(Topic ID: 290212)

Price gouging

By Crumbalimb

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210505-150242_Chrome (resized).jpg
    F0889D6E-EB8D-4085-B527-36ACC4EDC130 (resized).jpeg
    20200513_210001 (resized).jpg
    16166410021224165063504864211443 (resized).jpg
    1967-electric-toilet-tissue-electric_1_f88fea72d619b49d18bf41f04606429d (resized).jpg
    20190516_124450 (resized).jpg
    A7F836F9-D657-40E4-88AB-B43A2DAFB7ED (resized).jpeg
    you-ve-been-wiping-your-05 (resized).jpg
    zzz1Untitled (resized).png
    TYSMIHA (resized).jpg
    20210320_090221 (resized).jpg
    planet_of_the_cats_first_poster_by_codypette_200_de069eq-fullview (resized).jpg
    20201110_063205 (resized).jpg
    20201110_063036 (resized).jpg
    67946524_2628496480514299_9205719214462074880_n (resized).jpg
    cobra2.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crumbalimb:

I put them on my Do Not Buy from list.

I got screwed over on my first game buying from a distributor (my first two, I bought direct from the manufactures or their partner PPS).

Bought a game that just went into production. Just assumed all distributors sold at relatively the same price. Bought a GOT LE for 900
    (showroom unit) more than MSRP, no I'm not including tax. I put him on my list and haven't looked back. Also no it wasn't his last one. Not sure if anyone remembers but GOT LE remained unsold from 99% of distributors for at least 3 years.

I understand if a game/item isn't being made anymore but a brand new game... WTF.
    He even gave me something called the "good guy discount".
    Seems it's better practice to just sell at MSRP, yeah you loose a couple hundred but you gain repeat business.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

whining about being gouged?

with toppers I'm a little more forgiving, but it all seems shady. I'd prolly steer clear of those vendors given a choice. It'd be like walmart selling a PS5 for 1k or something, leave that for the scalpers. Or if your are gonna do it, do it on a personal account.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

This is pure capitalism. The Vendors need to make money. Times are hard right now. Gonna get much worse.

pinball sales are hot right not. the biggest problem vendors have is not being able to get enough to sale.

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

How many toppers would you have to make a profit on to pay for a Dale Junior you had to take as part of being a distributor.

This is why you see this type of behavior more often with smaller dealers. Most don't have money to sit on 50 pins for 5+ years. Everything will sell eventually... but it takes time. WWE, Kiss LE's and Hobbit's all lived in dealers warehouses, but all those are gone now. They made room for beatles platinum and primus.

Either you sell less at higher prices or sell more at lower. Seems the more successful one choose the latter. There isn't anything wrong with dealers taking advantage of a hot market. All I'm saying is it feels shady, and people like the OP and me will try to avoid dealers who do that. Like I wrote before, I wouldn't have an issue buying it from the dealer if he/she sold it personally and not through their store front.

My first dealer took advantage and made 900 extra dollars on the sale. Since then I've purchased 24 NIB pin, he could of had some/all of those sales if he wasn't shady.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Dealers left with a couple in stock will raise their price to meet this increased market value (see PBL's *outrageously* priced NIB KISS topper selling for $900 a couple years ago).

You probably had that kiss topper for a while before you raised pricing, the topper was out of production at least a month if not years. Fair market value on something like that makes sense. Some dealers do it within days (or they know its selling out so they raise pricing on the final batch they receive). OR Like with my previous post the game was still in production (but being new I didn't realize this).

I think its more on a case by case basis. That window for having supply isn't what it used to be. Especially now since manufactures are having a tough time keeping up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-gouging?tu=hocuslocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.