(Topic ID: 216762)

Fair Pinball Buying/Selling. What is considered good pinball etiquette?

By ASOA

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Brazy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is it ok to turn a big profit on selling a sought after pinball machine?”

• YES! 233 votes
      73%
    • NO! 43 votes
      13%
    • MAYBE! 43 votes
      13%

(319 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How does one get screwed over when they voluntarily enter into the transaction?
    No one is being forced to purchase a luxury item, that at the end of the day, is a toy.
    Unless force is involved, there is no way screwing can occur.

Bingo. Impatient buyers create the situation in the first place.

I'd love to pickup a Honda Civic Type-R, but folks routinely pay 10-20k over sticker for a 30k car! Rather than pay the "gotta have it now" tax, I'll wait until the madness dies down and I can pay MSRP. Car market is competitive and there is always a great alternative.

Sure, I'd love to have IMLE asap, however getting a Premium a couple months from now (if that) will work just fine.

snaroff

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I can honestly say I do not understand the LE pinball market. I've never bought an LE an likely never will. In most cases there is a premium version that plays exactly the same. In other cases (like Tron) people have come up with add-on's that essentially make it the same thing (minus the little plack).
    I'm not a big fan of "fake rarity". I can appreciate when something becomes rare like really old baseball cards or comics or old cars... or "one of a kind" works of art. But when a manufacturer says "we are making 500 of these and that's it... and oh btw here is the exact same thing in a slightly different art (often better) package"....fuck them.

There is no such thing as "fake rarity". Companies limit production with many products/markets. Limiting production almost always creates a "buzz".

If Stern decided to build LE's "last", you'd see a change in the market for them. Many collectors consider early access something they are willing to pay for.

Nevertheless, I agree that Premium's offer a sweet spot that works for most folks.

snaroff

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

You say there is no fake rarity and then go on to describe exactly what fake rarity is. Creating "buzz" with limited production.

So silly. Do you think Audi should make as many RS7's as A7's? The production numbers are a function of actual demand *and* company created buzz factor of owning a limited production car. Stern does the same thing with the LE's. Not a precise science, but expecting a company to make the same number of every product they produce isn't practical in today's world. For good or bad, products aren't "made to order" any more. This is true for mass consumer products as well.

snaroff

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I don't get your analogy here. An RS7 is a very different car than an A7. Sure the body style is the same but the performance is light years apart (and I owned an A7). Audi will never make as many RS7's because they can not sell as many RS7's.
    A Stern LE and Premium are the same damn game with a different splash of art.

Exactly..."fake rarity" isn't what irks you. What irks you is the LE/Premium are "the same damn game". Violent agreement!

snaroff

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-gouging-in-pinball-what-is-considered-good-pinball-etiquett?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.