Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 204 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by MasterBlaster
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210505-150242_Chrome (resized).jpg
    F0889D6E-EB8D-4085-B527-36ACC4EDC130 (resized).jpeg
    20200513_210001 (resized).jpg
    16166410021224165063504864211443 (resized).jpg
    1967-electric-toilet-tissue-electric_1_f88fea72d619b49d18bf41f04606429d (resized).jpg
    20190516_124450 (resized).jpg
    A7F836F9-D657-40E4-88AB-B43A2DAFB7ED (resized).jpeg
    you-ve-been-wiping-your-05 (resized).jpg
    zzz1Untitled (resized).png
    TYSMIHA (resized).jpg
    20210320_090221 (resized).jpg
    planet_of_the_cats_first_poster_by_codypette_200_de069eq-fullview (resized).jpg
    20201110_063205 (resized).jpg
    20201110_063036 (resized).jpg
    67946524_2628496480514299_9205719214462074880_n (resized).jpg
    cobra2.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roostking.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 7 months ago

No such thing as price gouging on a toy lol. When you sell your house, are you going to sell below market value? Doubt it.

Supply and demand.

#38 7 months ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I overpaid for a chicken burrito the other day. Didn’t feel so bad because it came with rice and beans on the side.
    It was delicious.

Where? Im in the valley!

#118 7 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:Price gouging:
    Some people like giving things up the arse
    Some people like taking things up the arse
    Economics 101 or just batshit crazy? Plastic flippin toppers are not worth over $500 no matter how many shiny lights it has or how limited it is. The only toppers I own came with the games I purchased, toppers are over-rated and things have gotten so out of control with pricing-all I can do is shake my head in disgust. I literally cannot fathom why someone would spend thousands of dollars on a piece of plastic instead of another pinball machine or something worthy?
    It blows my mind how people are getting swept up in this artificial collectability scheme.
    Is the BKSOR topper cool-yes it is. It has flickering flames and it is shiny. Is it worth $2500+-hell no-that's pinball machine $,Supply and demand? or mainly newbies purchasing six-figure collections in one year and having to have matching toppers(must have-will pay anything)? Newbies setting absurdly high prices on second hand market hoping they stick or is it the evil distributors? Seems to be only one or two distributors selling above msrp-so not really the problem imo. If I owned a BKSOR topper and wanted to sell it, sorry but I wound not sell for what market will take but would sell for what I think is fair. Yes someone will probably buy at price gouging sales price because of hyped up demand but is it really worth it? To me a plastic topper does not justify price gouging(pathetic) but an actual playing pinball machine-umm I guess so(I have overpaid for a few)? I guess I can handle pinball price gouging(20K GNR?)-nothing new here, but I have yet to get used to the plastic topper gouging fiasco(BKSOR 2500+?-wtf)
    One good thing about price gouging is it takes the monies out of the deep pockets that may have otherwise bought another machine instead of a plastic topper and thus making the market get even more crazy. For those of you selling and buying $2500+ plastic toppers-way to go and kudos to you. For those of you who know better-keep looking for decent deals(don't get caught up in the hype)-they do still exist. I feel fortunate that my collection is nearly complete and I feel I have been there done that and purchased the majority of my games when prices were somewhat normal.
    (Also want to say that some of the distributors mentioned here are really stand up guys and have nothing to do with bs price gouging) [quoted image]

All well and good, but their is no such thing as price gouging on a luxury item. This whole thread should be deleted really.

Notice OP had not come on and said he would sell his house or other items below market value. Only matters on something he/r wants...

#128 7 months ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

I agree the term price gouging is not intended to be applied to non-essential items being sold to an audience that is not captive. Regardless, I will use the term here since it seems to be the only term that is resignating.
    I paid $1700 for a TAF in 2002.
    I sold it for $3000 in 2006.
    If I hadn't sold it and was selling it now I would be asking around $8000 for it. Was $3000 price gouging in 2006? Would $8000 be price gouging now?
    I would call either sale price *fair market value* for its time, which is simply a nicer way of saying *what the market would/will bare*.
    If new toppers stop selling for $1000 the price will come down or perhaps toppers will stop being offered by OEM's. If they sell out when priced at $1000 they will generally sell for even more in the aftermarket. Dealers left with a couple in stock will raise their price to meet this increased market value (see PBL's *outrageously* priced NIB KISS topper selling for $900 a couple years ago).
    Further, if the previous machine's topper sold out at $1000, you can expect the next machine's topper to sell for $1250 from the git-go.
    It's all stuff no one needs, so expect the price of toppers and machines to fluctuate between $0.00 and the-sky-is-the-limit.
    No new news here, but still fun to discuss every now and then.

Amazing how so many people dont get it. Nice post.

#179 7 months ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:What in all hell are you talking about? There is no justification needed if someone is willing to pay any asking price.

You know how those "govt should protect us types". They offload any responsibility for decisions. They think they deserve it more than you do, for less than the market will bear. In essence, he wants you to subsidize his purchase, by taking less than market value. He doesnt care you have bills to pay, he just cares that he gets his topper for cheap. Typical.

1 month later
    #188 5 months ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

I see nothing wrong with asking fair market value. 70s stereo equipment has exploded over the last 3 years.
    But Fleabay pricing is out of this world. Some are asking top dollar restored price for a receiver that needs repair.

The good news? You dont have to buy it.

No such thing as price gouging on toys. Be they $10, $10,000 or $10,000,000.

#192 5 months ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

I tend to agree, but the screen shot below should at least generate a chuckle. It would seem that they are testing the limits of your assertion. Maybe he'll find that special someone with more money than sense.[quoted image]

Ok, plagerism is real, I wants my $10,000,000

#197 5 months ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

That is my real issue with scalpers, whether pinball or concerts. People that genuinely want to participate can't. I don't mind the effects of supply and demand, even on TP. But being able to charge a premium isn't the same as nearly doubling the price of something, like that MMR in my screenshot. Guy must have seen it, because he went even higher! As others have pointed out, TP and pinball are different in the fact that you can do without one of them. But more importantly, when supply is artificially manipulated by scalpers, the true value of an item is hidden. That is true no matter what you are talking about. This is where patience and persistence come in: I'll wait patiently for fair deals from fair people. I don't won't give the time of day to people who have one set of standards for themselves, and another for everyone else. Part of what makes any community of hobbyists enjoyable is helping new people get into it so that it can grow and survive.
    As for the Navin R. Johnson reference: everyone should watch, "The Jerk" at least once. What a great movie. I was only 3 when it came out, but thankfully, I heard enough quotes from it over the years to seek it out. We actually used the clip of him being shot at in my old job to explain "Situational Awareness."

So kinda like the dad I was talking with earlier. They will blow up the market price, cause his princess demands it!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roostking.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside