(Topic ID: 228650)

Price Increase On NIB Stern Machines In Australia

By ausretrogamer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 9.41.57 AM (resized).png
    DP (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Retail US price is $5799 for a pro, Converted to AUD is about 6200

They wish.

$5799 x 0.71 exchange = $8167

Container freight (based on a full container) say $250 per unit, by the time you add on all the fees etc.

However, that’s sort of worked out backwards...

You start at the wholesale and work from there.

I’m not sure what the latest FOB wholesale is, so I won’t speculate numbers.

rd

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

My math was backwards, seems there is quite a bit of markup. Is supply more limited down under that distros can charge so much more?

There is only one distributor per country.

The price is fixed. No discounts or “street prices”. Also remember that the advertised price includes the 10% GST tax.

The final markup isn’t huge. In fact, compared to other consumer items it’s small, like around 15% small. For that 15%, you have to warehouse, distribute, and sort out warranty issues. Not a lot of markup at all when you consider that.

Australia does sell a lot of NIB Stern pins though, so it’d add up.

rd

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

You've probably got a good relationship with your distro and may receive lower prices... certainly you have incentive to defend them in online forums.

Yes, you can buy a new machine in the states and ship it back. But you can’t just plug it in and play it ... they are region zoned.

I’ve done all the sums a dozen times. Here they are for an Aussie. These figures are ballpark but they’d be pretty close.

The maths:
    New pro “street price” say $5600 USD = $7887 AUD
    Drive it to the depot $0
    shipping it LCL $600 by the time you add all the fees and add ons
    GST payable when it lands $788
    Pirate board to make it work $250

= more than what AMD charge.

If they were cheaper, there would be new pins flooding into Australia.

The one guy did do it, he got the pins at a wholesale rate and shipped in containers (much cheaper) - that would work out less of course. Eventually he got shut down. But one guy buying one pin at US retail and shipping it - the maths doesn’t add up.

rd

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Nope, was referring to the person who I quoted.

Weird. That quote wasn’t showing before.

Frolic would certainly have a good relationship with his distro! Customer of the year!

rd

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Currently the UK LE price of £9995 is fine with me,

That’s $20,000 NZD!

Ours are $15,000. Including our GST (vat)

That’s a big difference.

I won’t even pay the $9,900 NZD for a pro (Approx £5,070) so no way I’ll pay $15,000 for an LE - $20,000 is friggin mental.

$20,000 would buy 8-9 classic SS pins. I know what I’d rather have ...

At the end of the day, if the UK pinball community all banded together and stopped buying from the UK guy, he’d have no choice but to either drop his prices or lose the agency (from lack of sales)

rd

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-increase-on-nib-stern-machines-in-australia?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.