(Topic ID: 290212)

Price gouging

By Crumbalimb

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210505-150242_Chrome (resized).jpg
    F0889D6E-EB8D-4085-B527-36ACC4EDC130 (resized).jpeg
    20200513_210001 (resized).jpg
    16166410021224165063504864211443 (resized).jpg
    1967-electric-toilet-tissue-electric_1_f88fea72d619b49d18bf41f04606429d (resized).jpg
    20190516_124450 (resized).jpg
    A7F836F9-D657-40E4-88AB-B43A2DAFB7ED (resized).jpeg
    you-ve-been-wiping-your-05 (resized).jpg
    zzz1Untitled (resized).png
    TYSMIHA (resized).jpg
    20210320_090221 (resized).jpg
    planet_of_the_cats_first_poster_by_codypette_200_de069eq-fullview (resized).jpg
    20201110_063205 (resized).jpg
    20201110_063036 (resized).jpg
    67946524_2628496480514299_9205719214462074880_n (resized).jpg
    cobra2.gif

There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

All of this is interesting, but now I really just want to see a pic of the barmaid...

There ya go

911974B2-E961-4175-A570-BD96B7E89C38 (resized).jpeg911974B2-E961-4175-A570-BD96B7E89C38 (resized).jpeg
    #52 3 years ago

Talking about OVER PRICED ! Has anyone looked at the price of gasoline, eyeglasses, ammunition, guns, and food!??

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

There ya go
    [quoted image]

Pretty close!

gettyimages-140391745-2048x2048 (resized).jpggettyimages-140391745-2048x2048 (resized).jpg
    #54 3 years ago
    Quoted from loghome895:

Talking about OVER PRICED ! Has anyone looked at the price of gasoline, eyeglasses, ammunition, guns, and food!??

Unfortunately that’s only half the battle. Other half is finding some of those things in stock. Electronics are hurting a lot too in production.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Do you have to wipe your ass afterwards?

Are you being fucking serious?

I pay someone else to wipe it for me.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crumbalimb:

And my other point is if venders choose to play the market and take the cash grabs when they can ,I wont buy anything from them and find dealers who sell at retail prices.

Will you voluntarily pay more when a less popular game ends up in stock everywhere and dealers begin to cut prices, or will you buy from the less expensive dealer?

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Will you voluntarily pay more when a less popular game ends up in stock everywhere and dealers begin to cut prices, or will you buy from the less expensive dealer?

I voluntarily pay more when I'm getting exceptional service and support. Just did that very thing buying a car. The way you treat your customers goes a long way to getting and keeping customers, even if the price is a little higher.

#58 3 years ago

Toppers and other "official" accessories are a hot commodity now. I still think LEs should have those extras included. Skip the "real" backglasses. Who cares. Looks the same as a translite when backlit. I'd even say skip the powdercoat. Include the shit like fancy shooters and toppers.

I am a topper guy and understood the way ahead is to buy at retail when you can. NVM waiting to see if it's cool or what ppl think. By that time they are sold out and scalpers will be selling at double the price. Bought my SW topper last year even before I got the game as I knew I'd b having a SW in the house at some point. Wasn't sure if it was going to be NIB or used but didn't matter. Glad I did. NIB SW Prem is ordered and hopefully arriving in the next month or so.

Same with the STh topper. That game isn't popular though so probably not as much of a rush but I ordered & paid for the topper already. What does it do or look like? No idea and doesn't matter. It's an esthetic thing for me. Looks good when all the games in the lineup have toppers. STh looks stupid right now. Incomplete. Even had non-pinheads over yesterday and first thing they said is "ohhh why is this one missing its topper"?

Yes I could afford more games instead of fancy toppers however I am limited to 6 games(which I have) so I can waste my money on accessories if I choose to. And no I am not putting games in the living room or garage. It's a personal choice. I have no issues with a nagging wife/gf since she loves pinball. I don't want games all over the house since it's already cramped from combining 2 households into 1. So toppers and shooters for me!

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

All of this is interesting, but now I really just want to see a pic of the barmaid...

Any of you guys heard of a place called the Palm Isle?

#60 3 years ago

I guess I’m $lucky$ as i’m not a topper guy. I honestly prefer most games without a topper with very few exceptions.

#61 3 years ago

I'm a dust collector and those damn things get in the way.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I voluntarily pay more when I'm getting exceptional service and support. Just did that very thing buying a car. The way you treat your customers goes a long way to getting and keeping customers, even if the price is a little higher.

I completely agree, but I also think that level of service is a separate issue.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

People are for sure hoarding, I saw a skid of stern toppers in a warehouse a few weeks back.

God, people who buy toppers are idiots.

Which warehouse, did you say?

#64 3 years ago

Good luck with that manufacture boycott.

zcat herd 35RP.gifzcat herd 35RP.gif
    #65 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Pretty close![quoted image]

A little less frilly and a demeanor to match, but she is missing a tooth so she's on her way to a good gummer if nothing else.

#66 3 years ago

Just left Disney world, they charged me $12 a beer

I didn’t have to buy it, but I wanted beer.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Just left Disney world, they charged me $12 a beer

That's just Goofy

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

If I were a distributor selling toppers and saw people buying them and flipping them for double I would charge more too. Supply and demand folks. Economics 101

Then I would never buy anything again from you. They lose in the long run

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

That's just Goofy

What kind of mickey mouse organization are they running over there!?

#70 3 years ago

I've realized pinball is too popular the other day when a friend of 20 years who has NEVER touched my games when he's been over or shown any interest in them, calls me the other day and says he wants a pinball machine and if I know where to get a deal on one. I just said, don't bother, especially when I found out the game he was in love with was Addams Family.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I've realized pinball is too popular the other day when a friend of 20 years who has NEVER touched my games when he's been over or shown any interest in them, calls me the other day and says he wants a pinball machine and if I know where to get a deal on one. I just said, don't bother, especially when I found out the game he was in love with was Addams Family.

LOL it's ALWAYS Addams Family.

Or Monster Bash.

My Brother in Law is also on the "get me an Addams when you can find a deal on one!" program.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

That's just Goofy

Those prices are Looney Tunes

#73 3 years ago

I simply stopped buying. Lost the addiction for materialism.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Looks good when all the games in the lineup have toppers.

This is basically it. Stern knows there's enough high-end collectors with OCD who simply can't stand having a gap in the topper lineup, so they'll pay a thousand bucks for $50 worth of plastic and LEDs.

Adding a gameplay mode was even more genius. Writing the mode is a one-time cost, and the mode can be tweaked and recycled for the next game at minimal additional cost. Y'all keep watering Stern's money tree buying these toppers LOL fine by me if it helps keep the pro game prices lower...

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I simply stopped buying. Lost the addiction for materialism.

Me too.

Now I'm buying guitars.

#76 3 years ago

I just can't ever imagine getting upset about topper prices let alone actually buying one to begin with - it's like buying a mustang cobra and then putting a large cobra ornament on your roof before going out for a drive to the mall.

cobra2.gifcobra2.gif
    #77 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now I'm buying guitars

I'm buying harmonicas and pocket watches.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from jake35:

I won't buy another JJP without just going direct. No point in going through a distributor when you can buy it for the same price direct from JJP and receive it arguably faster. I ordered a GNR LE day one from a distributor, and paid the balance in full in January when requested, never received the machine and yet others that ordered direct from JJP had already received theirs by Christmas in some cases.

That is exactly what they want. Distributors benefit in their pockets.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I'm buying harmonicas and pocket watches.

Pics ?!

I love pocket watches dude!

#80 3 years ago

I'm buying beanie babies. They WILL make a come back!!! :p

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I'm buying beanie babies. They WILL make a come back!!! :p

Now THAT was the right hobby for bubble bursting threads !

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now THAT was the right hobby for bubble bursting threads !

Every hobby has bubble bursts.

#83 3 years ago

Absolutely not gouging. You are Absolutely free to either buy one available now, at the asking price, or not buy at the asking price. I am a builder, and I am paying 3X now for the same lumber package I bought in September. Builders First Source (now the largest supplier of wood building products in the US) has the lumber, and I am ready to frame a house now.

#84 3 years ago

Here's a tip. You don't need a topper to enjoy the game. Honestly, people are paying 20% of what the game is worth on a topper?

A lot of this has to just be bragging rights ("guess how much I paid for this piece of plastic") because no one can tell me with a straight face that there's value there.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

A lot of this has to just be bragging rights

I've got one.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Here's a tip. You don't need a topper to enjoy the game. Honestly, people are paying 20% of what the game is worth on a topper?
    A lot of this has to just be bragging rights ("guess how much I paid for this piece of plastic") because no one can tell me with a straight face that there's value there.

The real issue is that Stern hates toppers. For all their success in manufacturing pinball machines they really struggle making toppers in any kind of volume (or finding someone else that can do it in volume -- I have no idea who makes these things). I think they got so sick of people complaining about their toppers that they went on a mission to keep increasing the price until no one would by them or at least let them keep up with demand, but then they found out there was no such price. I'm starting to think they should just make one topper for each game and charge a million for it.

#87 3 years ago

One. What ?

LTG : )

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

One. What ?
    LTG : )

One topper. But now that you mention it...

#89 3 years ago

Only topper I need. He needs to be able to walk from one side fo the room to the other without touching the floor.

67946524_2628496480514299_9205719214462074880_n (resized).jpg67946524_2628496480514299_9205719214462074880_n (resized).jpg
    #90 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody likes pinball anymore. It's too popular.

I’m taking my talents to pachinko. And registering pachinkoside.com.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Me too.
    Now I'm buying guitars.

I did guitars for a few years so cool and fun

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

I only have a topper if it came with the game my MM royal for instance.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I only have a topper if it came with the game my MM royal for instance.

toppers should come with LE or premiums included.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

I just can't ever imagine getting upset about topper prices let alone actually buying one to begin with - it's like buying a mustang cobra and then putting a large cobra ornament on your roof before going out for a drive to the mall.[quoted image]

Lol. While I have to admit that I’m curious about the Black Knight topper (especially if it shit talks you while you’re playing) I just don’t get toppermania. I mean a topper or a Meteor is a pretty easy choice for me.

#95 3 years ago

Toppers are such a personal vanity item it hurts my soul to hear people complain about paying more than an hours wages for one...

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Toppers are such a personal vanity item it hurts my soul to hear people complain about paying more than an hours wages for one...

Yeah but so is owning pins in our homes. To this day my sons friends still think I’m rich. Lol.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Only topper I need. He needs to be able to walk from one side fo the room to the other without touching the floor.

And what a great topper you got there.... Great Picture! If human kind completely abandons pinball, the cats would take over.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I wrote the guy on eBay and he responded pretty quickly. He’s a distributor near Chicago and says he has a couple toppers and will sell to those who ordered EHOR from him. The couple extras he has are listed on eBay. He mentioned the fees on eBay.

12.55 % is what ebay charges

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

And what a great topper you got there.... Greta Picture! If human kind completely abandon pinball, the cats would take over.

After all the trips to the vet they cost more than a $1000! Slightly more interactive then the average Stern topper for better or worse though.

20201110_063036 (resized).jpg20201110_063036 (resized).jpg20201110_063205 (resized).jpg20201110_063205 (resized).jpg
    #100 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

After all the trips to the vet they cost more than a $1000! Slightly more interactive then the average Stern topper for better or worse though.

Indeed!

There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-gouging/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.