“Purchase Rolling Stones LE?”

• Great game, buy it. Start me up. 10 votes
    14%
  • Not bad for a little while. Mixed Emotions 18 votes
    25%
  • Wild horses couldn't drag it to your door. NO 44 votes
    61%

(72 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

yeah i didnt like it

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from whoknowsgoi:

yeah i didnt like it

Didn't like what?

#53 4 years ago

I liked the looks etc and liked the game play. But I have only played two of them, and neither of them could play through 3 games without a ball getting stuck somewhere.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

Thanks for all your input. I decided to pass on TRS. It's almost 3hrs away and I'm not driving 6 hrs to play a game that doesn't sound promising and is way over priced.

I passed on my first chance on a HUO RSpro after an hour in the dark drive there and an hour back. Regretted everyday after I got home. Bought a RSLE from Mike at the GAP in West Chicago and we will never let it go. LOVE IT for what it is. FUN!! Great Music, and a wife pleaser. This is one she will step up to and play a few. Nice. Suggest KISSLE if that makes sense for you. In Phoenix? Stop over and play some and decide for yourself.

#55 4 years ago

I would probably buy one for the right price, but here are my pros and cons to RS, so see if they match up with your style.

Pros: I like the theme, the spinner, the captive ball release mech like Avatar, The stick Mick (because it's different) The right ramp is cool. Somewhat rare game (I've hardly seen one in the wild or a collection)

Cons: Quite possible the easiest ramp to hit in pinball outside of gameshow. There is no challenge whatsoever to the center ramp.

I don't think it's a bad game, but it may be a very easy game to play. Just my thoughts.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Pros: The stick Mick (because it's different)

Wow, you don't hear that everyday. Actually this is the first time I've ever heard it

#57 4 years ago

But can a few songs be removed and more popular ones added with pinball browser without jacking up the gameplay? It doesn't that any of the game modes are directly related to specific songs.

If I could get rid of the three or four dud songs it would be awesome musically.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wow, you don't hear that everyday. Actually this is the first time I've ever heard it

There are enough games that have the same kind of thing going on. Mick on a stick is needed in this game because of how wide open/easy the shots are to make. It adds a little challenge.

#59 4 years ago

There are some limited times where the flow is pretty good on the game but the entire package is really underwhelming. Mick on the disco stick was kind of fun for a bit but not like Drac on MB. I don't know how else to describe it other than its a really "low energy" game. Elvis was kind of the same deal. Its like they try to emulate the rock stars (for those two pins) when they are old and fatigued versus capturing the energy when they were younger. AC/DC and Metallica got it right IMO.

#60 4 years ago

Do you get to hear a song all the way through if you keep the ball going, or does the music track change with almost every switch closure?

#61 4 years ago

I liked the Stones better when they were rocking it at the end of the Civil War.......those dudes have staying power........

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

I liked the Stones better when they were rocking it at the end of the Civil War.......those dudes have staying power........

I saw them two years ago in Philly and they are still pretty god damn good. It really is amazing. Better than 90% of the s$&@ on the radio today as well.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

There are some limited times where the flow is pretty good on the game but the entire package is really underwhelming. Mick on the disco stick was kind of fun for a bit but not like Drac on MB. I don't know how else to describe it other than its a really "low energy" game. Elvis was kind of the same deal. Its like they try to emulate the rock stars (for those two pins) when they are old and fatigued versus capturing the energy when they were younger. AC/DC and Metallica got it right IMO.

I respectively disagree, Elvis w/ four full size flippers is an excellent pinball machine with a lot going on during MB especially in the upper PF. RS and Elvis are both great games I would never let go, but only similar in that they are music pins.

My RSLE with the second set of buttons to activate the lane and drain blockers is a true mental crossword puzzle that tests my brain in a different dimension. If I would guess, this game and its second set of buttons is a way to stave off Alzheimer's. Those blocker flippers will mess with you, seriously. It hurts! My brain hurts!! Dr. Gumby please....

#64 4 years ago

So I got to download the latest code for the LE from the stern site and plug it into the pinball browser and it seems all the songs are loops ranging from 1:30 -2:15 seconds.

I've seen some people list songs they have heard on their machines but I think I hear brown sugar and bitch in the sound files and no one has mentioned those two.

#65 4 years ago

The Stones is a good Stern game (my favorite, personally). It might not look like it, but there's actually a lot of depth and subtlety to the rules. It's also not a grinder like a lot of Sterns are--it's more in-line with something like Tron when it comes to game times. It's short and sweet, but nuanced and deep at the same time, making for a perfect balance. Full orbit shots, two ramps, symmetrical standup target banks on both sides of the playfield (both are important), and thanks to every shot on the playfield being backhandable, the game offers flexibility in play. Mick is an extra layer of strategy and you can control the target's trajectory. For experienced players, it also has one of the most difficult full wizard modes to get to (Encore Multiball). There's a lot of game here, and a lot more that meets the eye at first. Admittedly, it's not obvious what is happening when you don't know the game, but everyone that told me in person that they hated the game, after spending time coaching them on how to play, they all came out enjoying it pretty well.

For the LE model, casuals might like the posts, but experienced players should disable them. The Rolling Stones is a very challenging game on its own and requires some form of skill and an understanding of the rules, but with the posts you have no reason to not keep your game going all day. It removes all sense of satisfaction of getting truly good high scores on the game. As far as the power ball, I don't know if there's any way to disable that--I've seen machines that start the 2X scoring when it's not even in play. The scoring system can have some imbalances here and there if you *really* know what you are doing, and I think the extra 2X scoring on top of that would ruin things for much more advanced players.

For pricing, on the LE I could see it being around $5k. For the Pro, anywhere from $2500 to $3500+ depending on condition/mods/etc.

(PS, if anyone has either one to trade.. I have a TSPP with your name on it.)

#66 4 years ago

I'm picking up a HUO LE tomorrow.

What are the must do mods for this machine?

I saw some pretty cool guitars but can't seem to find them now, I think there was a white one and a blue one with the flag on it.

any idea if those light up led amp/speakers from Metallica could work on this machine?

#67 4 years ago

I have a RSLE I would be open to selling if anyone is looking.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

I have a RSLE I would be open to selling if anyone is looking.

How much u selling it for?

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I saw some pretty cool guitars but can't seem to find them now, I think there was a white one and a blue one with the flag on it.
any idea if those light up led amp/speakers from Metallica could work on this machine?

If Mick hasn't been upgraded with the full metal backing plate, that is something you may want to do:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3540

Brad

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

If Mick hasn't been upgraded with the full metal backing plate, that is something you may want to do:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3540
Brad

Yes, this kit is mandatory, otherwise the Mick plastic is guaranteed to break. I'm surprised to see the fix is still available--thanks for posting that link.

Quoted from Psw757:

I think some places sell guitar props like with what you find on AC\DC and KISS. Other folks have modified the hanging stage lighting plastic with color changing LEDs. That looks really cool but I'm not sure what kind of work that takes.

Personally, mirror blades are a must on this game. Fits the theme perfectly. Cool white LEDs work best for GI from what I have experimented with.

Most other universal Stern mods will work, like the color changing LED speaker light kits. Not sure about the Metallica one, I'm not sure if there's anything different, but my guess is it will probably still work fine.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Yes, this kit is mandatory, otherwise the Mick plastic is guaranteed to break. I'm surprised to see the fix is still available--thanks for posting that link.

I think some places sell guitar props like with what you find on AC\DC and KISS. Other folks have modified the hanging stage lighting plastic with color changing LEDs. That looks really cool but I'm not sure what kind of work that takes.
Personally, mirror blades are a must on this game. Fits the theme perfectly. Cool white LEDs work best for GI from what I have experimented with.
Most other universal Stern mods will work, like the color changing LED speaker light kits. Not sure about the Metallica one, I'm not sure if there's anything different, but my guess is it will probably still work fine.

For some reason I thought the LE came with led in playfield?

Doesn't say much about the LE on the stern site, all I see is info on the pro model.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Doesn't say much about the LE on the stern site, all I see is info on the pro model.

Nope. LEDs for LE models didn't start happening until later.

I think, what, AC\DC Premium/LE might have been the first?

#73 4 years ago

It isn't an easy machine to find explicit details about or such, here is a write-up from a few years ago:

https://bhmvending.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/stern-rolling-stones-pinball-limited-edition-selling-out-quickly/

Brad

#74 4 years ago

Dont want to hijack thread but I also have RSLE in minty condition I would sell for $4800 firm. Pick up preferred in CO.

#75 4 years ago

I'm a pinball guy and if it's the only game on location I walk right by it no joke !

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

I'm a pinball guy and if it's the only game on location I walk right by it no joke !

Please.....you have an X-Files come on.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Please.....you have an X-files come on.

LOL

Nice of him to point out he's a pinball guy. Not too many of those around here.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Avatar and Rolling Stones LEs had incandescent bulbs. Tron was the first LE with LEDs, but inserts only. I think Transformers was the first all LED...or was the GI still incandescent? AC/DC Prem/LE was definitely all LED.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Please.....you have an X-files come on.

xfiles. There is a game that is far worse than this one. I'd take RS all day over having to play the turdfest Xfiles. or SF2. Those are tied for turd nugget DMD's.

#80 4 years ago

When I play this game I smile and start doing the call outs!
Great game IMO and I like the lick my balls ramp ( he he )
goes for about $7500 AUD

#81 4 years ago

One of the worst pins I have ever played.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

One of the worst pins I have ever played.

Interesting take.

But are you a "pinball guy?"

#83 4 years ago

It gets a bad rap. I played one @ a pinsiders home, & was surprised at how much fun it was! I think @ the right price in a medium to large collection it would fit in nicely, & the LE with all the chrome is a great looking pin.

#84 4 years ago

I played my LE's last night. First KISSLE, the Elvis Gold, then RSLE then AC/DC LE and then MOPLE for three games each. Each one is different and a keeper with great play and music to boot. MODS:LED back panels, LED color flashing speaker panel, shaker, upgrade speaker system, mirror blades, Invisisglass assuming all LEDs installed would be essential.

Rock on...Thanks to Jody Dankberg at Stern!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 69.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 248.85
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside