(Topic ID: 216762)

Fair Pinball Buying/Selling. What is considered good pinball etiquette?

By ASOA

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Brazy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is it ok to turn a big profit on selling a sought after pinball machine?”

• YES! 233 votes
      73%
    • NO! 43 votes
      13%
    • MAYBE! 43 votes
      13%

(319 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider potatoloco.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 5 years ago

I have no issues with what anyone, manufacturers, distributors, or a 3rd party reseller wants to sell their pin for. It's human nature though throughout any product purchase across all categories. People get angered by high prices, but love to see a great deal that benefits the buyer or them in particular. I may not agree with the price, but it doesn't mean I feel it's unethical. It just means that amount of money would not leave my pocket in order to acquire that particular product. Either someone will find utility at that price or they won't.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Speculative buying and it’s immediate resale at a higher level will only result in higher msrp’s. We’re “shooting ourselves in the foot”.

It won't. This is a common misconception. Economically it doesn't pan out like this on products across many categories. The shoe industry, which is a billion-dollar industry, is a prime example of this. A manufacturer with their MSRP and amount of stock has to find the correct balance between just having enough product scarcity to drive demand for their brand and price it perfectly to where the end user can still receive a considerable percentage of the product on day 1.

Prices won't rise because a small percentage of buyers are reselling something. Prices can possibly rise because 100% of a product line sold out on day 1.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

When is it not ok to turn a profit in selling a pinball machine that is valuable? If you could sell a game for a large profit would you do it?
    Definition:
    Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

It seems a lot of people are basing their opinions off mostly Maiden LE since that's the flavor of the month and their concerns for the quick flip practice, but realistically addressing the OP's question, anyone that feels selling for a profit is unethical (I consider this at any point in the lifetime of the pin), are you applying this across the board to used games that are currently selling for well above the original MSRP? Because if so, the majority of anything on the marketplace will fall into this category.

Just looking through the first 2 pages on the marketplace from current distributors and 3rd party sellers, the following rough percentage price increases/decreases are as follows.

600%
    85%
    183%
    -12%
    -18%
    53%
    196%
    150%
    200%
    75%
    198%
    120%

Iron Maiden LE is 53% basing it off the highest pin for sale which is $13,500. The one in which everyone is blowing up the thread is at 34%.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

It’s amazing that people can’t see the difference right?
    We are taking about the narrow instance of someone buying a NibLe for the sole purpose of flipping it for a profit.
    If you are in the business of pinball? That’s one thing i guess. As a hobbyist? I don’t think so.
    Some people have zero problem with it.
    I would let somebody else have the pin and hope it went to a pinhead that really wanted to play it and enjoy it
    Some people aren’t wired that way. They don’t give a shit about the next guy
    All it’s doing is driving up the future prices for Stern

Economically, resellers do not affect a brand's pricing in this manner.

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

In pinball it does and has.
    Fake demand is created too by guys calling around and trying to lock up 3 or 4 pins that they think will be in high demand when all they want to do is resell it. Creates the mania effect for the "chumps" as Kman would describe it.

That's exactly why it doesn't work in this manner. Resellers can't guarantee a product will sell out completely, they're a side effect of high demand and limited supply. If they could create fake demand, every LE and CE would be selling out within 24-48 hours on every pin, but that doesn't happen. That's up to end-user consumers to complete that circle and up to the manufacturer to produce X amount of product at the correct price that is slightly below what demand will actually be for the product. Basically, any business economics class that does a case study on this would come to this conclusion for well-known brands, without resellers a brand would keep supply less than demand.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider potatoloco.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-gouging-in-pinball-what-is-considered-good-pinball-etiquett?tu=potatoloco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.