Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bulb (resized).jpg
tb (resized).jpg
Rose Bowl (resized).jpg
Barnacle Bill (resized).jpg
10282DB1-E649-4F41-9E11-6670054C91DE (resized).jpeg
A5E6926D-D097-44AE-893E-6078766B056A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldcarz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

Yeah...I understood your comment. It is a remarkable contrast!
Once you get the hang of the weirdly positioned flippers on alot of these early flipper games that they weren't sure what to do with them yet, you start to see some of the cool shots, banks, and rebounds that are created. Of course you need to set the game to a low playfield angle so they will react the way the designers envisioned...which is probably another reason modern pin folks find these boring. The old "crank the back up, and the front down" approach that works OK(IMO!) in 60's and 70's pins makes these type of games seem impossible.
And the art of nudging, which was for the entire history of pins up to just before these pins were produced the primary way to affect ball path, is still a critical part of the strategy...it takes alot of playing(and patience!) to get good at this...nudging on these games takes many different intensities, not to mention knowing when not to. Sure, that's needed in modern pins too, but it's even more important in these older games.
Sean

Many of you who know me personally have witnessed my transition in the hobby from solid state, to metal rail (wedgehead and reverse) to primarily woodrails. Since I'm in an area where there are several EM enthusiasts a short distance from me, it only makes sense that we each vary our collections so we don't all own the same El Dorados, Central Parks, Bank a Balls, etc.... By some of the definitions assumed on this forum, I would qualify as one of the "old timers" who not only recall playing woodrails in my youth, but having a strong sentimental intrigue in the games with multiple ways to win games and strategy.

A woody collector, like me, would jump at the opportunity to pick up a good Double Shuffle, if nothing else as a parts machine. Original legs, lockdown bars, coin box, tilts, plastics, beehive push rod and ball shooter covers, marbleized bumper caps, etc., are worthwhile if one needs those specific parts for another game. A nice glass, if used as a wall art, is worth some bucks.

Personally, with over 40 games at this time, I don't need another, but if seen in person at the Allentown show, as example, I would agree with others who put it in the $700 range.

I did audition this game several years ago, but passed. Reminds me of a combination of my Barnacle Bill and Twin Bill.

The Barnacle Bill, btw, is perhaps my favorite of that era and somewhat similar lower playfield as regards to a center kicker hole. When I have newbie guests over who are used to the "easier" games of the 60's and 70's+, they shake their head wondering about the 15 second ball times of some of my older games. But then it needs to be demonstrated the concept of a "skill shot" and how one can nudge and put out certain lights in order and light specials. With patience and practice, these old ladies can be tamed. Ditto for Rosebowl, or Frontiersman, etc.....

Barnacle Bill (resized).jpgBarnacle Bill (resized).jpg
Rose Bowl (resized).jpgRose Bowl (resized).jpg

tb (resized).jpgtb (resized).jpg

#53 6 years ago

Hi Odin,
I use a regular ol' 12v car bulb.

bulb (resized).jpgbulb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldcarz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-estimate-for-a-neighbor?tu=oldcarz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.