• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pac-Fan
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey all,
Got a line on a fully functional Jokerz with good translite (or so I'm told). The box is in fair condition and there's play field wear in the middle of the field. I gather that's common? I am not seeing this title for sale much. Is it a good player? What to watch out for? Ideas on price? I hear its a fun one?

#2 10 years ago

Sold one this Spring in super nice shape for under $1000 and I know another local guy that had one in OK shape he couldn't get $750 for it fully working but not shopped.

Worst part with that machine is they are known for sound board issues and the sound board is unique to that machine so normally they are getting almost $200 for them if you can find a good one.

Machine is OK to play and in some ways it grows on you but it isn't as good as most System 11 machines. I would rate it about like Road Kings or Fire - so for System 11 it kind of sucks.

#3 10 years ago

Sold mine shopped for $1100 (with new LED display, new legs, new glass, new speaker, new rubber, LED'd). It's a neat title (I liked the drawbridge), I just don't like the sound.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Sold mine shopped for $1100 (with new LED display, new legs, new glass, new speaker, new rubber, LED'd). It's a neat title (I liked the drawbridge), I just don't like the sound.

Ha. I think I saw yours (or just another random one in the Chicagoland area) but passed after watching a video of Jokerz game play on YouTube and not liking the sound.

#5 10 years ago

I remember liking it way back when, but it ain't no Taxi or ES. Locally this goes for $500 t $600 in average condition.

#6 10 years ago

Yeah... the sound is very "off" on this pin. Don't go over $700 tops.~SpOoKy

#7 10 years ago

It is funny with Jokerz & Road Kings because the boards & displays are basically worth more than the entire machine in working condition.

We had our Jokerz for about a year and no one seemed to ever play it. Since it looked so nice (as good as HUO) I thought I got a great deal on it paying $600 unshopped but working (plus a 6 hour drive and $100 in fuel and tolls). When I got it home we found out it had sound issues and by the time I bought a decent soundboard and shopped it I was into it for about what I sold it for.

After I found a buyer we played the heck out of it making sure everything was 100% before it was picked up and it kind of grew on me but I would never pay over about $450 or $500 for another one. At least at under $500 I could part it out if I got unlucky with a sound board again.

#8 10 years ago

Interesting. Others seem to like it a lot. Seems like really cool art and whatnot.

#9 10 years ago

Playfield wear in the middle is probably not common because these had factory installed mylar there. It's a pretty fun game though, and I am probably going to be parting mine out soon if you need parts.

#10 10 years ago

I'm buying a jokerz this week!

#11 10 years ago

The art work is probably the best part of this machine but you play a machine for game play and sounds add to the game play. As stated above sounds don't make the cut and game play leaves a lot to be desired.

Not a bad game but I have just come to expect more from a System 11 machine because so many of them are so good. Out of 28 System 11 machines total I would put Jokerz 3rd from the bottom if I were rating it. We have owned 18 of the 28 machines and still have several of them because I love System 11 stuff but Jokerz just misses the mark as far as I am concerned.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Out of 28 System 11 machines total I would put Jokerz 3rd from the bottom if I were rating it.

Not to hyjack this thread but i would be interested in seeing your complete rankings of all 28 System 11 machines?

I also agree that 1000 is top of the mark for a Jokerz.

#13 10 years ago

captainadam_21

I have never done an actual list of the 30 William's System 11 machines in any kind of order (yes 30 - I missed a couple on my first count somewhere along the line) but here is what I would call the best & worst.

Of the machines I have owned or played the group I would call the best are:
Pin-Bot (my favorite machine), Whirlwind, Banzai Run, High Speed, and Taxi.

F-14, Black Knight 2000, Earthshaker, & Mousin Around running close second tier.

In the middle would be Diner, Mousin Around, Rollergames (doesn't get much love but a fun game), Grand Lizard, and Space Station

Just above the bottom would be Bally Game Show, Pool Sharks, Fire, and Police Force

On the bottom would be Bugs Birthday Ball, Millionaire, Bad Cats (kind of neat in its own way), Road Kings & Jokerz.

And as far as the other 6 or 7 I have not played them enough to decide.

#14 10 years ago

I have 2 of them. Love the game. Played it new when I was 19 in 1989 at my favorite bar, it sat next to Taxi. Add a Pin Pro sub kit to it, and you'll think there are shotguns going off when the ball gets going in the pop bumpers!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

On the bottom would be Bugs Birthday Ball, Millionaire, Bad Cats (kind of neat in its own way), Road Kings & Jokerz.

Bad Cats towards the bottom?

Bad Cats rocks!

It has to be one of the best non-mltiball games out there.

I'd rank Diner up there as well.

#16 10 years ago

Some brutal responses here!

The game is one of my favorite System 11 games. The translite and art package is very impressive. The game play - while somewhat limited, is still alot of fun and the sound of the pops are unique and add to the experience. It's a class Barry O. design and one of the most under-rated Sys 11 games out there. I got bored with my High Speed long before I did Jokerz.

#17 10 years ago

I've owned a HS for 5+ years; and that was the only pin along with my 20-26 video's along side it during that time. I just picked up a Jokerz (and Vector) to enhance the pin selection. Am about to have a game night with co-workers and friends of my wife (will post those details in a couple weeks). Initial reactions for the few that have now played all 3 have been consistent:

- Jokerz awesome novice game; bright/vibrant graphics + well lit playfield; friendly to everybody. Easy to learn, hard to master but not aggravating. No good flow - no way to do multiple wide shots around the field one after another. Wait longer to use flippers when in the various rear PF areas. Lack of kickback means many more side drains; but nudging is more reactive than with HS. Not as good speech as HS or Vector. Multi-ball pretty easy to get.

- High speed - dark playfield but lot of side light (that doesn't make it out everywhere) - enjoyable even for novices. Easy to play but not as attractive to new players. Good 'flow' -- makes full use of playfield for rewarding multiple circular shots. Doesn't get caught in rear PF long except on exceptional (ramp) shot = more flipper action. Nice to have kickback always on for novices. Good speech. Multi ball difficult but rewarding. Backglass artwork not liked very much.

- Vector - Dim playfield with low amount of GI. Quite hard to play for novices; very simple task--but additional complex rules to remember to optimally play. Very hard to ever get even 2 let alone 3 ball multi-ball; and quick drain when it happens. Very "bouncy" ball off all the rubber. Very small usable playfield, no good flow (upper 'loop' used only for ramp and catches). Easy to hit glass up short ramp scares a lot of players. Like the 'goal' of knocking down the targets; but find it too way too hard to get a ramp shot afterwards. Nudgable saves in saucers on outlanes. Awesome speech, especially considering it's 1982 -- years before HS/Jokerz. Chaser lights enjoyed.

So, the reviews from 4 people, plus myself, so far, rate those 3 in the order above. I will have much more feedback in a couple weeks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-williams-jokerz?hl=barrymulvihill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.