• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

batgirl.jpg
image-103.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi everyone. New here, first time buyer!

I'm looking at an F-14 Tomcat machine in decent shape. Seller is asking $1200. The playfield had mylar applied at some point; backglass has a protective sheet too I think. The mylar covering is a bit flaking/peeling in 2-3 spots. Cabinet is very good except for a 1-inch long, thin chip on the back edge of the backbox.

The game is 100% playable but:

* The flippers are a little bouncy (a little bit of "give" when struck)
* The beacons don't rotate or light up.

It looks OK inside though from what I can tell - no rat's nest of wiring. I *think* the solenoids look OK - maybe they look a tiny bit..bulging?

How much should I pay for this machine, do you think?

Thanks for your help!

#2 9 years ago

I've been looking at these lately and havent seen one for less that $1400 around my area, so I would take it in a heartbeat at $1200. Flippers might need a rebuild or some new bushings, but that still puts you at around $1300 with repairs, I would go for it.

#3 9 years ago

Totally agree with above poster. Issues you mentioned are easily repairable and the price is spot on from private party.

#4 9 years ago

IMO your biggest issues to look out for:
>Battery acid leakage/displays work. If none and the game boots the diagnostics available will be a huge plus.
>Inserts level. If the inserts are not level, walk away from Tomcats over $1K
>plastics condition. Can be difficult/expensive to get.

Everything you mentioned is repairable.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks, CapsLock42, Pinball4life, and wayout440!

The displays all worked perfectly - I ran the diagnostic.

I didn't look closely but didn't see battery leakage.

Plastics were fine, I think.

I didn't specifically check if the inserts were level! I'll do that before handing over the cash. Is this table specifically bad for not-level inserts, because of the radar screen one? I've seen videos on how to relevel them (definitely a bit of work...) Or is this general advice for most tables?

#6 9 years ago

I've got a nice one for $1,499 but it may be sold soon..

image-103.jpgimage-103.jpg
#7 9 years ago
Quoted from CapsLock42:

I've been looking at these lately and havent seen one for less that $1400 around my area, so I would take it in a heartbeat at $1200. Flippers might need a rebuild or some new bushings, but that still puts you at around $1300 with repairs, I would go for it.

What is your area? One was for sale for $1000 a few weeks ago in New York.

#8 9 years ago

This table is *somewhat* prone to insert problems. Anything is fixable ,but the chevron shaped replacement inserts might be difficult to find these days. With the amount of F-14s out there, I am just saying watch what you pay for one with this problem, that's all - it's just lots of extra work. And I have seen posts (rumours?) floating around about repros, PPS had due in Feb this year but I see nothing on the site. I'm sure this would make a lot of F-14 owners happy.

#9 9 years ago

Beacon motor is $40 on mad amusements. Thats where I got mine. Works perfect now.

#10 9 years ago

I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago for $950 on ebay. It was about 95% working and I would give it a B- rating on playfield as the Alpha - Gulf and lower C-A-T inserts are raised but the Chevron inserts are all flush. there is also some paint missing from the left out lane, where the mylar has a gap over Hitman's image, and the back loop. I have about $150 in parts that I have installed already including rebuilding flippers, and new red beacon lens. The center targets were broken and caused the ball to get air born and hit the glass. The pop bumper had a Future Spa cap so I replace that. Also replaced all the Resistors on the flash lamp circuits. All in all I have paid $1100 for mine here in Central KS. Its not perfect but it is a good playing, mechanically and electrically solid machine.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Ghoen:

I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago for $950 on ebay.

What, why didn't you spend the extra coin and get the beat one with the aftermarket domes for $2600 BIN?
ebay.com link: Williams Bally F 14 Tomcat arcade Pinball machine

#12 9 years ago

Price drop on my F-14 to $1,450..

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Price drop on my F-14 to $1,450..

You probably got excited when you saw the words "first time buyer".

Original Poster - beware of that guy.

#14 9 years ago

I'll make sure to have a look at the chevron-shaped inserts.

Thanks for all the input, everyone - I'm super glad I posted here!

#15 9 years ago

Just sold one at 1250- lasted 2 days on CL. Had some upper playfield wear (nothing down to wood), but had new plastics, full leds, and working beacons.

batgirl.jpgbatgirl.jpg

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

What, why didn't you spend the extra coin and get the beat one with the aftermarket domes for $2600 BIN?

Bristol is a long drive not to hit up a NASCAR race... unfortunately it was in March and the next race isn't until August.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

You probably got excited when you saw the words "first time buyer".
Original Poster - beware of that guy.

Lol I told chuggard it was an 1100 dollar pin. He told me he has offers way higher than that. I said take the money and run. I made a fair offer. Not lowball

If anyone has an f14 or a police force in good condition and wants a quick sale pm me especially if local

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Lol I told chuggard it was an 1100 dollar pin. He told me he has offers way higher than that. I said take the money and run. I made a fair offer. Not lowball
If anyone has an f14 or a Police Force in good condition and wants a quick sale pm me especially if local

That's correct and it maybe sold tomorrow.. Thanks for your offer!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-williams-f-14-tomcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.