(Topic ID: 290212)

Price gouging

By Crumbalimb

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210505-150242_Chrome (resized).jpg
    F0889D6E-EB8D-4085-B527-36ACC4EDC130 (resized).jpeg
    20200513_210001 (resized).jpg
    16166410021224165063504864211443 (resized).jpg
    1967-electric-toilet-tissue-electric_1_f88fea72d619b49d18bf41f04606429d (resized).jpg
    20190516_124450 (resized).jpg
    A7F836F9-D657-40E4-88AB-B43A2DAFB7ED (resized).jpeg
    you-ve-been-wiping-your-05 (resized).jpg
    zzz1Untitled (resized).png
    TYSMIHA (resized).jpg
    20210320_090221 (resized).jpg
    planet_of_the_cats_first_poster_by_codypette_200_de069eq-fullview (resized).jpg
    20201110_063205 (resized).jpg
    20201110_063036 (resized).jpg
    67946524_2628496480514299_9205719214462074880_n (resized).jpg
    cobra2.gif
    There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 3 years ago

I noticed some distributors are price gouging toppers and hard to find new release games.I get it, the venders see a buyer flipping and turning a fast buck on games and toppers. They probably feel they deserve the extra cash over random people buying and selling.The only thing I can do is not buy anything from those venders and buy from the honest ones who sell for the suggested retail who are not sticking it to us. I found an Elvira topper from Nitro Pinball and paid $999.00 about a week ago. Game Exchange is pre-selling Turtles for the $999.00, as well as Led Zeplin and Advengers toppers for the normal retail. On Ebay a vender is selling Elvira toppers for $1500.00!!! I have seen other venders doing the same thing over the years.
    I have never seen these guys gouging us and have bought games and parts from them. Kingpin, Marco, Game exchange, Nitro pinball,Trent (tiltamusements), Automated Services/Pinballs.com, and Game room guys.There are probably some I'm missing but any time I see a vender sticking it to us, I put them on my Do Not Buy from list.

#2 3 years ago

So, are you saying Kingpin, Marco, Game Exchange, Nitro, Tilt Amusements, Automated Services and Game Room Guys are all good guys?

By the way, I wrote the guy on eBay asking if it sell it to me for the suggested price of $999.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

By the way, I wrote the guy on eBay asking if it sell it to me for the suggested price of $999.

how’d that work out?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crumbalimb:

I put them on my Do Not Buy from list.

I got screwed over on my first game buying from a distributor (my first two, I bought direct from the manufactures or their partner PPS).

Bought a game that just went into production. Just assumed all distributors sold at relatively the same price. Bought a GOT LE for 900
    (showroom unit) more than MSRP, no I'm not including tax. I put him on my list and haven't looked back. Also no it wasn't his last one. Not sure if anyone remembers but GOT LE remained unsold from 99% of distributors for at least 3 years.

I understand if a game/item isn't being made anymore but a brand new game... WTF.
    He even gave me something called the "good guy discount".
    Seems it's better practice to just sell at MSRP, yeah you loose a couple hundred but you gain repeat business.

#5 3 years ago

It is impossible to "price gouge" on a luxury item.

What you are describing is profiteering, a more general term.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

It is impossible to "price gouge" on a luxury item.
    What you are describing is profiteering, a more general term.

Guy is looking to drop a G on a topper for a coin op game for home use and he is whining about being gouged?

Let me shit some hundred dollar bills and think about it for a sec...

#7 3 years ago

I won't buy another JJP without just going direct. No point in going through a distributor when you can buy it for the same price direct from JJP and receive it arguably faster. I ordered a GNR LE day one from a distributor, and paid the balance in full in January when requested, never received the machine and yet others that ordered direct from JJP had already received theirs by Christmas in some cases.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

whining about being gouged?

with toppers I'm a little more forgiving, but it all seems shady. I'd prolly steer clear of those vendors given a choice. It'd be like walmart selling a PS5 for 1k or something, leave that for the scalpers. Or if your are gonna do it, do it on a personal account.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

So, are you saying Kingpin, Marco, Game Exchange, Nitro, Tilt Amusements, Automated Services and Game Room Guys are all good guys?

Yes, or im saying I have bought from them and as far as I know they have never boned us by over chargeing us for hard to find items.

#10 3 years ago

Heres a novel thought:

Maybe if people stopped paying stupid prices, these prices would halt.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Heres a novel thought:

dude you are talking about pinside!

#12 3 years ago

I overpaid for a chicken burrito the other day. Didn’t feel so bad because it came with rice and beans on the side.

It was delicious.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

Guy is looking to drop a G on a topper for a coin op game for home use and he is whining about being gouged?
    Let me shit some hundred dollar bills and think about it for a sec...

So because I can,or choose to spend 1000.00 on a topper I should go to ebay and spend 1500.00 and not think anything of it?
    All I am saying is why I would buy a product from a dealer that adds to the problem of price gouging? Personaly I feel the venders should be accountable for being a part of the problem. Like hocuslocus said, their is a ton of ways for the venders to sell at higher prices by useing a personal account,but if the vender is going to advertise they have no problem sticking it to us then I am noticing, and will never buy anything from them. I'm sticking with the venders that are not focused on greed.

#14 3 years ago

I will play devil's advocate for a minute... Distributors don't get to cherry pick what games they get. How many toppers would you have to make a profit on to pay for a Dale Junior you had to take as part of being a distributor.

Granted, pinball is scorching hot right now, but I can't imagine being a distributor is a big money making venture on its own.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

but I can't imagine being a distributor is a big money making venture on its own.

Especially if they have games stocked up in inventory that no one wants and they can't sell them below MSRP.

LTG : )

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

how’d that work out?

I wrote the guy on eBay and he responded pretty quickly. He’s a distributor near Chicago and says he has a couple toppers and will sell to those who ordered EHOR from him. The couple extras he has are listed on eBay. He mentioned the fees on eBay.

#17 3 years ago

Capitalism is messy. If the price is too high it won't sell.

Quoted from Crumbalimb:

I feel the venders should be accountable for being a part of the problem

This is pure capitalism. The Vendors need to make money. Times are hard right now. Gonna get much worse.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

This is pure capitalism. The Vendors need to make money. Times are hard right now. Gonna get much worse.

pinball sales are hot right not. the biggest problem vendors have is not being able to get enough to sale.

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

How many toppers would you have to make a profit on to pay for a Dale Junior you had to take as part of being a distributor.

This is why you see this type of behavior more often with smaller dealers. Most don't have money to sit on 50 pins for 5+ years. Everything will sell eventually... but it takes time. WWE, Kiss LE's and Hobbit's all lived in dealers warehouses, but all those are gone now. They made room for beatles platinum and primus.

Either you sell less at higher prices or sell more at lower. Seems the more successful one choose the latter. There isn't anything wrong with dealers taking advantage of a hot market. All I'm saying is it feels shady, and people like the OP and me will try to avoid dealers who do that. Like I wrote before, I wouldn't have an issue buying it from the dealer if he/she sold it personally and not through their store front.

My first dealer took advantage and made 900 extra dollars on the sale. Since then I've purchased 24 NIB pin, he could of had some/all of those sales if he wasn't shady.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crumbalimb:

I found an Elvira topper from Nitro Pinball and paid $999.00 about a week ago. Game Exchange is pre-selling Turtles for the $999.00, as well as Led Zeplin and Advengers toppers for the normal retail. On Ebay a vender is selling Elvira toppers for $1500.00!!! I have seen other venders doing the same thing over the years.

I can help u here. Don't buy toppers. For me anyway they just make the game look cheese. If u like cheese go crazy but u can't get mad at people for gouging, especially in a hobby where some people have to have certain hard to find games, toppers, mods. I gave up adding anything other than personal lighting effects and don't miss it at all.

Quoted from Crumbalimb:

So because I can,or choose to spend 1000.00 on a topper I should go to ebay and spend 1500.00 and not think anything of it?

If u really want it then yes. I mean if its available for 1K and u spend 1.5 then it might be time for a stay in the local looney bin but.............

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crumbalimb:

All I am saying is why I would buy a product from a dealer that adds to the problem of price gouging? Personaly I feel the venders should be accountable for being a part of the problem. Like hocuslocus said, their is a ton of ways for the venders to sell at higher prices by useing a personal account,but if the vender is going to advertise they have no problem sticking it to us then I am noticing, and will never buy anything from them. I'm sticking with the venders that are not focused on greed.

Vendors are part of the problem, yup, rhis is similar to jjp and stern raising prices on their games, is ti not?

Let's say this is not a topper but just simply a need or desire to be fulfilled like maybe alcohol, thc or botox.. ur gonna go to the channel that will have it when you want it bad enough and they are gonna charge you what they want...

#21 3 years ago

I have a brand new never played or setup tmnt premium for sale at 6800 if anyone wants to feel good about getting a new pin at an incredible price, not having to overpay . Just sayin..shameless, sorry. It is a good deal though

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Heres a novel thought:

ding ding, we have damn winner.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

Vendors are part of the problem

vendors = Distributors. been saying this for years

#24 3 years ago

and now a word from our sponsor...

K Y Jelly (resized).jpgK Y Jelly (resized).jpg
    #25 3 years ago

Buy what makes you happy. I personally love toppers, but only buy from my distributor at retail or slightly under. They are overpriced but what isn't these days? And ,you won't lose any money on them , if that's a concern. It beats paying $400 a night on a beach somewhere ,my opinion

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Heres a novel thought:

No disrespect to you but I've seen this same rallying cry for over a decade now and everybody will always up-vote it.

I'm with you in spirit but a decade ago NIB was $4000

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

No disrespect to you but I've seen this same rallying cry for over a decade now and everybody will always up-vote it.
    I'm with you in spirit but a decade ago NIB was $4000

Toppers have become like LE pins. The whole LE thing is a racket. Throw on some painted trim with a few extras and sell for thousands more. Complaining about dealer price gouging is silly when they are priced gouged from the start. People were complaining that toppers were $1000 and now complaining that you can't get one for $1000. There is only one solution I can see and that is don't buy.

#28 3 years ago

Capitalism. Basic economics of supply and demand. Stop crying.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Toppers have become like LE pins. The whole LE thing is a racket. Throw on some painted trim with a few extras and sell for thousands more. Complaining about dealer price gouging is silly when they are priced gouged from the start. People were complaining that toppers were $1000 and now complaining that you can't get one for $1000. There is only one solution I can see and that is don't buy.

I can't see popping $1000 for a topper myself (or even $500 for that matter) but don't have any issues with someone else doing so.

If you have that much cash burning a hole in your pocket, spend it as you see fit.

$1000 extra spent on a topper isn't going to fundamentally change the experience I have playing the game. If you are watching the topper, you don't have your eye on the ball.

#30 3 years ago

I was gouged by a Stern dealer for my Maiden topper. I also think it was the absolute last one NIB out there, unless someone is hording of course.

Normally I wouldn't pay it, but I wanted it. Shame because I had one on order at the $399 price point from Stern years ago and I cancelled it because I thought is was "too expensive".

Fun times!

#31 3 years ago

I'm just over here still lost at why people want something on the top of there pin to begin with.

#32 3 years ago

The only topper I've ever wanted was the Aerosmith one. Unfortunately I missed the boat. I thought they were too expensive when they were new. And now the going rate is $1000 for it. So Stern got exactly what they wished for. Though, I'm not sure it helps them. They sell less toppers for more money. It's the exact same way they price NIB games. They sell less at a higher price. Good for them.

And no, there is no way in hell I'd ever spend $1000 for an Aerosmith topper. Some of the games I've bought in the last couple years were cheaper than that.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

unless someone is hording of course.
    Fun times!

People are for sure hoarding, I saw a skid of stern toppers in a warehouse a few weeks back.

#34 3 years ago

If I were a distributor selling toppers and saw people buying them and flipping them for double I would charge more too. Supply and demand folks. Economics 101

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I'm just over here still lost at why people want something on the top of there pin to begin with.

When High Speed came out with that cop beacon on top it was way fucking cool.

And then f-14 had 3 of them!!!

It's been all downhill since then.

#36 3 years ago

No such thing as price gouging on a toy lol. When you sell your house, are you going to sell below market value? Doubt it.

Supply and demand.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I wrote the guy on eBay and he responded pretty quickly. He’s a distributor near Chicago and says he has a couple toppers and will sell to those who ordered EHOR from him. The couple extras he has are listed on eBay. He mentioned the fees on eBay.

Ebay fees are ridiculous so I understand the markup. I bought a topper from I think the same distributor before off of ebay, no issues, transaction was smooth.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I overpaid for a chicken burrito the other day. Didn’t feel so bad because it came with rice and beans on the side.
    It was delicious.

Where? Im in the valley!

#39 3 years ago

I just bought a hard to find NIB game from J.J. at Game Exchange. Same good deal I always expect. I mentioned something along these lines, and he clearly stated that he's playing the long game, not the grab a "quick" buck game. Love me some J.J.

#40 3 years ago

It's the same idea with the LE games.A dealer in Califorina is selling a NIB Led Zepplin LE for 16k. My point is even if a rare topper was $200 and the vender was selling them at $400. Its not the topper cost that I am bitching about.Its the venders that raise the prices to take advange of it and make a cash grab.If people want to spend 1500 for a topper or 20 k for a game ,thats what the market value is and their business. I like the excuse of Ebay fees but claming $500 more for a product is cause by Ebay fees isn't even in the laughable excuse.I would expect if Ebay recived $50 for a thousand dollar item that would be high.
    And my other point is if venders choose to play the market and take the cash grabs when they can ,I wont buy anything from them and find dealers who sell at retail prices.
    As a example, a Ford dealer in Chicago had one of its new battery Mustangs at a 10k premium. Ford steped in and made the dealer sell the car at sticker because they want buyers not to feel cheated when they buy their product. If I was ever in the market for a Ford from a dealer, that dealer would not be on my list of a honest dealer (If their is such a thing).
    I think we as a pinheads should notice the venders who take cash grabs and buy from the ones who dont.

#41 3 years ago

We’re not talking about upcharging for life saving pharmaceuticals here. These are the general principles of supply and demand in capitalism. Car dealers do the same things with limited editions. Try and buy a new Corvette at MSRP- good luck.

If the temp is too hot, cool off by not buying. Owning pinball machines is a hobby of privilege. OP - consider yourself fortunate if this is all you have to complain about

#42 3 years ago

I like how some people on pinside are trying to stop the basic principles of supply and demand. I know for damn sure each and every one of you if you were a seller would also sell for market price.

I've been told before by price police that I should do the right thing and sell for less than market. "Because it's not healthy for pinball"
    uh huh yeah sure, you go and sell your stuff under market price then. Yeah right

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Especially if they have games stocked up in inventory that no one wants and they can't sell them below MSRP.
    LTG : )

C'mon...if you have to move something you can make the price work. They (STERN) cannot force you to hold inventory forever of undesirable titles if you need to liquidate to raise capital.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Well it depends- I'm primarily a Data East guy and I think the topper on Last Action Hero is pretty cool being functional. With some tower led's from Comet in there you know something is going on! Same for Lethal Weapon 3, you know when multi-ball is going down as does everyone for a block.

Hook, Jurassic Park, Tales from the Crypt? Meh. So you have a topper that just repeats the games title? No thanks, I can do without that. The Vader topper from DE for Star Wars is a flipping travesty, looks like someone just purchased the carrying case for Kenner action figures and slapped it on top. Glad mine didn't come with this tasty option.

#45 3 years ago

I think the "gouge" part in the topper scam is the perceived over valued worth of the topper. Toppers were originally added as marketing flair, a way to make a machine stand out and get more play. This meant they were usually a bolt on and not very complex. What people expect now is a fully animated, wowing light show and spectacle. What is that worth to the player? Not much. The collector? It means everything. Without a factory topper, your overpriced amusement collectible is not complete. So are you ready to spend $1500 on a box of blinking lights and screen printed plexiglass? I got way better things to spend it on, like maybe a used EM or SS machine... but truth in posting laws do require me to state I am guilty of paying extra for a topper on my MBrLE, but that was included in the MSRP of the machine, not tacked on after the fact.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

"Because it's not healthy for pinball"

By the way, and off topic, but slightly related to the quoted phrase: Can everyone please let me know when we're collectively done saving pinball? It's slightly exhausting. Is it popular enough now? Has the saving of pinball been centralized into one particular agency, company, or group?

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

By the way, and off topic, but slightly related to the quoted phrase: Can everyone please let me know when we're collectively done saving pinball? It's slightly exhausting. Is it popular enough now? Has the saving of pinball been centralized into one particular agency, company, or group?

Nobody likes pinball anymore. It's too popular.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

Let me shit some hundred dollar bills and think about it for a sec

Do you have to wipe your ass afterwards?

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody likes pinball anymore. It's too popular.

Even more OT but I liked pinball better when it was located in the back room of some seedy and sleazy bar, where you made damn sure you shit before you went there because you were NEVER going to sit on the crapper in this joint, and as a matter of fact, you only drink beer from a bottle while there because the barmaid, who looks like Earnest Borgnine, hasn't washed her cooter or the highball glasses in five years.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Even more OT but I liked pinball better when it was located in the back room of some seedy and sleazy bar, where you made damn sure you shit before you went there because you were NEVER going to sit on the crapper in this joint, and as a matter of fact, you only drink beer from a bottle while there because the barmaid, who looks like Earnest Borgnine, hasn't washed her cooter or the highball glasses in five years.

All of this is interesting, but now I really just want to see a pic of the barmaid...

There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-gouging?hl=pinball2020 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.