newer more expensive toppers? I think so. The margin has increased, but value has increased as well, so it all balances out.

I'd be so curious to see if price wasn't a real concern (or less of a concern), what would be the pinnacle for Stern's ability to construct? Maybe we would see something closer to that potential as prices continue to climb and a new established baseline is formed.
    I'm sure that would price some people out, heck seeing how prices were 6K just a few years ago it is shocking next to what they are now - but that didn't drive people out in large numbers either. For some pins, it seems like they have more toys than before but not all pins have benefited. For the ones which have, is that not partly due to an increase in BOM? If prices were still in the 6K-7K range would the games today be more sparse than they are?

Just a random thought.... sometimes something that appears bad, turns out to be good.

What do you think?

#2 2 years ago

Another price thread and it's only noon-ish in NYC. Why won't y'all let Levi rest?

#4 2 years ago

I think they are just trying to surround Levi.

#5 2 years ago

Wear him out by naptime so you can get some time to yourself in the afternoon. I'm a parent, I get it.

#6 2 years ago

Stern is raising their prices because the costs of raw materials, labor and transportation are all up. Someone makes a part for Stern, and their raw material, labor and transportation costs have all increased so they pass that along to Stern. Stern's labor costs go up, and they have to raise their prices due to all of their costs (labor and supplier) have increased.

#7 2 years ago

If Stern is firing on all cylinders while having a year long backlog then yes, they should raise prices. Significantly. Like $15k for a premium. Or more. Hot cakes!

If Stern is scrambling to get parts and “we” all are competing for 10 games production a month, then no. Because that means stick a fork in it.

#8 2 years ago

IBTL (In before the Levi)

#9 2 years ago

If the money is worth half as much, certainly prices on all things would naturally double.

$2 a play for pinball/$5 for 3 games...

#10 2 years ago

I think pinball manufacturers have figured out a long time ago that price is no object to someone that wants a machine. This obviously sucks for people that don't have a big payroll or cash flow, (like me) but for collectors and enthusiasts that were already shelling out $10k, $12k, $15k, etc. no big deal for them.

People on here, facebook, and other places will always complain about price increases until they're blue in the face. But ultimately, for every person that complains, two people will be fine with paying the price increase if it's a machine they want.

Do I think it's a good thing prices increase? No, since it squeezes out the "poor" people more, and also that higher prices doesn't equal higher quality.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

I think pinball manufacturers have figured out a long time ago that price is no object to someone that wants a machine. This obviously sucks for people that don't have a big payroll or cash flow, (like me) but for collectors and enthusiasts that were already shelling out $10k, $12k, $15k, etc. no big deal for them.
    People on here, facebook, and other places will always complain about price increases until they're blue in the face. But ultimately, for every person that complains, two people will be fine with paying the price increase if it's a machine they want.
    Do I think it's a good thing prices increase? No, since it squeezes out the "poor" people more, and also that higher prices doesn't equal higher quality.

Might be the only common sense post I have read on here in a long time. Agree 100%. I can pay $10k + for a game, but just refuse to do it. Just not worth it for me as I can spend that money in better places. I also refuse to pay $4000 for a sorcerer, so I am kind of out of the game either forever or until prices go down which will probably never happen. I do feel sorry for low income people who would love a room full of NIB games, but there is always location play for them.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Might be the only common sense post I have read on here in a long time. Agree 100%. I can pay $10k + for a game, but just refuse to do it. Just not worth it for me as I can spend that money in better places. I also refuse to pay $4000 for a sorcerer, so I am kind of out of the game either forever or until prices go down which will probably never happen. I do feel sorry for low income people who would love a room full of NIB games, but there is always location play for them.

Hey, I've seen your comment before, did you just paste it in on one of the many price increase threads? True statement anyway!!

#13 2 years ago

There's an easy way to find out the answer to your question. Stern has recently built machines like Batman 66 SLE and EHOH 40th anniversary. Is the build quality any higher than the other versions? Price was of no concern on those.

#14 2 years ago

Whats this? A pinball pricing thread? I've never seen one of these before. Great idea!

#16 2 years ago

The big question is how many units they actually produce and sell and what the price ceiling is for the number of pins they produce.
    Right now it seems way too low, given the backlog and scalping.

How many $25k Elvira 40th were made and sold? These are definitely pins for the “money is no concern” customers.

But the bread and butter pro/premium machines, which should be built at much larger numbers than totally price insensitive enthusiasts exist, will have a price ceiling that will prevent sales.

I don’t think it’s $10k like now.

But it’s likely less than $20k. I for example would not buy a new Stern for more than $12k today. If next year’s profit sharing, bonus and pay raise from my employer suck, I may just bail on my GZ pre-order as I may not feel comfortable blowing that cash on a pin then.

But if Stern can sell them for $15k or more, they absolutely should.

#17 2 years ago

To everybody posting: Please no demand curve diagrams.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Same for me. My limit is about one month's take home pay from my day job. 12 years ago I bought a WH20 and a NGG together for about one month's pay. Now one game alone is closer to 1.5 month's pay, and my pay has increased 60+% in 12 years. Small sample size, but on those particular games, they've increased about 7x faster than my income. So they are no longer worth the hours of time I spend working to make the money to pay for them. I have no bills, everything I own is paid for, but I get more fun per dollar in pretty much anything else I purchase.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

IBTL (In before the Levi)

I think I wore him out in the Deposit Flipper thread.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

There's an easy way to find out the answer to your question. Stern has recently built machines like Batman 66 SLE and EHOH 40th anniversary. Is the build quality any higher than the other versions? Price was of no concern on those.

This isn't what I'm saying though...... those pins were cosmetic improvements, not playfield enhancements. The core game is the same across the board from premium on up. What I'm saying, is would it be worth it for prices to be higher across the board if what populates the playfield is better/more?

#21 2 years ago

I scroll down and scroll down just hoping for Levi's response....nothing. I'm bummed. Please hurry Levi!!

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from insight75:

I scroll down and scroll down just hoping for Levi's response....nothing. I'm bummed. Please hurry Levi!!

It take him some time to copy and paste his default response.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

It take him some time to copy and paste his default response.

Fair point. I wish he had nothing else to do but respond to these threads.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

What I'm saying, is would it be worth it for prices to be higher across the board if what populates the playfield is better/more?

Yes, it’s called the Pro/Premium/LE model. But your implied question in your first post is “Will Stern finally stop cutting costs now that their profits are at an all-time high?” I kinda doubt it, but there are a few encouraging signs, like the playfield support pegs going away. Also I’m not sure how much more cool stuff you could pack into Godzilla Premium, the game is loaded.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

The other day I was reading as usual, seeing posts about things being more expensive, anger over Stern price increases..... you know, the usual.

You read and you read... and yet you STILL felt the need to make ANOTHER pricing thread. You should read more.

#26 2 years ago

Chill out guys…The op has a point here…and to be honest this bubble is full to bursting…but I’ll be back on in a few hours…going to grab some lunch with Kendra

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Unless they (Stern) intends to just pocket the difference...
    What do you think?

I think that was as far as I had to read and it was "case closed" for me.

The biggest scheme they pulled off was the Pro-Prem-LE tier. Make the "old base" game the "Premium", jack the price, cut out some toys and code features, call that the "Pro" but sell it at the "old baseline" price. Absolute genius.

#28 2 years ago

Waiting for the new Pinside subthread: Economics of Pinball

I’m just hoping that things go back to normal for operators:
    The average player PAYS a few bucks to enjoy the operators machine that costs nearly 10k.
    The player gets a value because they otherwise would not have access. They are paying for a service, an amusement.

Pinball became affordable and trendy and people figured “I could buy one for 3k and save myself the few hundred bucks of coin drop I’d spend over the months at my local bar.”

Now the machines are quickly rising out of reach for the average person so it again becomes more economical to pay the operator for the amusement/entertainment value of their machine.
    $10 for a handful of fun games on a brand new machine is more affordable than 10k for a machine delivered in 2 years.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL OPERATORS. ESPECIALLY IF THEY MAINTAIN THEIR MACHINES.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Yes, it’s called the Pro/Premium/LE model. But your implied question in your first post is “Will Stern finally stop cutting costs now that their profits are at an all-time high?” I kinda doubt it, but there are a few encouraging signs, like the playfield support pegs going away. Also I’m not sure how much more cool stuff you could pack into Godzilla Premium, the game is loaded.

Sure you could add more..... that's the point (IMO). As it stands now, you get one "big" moving toy in game if you're lucky..... Dino on JP, Building on GZ, Projector on STH, Helmet on Mando, House on EHOH, Hyperspace thingy on SW...... why not more? Would a game be better if it had three "big" toys/mechs vs one? Or conversely, if Stern spends $100 on a toy today, if the BOM allowed $200 instead.... what would you get and would it be worth it? Higher prices allow for that possibility. I wonder how many designers really wanted something in their game that just didn't make the cut because of BOM?

At the current price point, what you generally get is one "big" toy and a few smaller ones.... and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm saying: prices are still going up and that may not be a bad thing, if you get more in the coming generation of pins. I think if a good theme came out, and it had toys that did things you hadn't seen before AND there was more of them than you had ever seen on a playfield..... at that point does want trump cost? Would you pay 12K for a premium that blows your mind with every toy being animated? I think many would. Look how many want GZ.... Lots of toys, and a really cool "big" toy that's very different. Desire trumps cost when value is high enough.

I don't think higher cost translates to higher quality, as quality is already assumed at this level (with varying real-world delivered results). Thus the only thing which actually sells is more features (Toys/Mechs). I also don't think cosmetics translates to additional value for most people as you aren't buying a pin to use as furniture (but maybe some do).

#30 2 years ago

Price increase is a good thing if you’re a seller….bad if you’re a buyer

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

….
    $10 for a handful of fun games on a brand new machine is more affordable than 10k for a machine delivered in 2 years.

Haha so true! A few miles from where I live is a barcade that charges $10 entry with all games set to free play. They have all the latest Sterns and JJP games, so for $10 a visit, you can play GnR, Wonka, GZ LE, Rush LE, Mando, AIQ, DP, JP and older games (including the CGC remakes) for many hours.
    That’s how I knew I wanted a GZ, because I could play it for a loooong time.
    $10k would pay for three years of barcade free play on all these tier-A games so buying one is not a financially sound decision for me, just an indulgence.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Price increase is a good thing if you’re a seller….bad if you’re a buyer

That depends. If you have a decent collection, you can sell a game to buy a game. I now I'm doing it, and this is fun!

Now, if you want 20+ games, well, good luck with that.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Would a game be better if it had three "big" toys/mechs vs one?

CSI had 3 great toys: the skull lock ramp, the centrifuge and the microscope. Stern went on to sell more units than any game in history. Wait, that’s not right…

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

CSI had 3 great toys: the skull lock ramp, the centrifuge and the microscope. Stern went on to sell more units than any game in history. Wait, that’s not right…

Yeah it sounds like nonsense when you say it that way because it is. There are so many flaws in this post and most pricing posts. One classic game after another has a single significant toy - Theater of Magic, Attack from Mars, Whitewater, on and on. I would argue Godzilla Premium is as packed as anything we’ve ever seen including Twilight Zone.

The machines have increased BOM over the last few years and it’s probably as much related to increased sales volume as increased prices. Businesses that teade higher margins for lower volume are often profitable but don’t grow because you can’t spend margin % and the actual $ aren’t available for continued investment.

Three things that people need to start acknowledging in these posts:

1. A modern pinball machine is an extremely complex machine using a significant amount of mechanical engineering and computer programming using hand assembly in the USA. In what world does anyone think that should cost $3,500? You don’t “deserve” to have a pinball machine in your house it’s an extreme luxury and the only period it wasn’t priced that way was a decade long period where the industry was almost dying and demand was low. The comment above about the value of playing on location vs at home is about the smartest analysis I’ve seen yet.

2. The price of older, limited supply used things is connected to the price of the new things. Simple concept no one seems to understand. If a new Stern Pro is $6,500 why would anyone continue to value a Demolition Man at $2,500? I see people complain about older games prices rising and it makes no sense.

3. Inflation is pervasive worldwide. That especially will effect luxury items with growing demand. Prices have gone up significantly in the last few years and wait times for new games have gone up by 5, 10 or 12x. Stop saying this is going to hurt the market or make claims they priced too high and will ruin everything. It makes zero sense. Demand is higher than ever and not slowing down. That’s for everything not just pinball.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from sawyerfamilyaz:

1. A modern pinball machine is an extremely complex machine using a significant amount of mechanical engineering and computer programming using hand assembly in the USA. In what world does anyone think that should cost $3,500?

1000x ack!!! When I lift the playfield of my WoZ, I’m blown away that machines like this aren’t more expensive. Comparing this with other complex products, pinball machines, from a engineering, complexity, assembly perspective are a really good deal. Their handicap is that they are toys for a niche market so there’s only so much this market can bear. The CE versions try to expand the price ceiling. Successfully.

#36 2 years ago

What’s interesting is what non-pinball people think these games cost. About once a year I’ll ask a newbie what they think the games cost. The answer has almost always been right around $5000 for the last 20 years. They were too high in 2000, but they’re too low now.

Oh, and Rush Premium has 3 great toys: the drum clock, the Time Machine magnet mech, and the lock behind the drop targets.

My point about CSI was that lots of toys don’t guarantee a blockbuster game. But honestly I miss my CSI.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

The average player PAYS a few bucks to enjoy the operators machine that costs nearly 10k.
    The player gets a value because they otherwise would not have access. They are paying for a service, an amusement.
    Pinball became affordable and trendy and people figured “I could buy one for 3k and save myself the few hundred bucks of coin drop I’d spend over the months at my local bar.”
    Now the machines are quickly rising out of reach for the average person so it again becomes more economical to pay the operator for the amusement/entertainment value of their machine.

I agree, but would alter this to only operators that maintain their machines. Broke ass machine = no plays from me. Operators are suffering due to the increased cost of games and lack of increased price to play. But, we already have a thread discussing that further.

#38 2 years ago

“We have so much money let’s add more cost to our product for the customer’s benefit,” said no company ever. Nice thought though.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

... Nice thought though.

Was nice the first 100 times too.

#40 2 years ago

Anything that Elwin is designing seems to be worth the price increase.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Chill out guys…The op has a point here…and to be honest this bubble is full to bursting…but I’ll be back on in a few hours…going to grab some lunch with Kendra

Well someone pm’d me and said it was bad form to clone Levi for 1 joke post and that they thought I was him for a minute.

I mean I’m certainly crazy…but I’ll never be able to fill those shoes…and I learned a thing or 2 about horsepower

Now back to Jack Tripper and co.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

CSI had 3 great toys: the skull lock ramp

Ok, I realize this is a pricing thread, and I realize how mediocre CSI is. However…

Remember the first time you saw the skull lock work in real life? That was freaking cool. The first time I played CSI was at a pizza shop in Maine while on vacation. As I walked away after 5 games that lock stood out in my mind as one of those things in pinball that makes me smile.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Remember the first time you saw the skull lock work in real life? That was freaking cool.

Yeah, I agree - one of the best mechs Stern ever designed, and Skull Multiball is really fun. I think the theme was the reason it didn’t do as well. I can still hear those evidence callouts: “Maggots.” “Flies.” lol!

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Yeah, I agree - one of the best mechs Stern ever designed, and Skull Multiball is really fun. I think the theme was the reason it didn’t do as well. I can still hear those evidence callouts: “Maggots.” “Flies.” lol!

There's just only so much excitement to be generated by "microscope multiball."

The dregs of the Stern bargain-bin license era.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The dregs of the Stern bargain-bin license era.

The code was what really killed it for me, especially that 1-shot “wizard mode”. I bet it would still do great on location though, if the location mostly had players.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Stern is raising their prices because the costs of raw materials, labor and transportation are all up. Someone makes a part for Stern, and their raw material, labor and transportation costs have all increased so they pass that along to Stern. Stern's labor costs go up, and they have to raise their prices due to all of their costs (labor and supplier) have increased.

Dude. Your so full of $heet!.

Godzilla parts are few and far between other way cheaper games with more in them.
    Lame post. Lame thread. Enough of the price gouge statements as it by now well known these spike turds only cost 3k or less any fkn model.
    The extra is all Greed increased to follow the buy and flip scalpers part. Why leave money on table for them stern thinks

At some point the flippers will be holding thier stock NIB and not getting more than msrp.
    Can not wait for that to happen to these fkn scalpers...
    Some turd bought 2 nib Godle somehow and flipped both for 16k.. Hope he gets some bad universe karma for scalping pinball toys. Damn prick.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My go-to example in any discussion of good vs. bad callouts. AIQ definitely rocking those microscope vibes.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

Dude. Your so full of $heet!.
    Godzilla parts are few and far between other way cheaper games with more in them.
    Lame post. Lame thread. Enough of the price gouge statements as it by now well known these spike turds only cost 3k or less any fkn model.
    The extra is all Greed increased to follow the buy and flip scalpers part. Why leave money on table for them stern thinks
    At some point the flippers will be holding thier stock NIB and not getting more than msrp.
    Some turd bought 2 nib Godle somehow and flipped both for 16k.. Hope he gets some bad universe karma for scalping pinball toys. Damn prick.

Wait I am confused. Are you saying that a pinball machine should cost $3,000? Or that the cost to manufacture is $3,000?

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

Dude.

+1. My JP was supposed to ship this past Dec. I'm not even sure if I'll see it this year ?
    What's worse ,is I see some Fuck Face Flipper selling a NIB here on Pinside.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I see some Fuck Face Flipper

I like this so much: FFF.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-increases-a-good-thing?hl=jake35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.