(Topic ID: 216762)

Fair Pinball Buying/Selling. What is considered good pinball etiquette?

By ASOA

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Brazy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is it ok to turn a big profit on selling a sought after pinball machine?”

• YES! 233 votes
      73%
    • NO! 43 votes
      13%
    • MAYBE! 43 votes
      13%

(319 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from JMK:

Phat_Jay above said it best: Speculative buying and it’s immediate resale at a higher level will only result in higher msrp’s. We’re “shooting ourselves in the foot”.
    I think that’s an ongoing concern. If Stern sees that buyers are willing to shell out $10k plus for their sought after LE titles; what’s to prevent them from continuing to raise the prices on these. It was unbelievable how sought after those BM66 SLE models were (even at the extremely high price points).

It's how we got here in the first place. Stern decided to try and extract as much of the flipper profit out of the market after the METLE debacle.

If you are playing the "long game", like they should, they won't try and keep raising prices on the LE's just because demand is higher on certain pins like METLE and IMDNLE. More and more people are just going to forego pins that are guaranteed to take a $1k-$2k hit.

The price raising party isn't going to go on forever. The secondary market on all these $8k plus pins is going to be real soft, especially as more and more $8k plus pins hit the market.

$8999 MSRP and going up each time for every single LE title? That's not gonna end well Imo. While trying to squeeze out the flipper profit Stern might just end up squeezing out their own sales on lesser demand titles.

The "collectible" titles/numbers, that's a different story.

#46 5 years ago

Find a dealer that is fair on every title. I have, they are out there.

I went on the cancellation list for an IMDNLE with a dealer that I've bought other games from and got the call when someone dropped out. At the height of the mania they didn't try and jack up the price, $8799.

Same guys with my BM66LE while another dealer I had purchased from before wanted to jack up the BM66LE.

While I'll still buy from the other guy, they have lost sales because of that. Was it worth it? Maybe to them?

#47 5 years ago

From an individual standpoint, everyone is different and has their own motivations.

I would never buy a NIB title with the idea that I was going to flip it for $$. I buy Apple stock for that purpose.

I'd rather have someone in our hobby who really wants one actually get it and enjoy it.

I also get the fact that some people seize the opportunity to make an extra few bucks. More power to them.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

If you missed out on a $8900+ LE and can’t live with a $7300 Prem which plays the same because it will just make you unhappy and won’t fit your “lifestyle” then you deserve to be gouged.

Amen to that!

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinCrush:

For me its about intent, which admittedly is hard to gauge.
    Scenario 1: Somebody buys a pinball machine because they're excited or passionate about the title. They play the crap out of it but for whatever reason discover it doesn't work for them. They go to sell the machine and the market has gone crazy and its worth a crapload. They sell it for said crapload and its way more than they paid. I've got no problem with this. Good for them, the pinball gods smiled on them.
    Scenario 2: Somebody buys a pinball machine to take advantage of manufactured scarcity only intending to gouge their fellow collectors. I don't like this at all and thinks its a dick move. I make note of seller and won't do business with them in the future.
    Scenario 3: Somebody buys a machine because they're excited but the market explodes before they get it - so they sell it at the elevated price before opening. I still think this is a craptastic move but not as bad as #2.
    I know many if not most will disagree with me. But thats how I see it. This is supposed to be fun... speculators intentionally screwing fellow collectors is not fun.

Scenario 2 is a total dick move. Some people are ok with being dicks.

This is a relatively small hobby. The A holes will always be here though. The vast majority of the good far outweighs the bad

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

I find it slightly scumbag-ish, particularly if you use your podcast to hype a game that you're also flipping on eBay for $13,000.

You think? But that's why he calls the people who listen to his podcast "chumps". Including the Stern marketing team.

It's hard to get past the first 5 minutes lately which is when i usually x out. I'm gonna have to retract my Twipy Vote Kman!

I do respect the passion and time spent for whatever reasons but its time to cut back on the "take yourself so serious" act.

SDTM for the win!

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from ejacques:

All I know these days in regards to pinball pricing is that buying a pin is far better than putting the same amount of money in a bank hoping to earn interest. I get to play a game I love and then when the time comes that I have a desire to sell it or life needs dictate so, I almost never lose money. Sure, some games go through "Cold Spells" where it feels like the value has gone down, but what other collectible out there seems to just keep going up in value? Classic cars seem to fit the mold as cited a few posts back.
    In my case, buying games "relatively cheap", cleaning them up and playing them for a year or so before moving them on allows me to keep fueling my hobby. Have I bought some duds - sure. Games I paid too much for or games that were basket cases that ended up costing too much in the end - sure.
    But overall, it does seem like the value keeps going up over time.
    Just my 2 cents. (Next week that will be worth 3 cents)

yikes.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from ejacques:

Yikes what? I buy games at a price that makes sense to me at the time, I play them for a while and then I sell them, usually below what the pinside average is. If the market dictates that that price has risen since I bought it, what is the problem with that?
    Should I sell my Twilight zone for $800 just because that's what I paid for I back in 1999?

I don’t give a crap what you sell your games for.

Yikes is for the ridiculous statement that you made in the first sentence!

I was trying to be nice and not say how stupid that was. Honestly, you can’t believe pinball machines are better than savings accounts

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

This topic comes down to ethics. Whats not ethical for me might be ethical for another. Personally, I wouldn't buy an NIB LE game with the sole intentions of selling it for 3-4xs what I paid for it, but hey thats just me.

It’s amazing that people can’t see the difference right?

We are taking about the narrow instance of someone buying a NibLe for the sole purpose of flipping it for a profit.

If you are in the business of pinball? That’s one thing i guess. As a hobbyist? I don’t think so.

Some people have zero problem with it.

I would let somebody else have the pin and hope it went to a pinhead that really wanted to play it and enjoy it

Some people aren’t wired that way. They don’t give a shit about the next guy

All it’s doing is driving up the future prices for Stern

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from ejacques:

You must have one hell of a bank....Cause most savings accounts pay out next to nothing in interest.
    Despite that, yes, I have a savings account.
    But I also know that I can tie up some of my money in pinball and actually end up making out way better percentage wise when I decide to sell as long as I bought smart in the first place. (Case in point, I've never bought new in box for good reason)

I do, its called the bank of Apple stock!

I'm just giving you a hard time, I know what you are getting at. And you only live once!

Pins aren't a substitute for the power of compounding though.

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

Economically, resellers do not affect a brand's pricing in this manner.

In pinball it does and has.

Fake demand is created too by guys calling around and trying to lock up 3 or 4 pins that they think will be in high demand when all they want to do is resell it. Creates the mania effect for the "chumps" as Kman would describe it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-gouging-in-pinball-what-is-considered-good-pinball-etiquett?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.