(Topic ID: 216762)

Fair Pinball Buying/Selling. What is considered good pinball etiquette?

By ASOA

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Brazy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is it ok to turn a big profit on selling a sought after pinball machine?”

• YES! 233 votes
      73%
    • NO! 43 votes
      13%
    • MAYBE! 43 votes
      13%

(319 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 5 years ago

Yeah, I've given up trying to maintain the moral high ground on this one. Though, I think I technically lost that right to play the 'upright citizen' when I allowed my STTNG to sell for 5500 (put the price on it at TPF as a joke...it sold anyways).

Make your money, describe the machine accurately, let people make their own damn decisions.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Morally and ethically it's wrong, and it's getting to a new low to see community members doing it. Trust me, some of us are watching, and I personally will not do business with anyone doing that crap - new or used games.

Karma will come back, and I hope it pays those in this community guilty of gouging 10 fold over. Some day, the "oooo ahhhh shiney" mentality of this resurgence in pinball WILL stop, and people will get tired of being taken advantage of.

Still trying to figure out how it's 'gouging' if you're honest about the condition and flaws of what you're selling and some dope still decides to pay way way over market price. Ethically? The market price was 'set' by demand, which has been on an upward spike for a while, which sounds to me like demand is still increasing. We didn't go from 500$ STTNGs from closing down Putt-Putts and Tilt Arcades in the late 90s to 5k STTNG today without a WHOLE BUNCH of people "overpaying" and normalizing the sale of those games at higher prices over time..

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Ask Mylan CEO Heather Bresch how it worked out when the EpiPen went from $100 to $600 for a two pack, and that drew national scrutiny from everyone to include Congress. People were outraged, but hey, it's "capitalism". Least she was honest about "its condition and flaws" - same drug as you have been buying before, just with a 500% increase to the price.

You're seriously comparing something I LITERALLY HAVE TO BUY SIX OF A YEAR....TO MAKE SURE MY KID STAYS ALIVE....

To a motherf... pinball machine? Yeah, I'm done listening to anything you have to say on this subject. Get outta here.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I did, and here's why.
    You know my intentions were not to belittle your situation. I don't know you or your family situation prior to that post. Don't act like I did it intentionally.
    You and I are done unless you come to me in a PM. We are not doing this here.

Nope. You're not going to get to hide the fact that you made a poor argument by scurrying away to PM.

It's got nothing to do with me. It's got everything to do with it's a DUMB argument in the first place to compare those two things. I would have called you on that regardless of my personal situation. One is a lifesaving medication, and even THEN it's price was NOT DICTATED BY SUPPLY AND DEMAND. It's not some herculean task to manufacture it, the materials cost didn't suddenly skyrocket, they just completely decided to dick people over for more money. There wasn't some massive spike in need for it, or production issues. Just some greedy pricks that saw their only competitor get shut out by the government, and took massive advantage of that.

Pinball is a LUXURY item. It's required by *nobody* to live or be productive. It *is* extremely difficult to manufacture say...oh... a brand new Addams Family..out of thin air. If you could even find all the parts and hardware to do it. So there is an almost non-existent supply side for extremely popular out-of-production games, and the demand side can be from "next to nothing" to "ungodly absurd", and zip all over the place because a game showed up in a big webcast tournament, or because the designer got arrested for something unsavory. That's my point. If someone wants to pay 9k for a players condition AF, and they're happy, and they understand the condition of the machine, then what you're really complaining about is the fact that other people just have more money to spend than you do, and you don't have enough leverage to move the needle. You're just foisting your own dissatisfaction onto a seller.

You don't want to support people selling games for high prices? Okay. Then STOP BUYING THEM....but nobody OWES you a cheap machine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-gouging-in-pinball-what-is-considered-good-pinball-etiquett?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.