Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AF5FD9A5-6C9A-453B-9231-986B474CF76F (resized).jpeg
index (resized).jpg
20190215_093844 (resized).jpg
20190215_093334 (resized).jpg
20190215_093230 (resized).jpg
20190215_093201 (resized).jpg
20190215_093126 (resized).jpg
20190215_092947 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
twilight-zone-pinball-prototype3 (resized).jpg

#1 5 days ago

This is a true sample with third magnet, different head artwork, no art on the spirals on upper playfield, and all of the other differences (https://gameroomblog.com/features/twilight-zone-pinball-prototype-vs-production).

Fully working, clean, shopped, in nice condition.

$10K? More? Hard to know with prices lately. Wondering what everyone thinks.

twilight-zone-pinball-prototype3 (resized).jpg
#2 5 days ago

I think these go for like 65k

#3 5 days ago

*JUST* because it's a sample doesn't mean anything. it's the *condition* as well. Assumign you got it in pristine condition? MAYBE $10k. Likely $9k, to the right buyer. And it'll take you a while to find the right buyer.

#4 5 days ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I think these go for like 65k

Maybe even more, but only if it's without legs and in immamaculate condition.

#5 5 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

*JUST* because it's a sample doesn't mean anything. it's the *condition* as well. Assumign you got it in pristine condition? MAYBE $10k. Likely $9k, to the right buyer. And it'll take you a while to find the right buyer.

Sample means in a lot in this game. There are many differences and third magnet in not an easy thing to retrofit in. Add in that it is possibly the best game of all time and there are only 200 samples I think it means plenty on this title.

#6 5 days ago

that magnet drop feature to start multiball is amazing on these def 10k ish. start at 15 to be safe plus the haters will help keep you at the top forcing the sale lol not a lot out here thts for sure i personaly think tz is all time #1 definetly always commands big money tht ive seen even for a non special one imo.

#7 5 days ago

Do you have additional photos? Condition will really dictate the price.

Considering that the gray switch covers are missing, I'm guessing it got played and is not in pristine condition.

#8 5 days ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

Sample means in a lot in this game. There are many differences and third magnet in not an easy thing to retrofit in. Add in that it is possibly the best game of all time and there are only 200 samples I think it means plenty on this title.

Obviously you don't know me, so I'll just say that, yeah, i have a sample.
And even with a sample, if the PF is trashed, you ain't going to get a lot for it. Like I said, condition still matters.

#9 5 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

And even with a sample, if the PF is trashed, you ain't going to get a lot for it. Like I said, condition still matters.

You may want to listen to Coyote with regards to any and all TZ related inquiries. TZ was the first game I purchased and Coyote chimed in on many of my TZ threads as well as other TZ threads with very useful information.

I consider Coyote one of the most well versed TZ experts on Pinside.

Gord

#10 5 days ago

I have a sample TZ that I don't think is worth anywhere close to $10k. The game is in overall pretty nice shape, but there is some minor insert wear and a little planking on the upper playfield. Like others have said, it's all about the condition.

#11 5 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Who said anything about trashed?

From original post:

'Fully working, clean, shopped, in nice condition."

#12 5 days ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

You may want to listen to Coyote with regards to any and all TZ related inquiries. TZ was the first game I purchased and Coyote chimed in on many of my TZ threads as well as other TZ threads with very useful information.
I consider Coyote one of the most well versed TZ experts on Pinside.
Gord

Ok I will bow down to Coyote. Haha. Do note that I have owned at least five Twilight Zones, wrote & published a book about Pinball (https://amzn.to/2UGiuXG), and founded GameRoomBlog.com. I have been collecting for over 20 years and am not some newb.

Of course condition is important. But that was not really the question — as the game is in great shape.

#13 5 days ago

The bottom line is all about condition, and without and pictures its difficult to provide realistic advice...If you took a mint mass produced TZ and compared that to a mint prototype I suspect the prototype might demand more, but I can't imagine much (maybe 10-20% to the right buyer)...me personally wouldn't care one way or the other....

#14 5 days ago

Then why are you asking us what it's worth? You seem to have an idea already.

Just put up a number and throw it to the wolves.

#15 5 days ago

Wow you better slow the truck down there dude. Coyote is the absolute mint standard reference for TZ, perhaps other than the guys who actually designed it.

#16 5 days ago

Ok I will bow down to Coyote. Haha. Do note that I have owned at least five Twilight Zones, wrote & published a book about Pinball (https://amzn.to/2UGiuXG), and founded GameRoomBlog.com. I have been collecting for over 20 years and am not some newb.
Of course condition is important. But that was not really the question — as the game is in great shape.

Wow. Here’s your douche card.

#17 5 days ago

Who said anything about trashed?
From original post:
'Fully working, clean, shopped, in nice condition."

It's hard to gauge the condition from what someone is describing. One person's "nice" condition could actually be worn and planked, or it could be factory mint. Photos are better to let people gauge for themselves about the condition a game is in. Insert wear on this game could be the difference of +/- $1000 to someone.

We've all seen our fair share of craigslist ads listing something as "nice" when it was actually something else. For example, this Earthshaker was recently listed as being in "excellent condition" and "like new".
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#18 5 days ago

$10K? More? Hard to know with prices lately. Wondering what everyone thinks.

A bit less than this. I know of a very nice one selling for 8K not long ago but that was agreeably understood as an excellent buy.

#19 5 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Then why are you asking us what it's worth? You seem to have an idea already.
Just put up a number and throw it to the wolves.

I was hoping to get some actual insights but instead have gotten jokes about the 65K game, basic newbie advice "condition means everything", told that the game with probably the most sample differences vs production really is no big deal, and have been called a douche.

But I am the bad guy...

#20 5 days ago

9k or the price the current market is willing to pay.

If your not in a rush wait a few years and ask for 8k

#21 5 days ago

I'll give you an honest answer. Start at $15k. I think it's not unrealistic and you might find a collector who'd buy for that.

#22 5 days ago

Depends on the people. Main of the potential buyers, at this price range, would want the game first without to care of owning a sample or not. At the same time, if you had the choice, for the same condition and few bucks more, I would buy a sample but it’s just me. I would prefer having something more unique but I’m really not part of the majority. Also if it was my second TZ i would prefer a sample too.
200 is not that rare, i would consider a real price difference (reasonable of course) for a proto.
There are around 10 to 20 proto out there... and those were assembled in slow built months before by the design team. Sample are production pins... not the same for me.

#23 5 days ago

With those credentials. ....why in the world would you be asking for price info? Just trolling, humble bragging, selling without using the proper channels?

#24 5 days ago

I was hoping to get some actual insights but instead have gotten jokes about the 65K game, basic newbie advice "condition means everything", told that the game with probably the most sample differences vs production really is no big deal, and have been called a douche.
But I am the bad guy...

You will have to start somewhere. 10K is probably too high, but it wouldn’t hurt to start higher just to see. This isn’t real estate.

It will sit, though - just be patient. many of the guys who are really into The samples (ie your target buyers) are already posting here.

#25 5 days ago

... also I think the third magnet is not even plugged (or have a magnet) on sample. I leave Coyote to share his knowledge if he wants. (Best TZ and CV expert for me)

#26 5 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

... also I think the third magnet is not even plugged (or have a magnet) on sample. I leave Coyote to share his knowledge if he wants. (Best TZ and CV expert for me)

They weren't, unless you got a very, very early sample. (This would include sample games that had a 19-light Door Board with spaces for *all four* flashers.)

Since all the work is there, it's not difficult to do (already have two 7x opto boards, may have the 6th spot populated in the 8-drive high-power baord) - just buy optos, a magnet, and voila!

#27 5 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

They weren't, unless you got a very, very early sample. (This would include sample games that had a 19-light Door Board with spaces for *all four* flashers.)
Since all the work is there, it's not difficult to do (already have two 7x opto boards, may have the 6th spot populated in the 8-drive high-power baord) - just buy optos, a magnet, and voila!

Thanks! I didn’t know that was even possible

#28 5 days ago

But I am the bad guy...

put the game on eBay and let the market dictate the price....the insight your gathering is the game is worth what someone is willing to pay, but since you refuse to provide detailed information its very difficult for anyone to provide realistic information....my advice is to put out detailed pics, put a price on the game and see what the market says...

#29 5 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Not even some of those had the magnet plugged in

#30 5 days ago

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album343

I sold this to another pinsider for 10k, 2 years ago. Had the third magnet.

#31 5 days ago

If its just a nice condition stock sample tz id say maybe 7-8k .. if it has color dmd, pdi glass,cliffys, piano, gumballs and some of the other sought after mods/upgrades and is in excellent shape then more towards 9-10k.
Sample tz dont bring a whole bunch more than production ones from my experience... maybe 250-500 more ? . Its all about condition...

#32 5 days ago

True Sample, All Modded up and in great condition are hard to come by for sale. most are in a collection like this one. Condition and working third magnet is everything.
Magicchiz

20190215_093126 (resized).jpg20190215_092947 (resized).jpg20190215_093844 (resized).jpg20190215_093230 (resized).jpg20190215_093201 (resized).jpg20190215_093334 (resized).jpg
#33 5 days ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

True Sample, All Modded up and in great condition are hard to come by for sale. most are in a collection like this one. Condition and working third magnet is everything.
Magicchiz
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

man that's sweet.

#34 5 days ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Magicchiz
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Another IGP topper.. argh! Looks beautiful

#35 5 days ago

Third magnet is seen in clock photo.
Magicchiz

#36 5 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Another IGP topper.. argh! Looks beautiful

I just sold my IGT Topper this year. It took me a long time to find one but got one 5 years ago. But the TiltTopper TZ Topper is something else (best Topper ever in my book). That is why I sold the IGT one that I had looked so hard to find.

#37 5 days ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

I just sold my IGT Topper this year. It took me a long time to find one but got one 5 years ago. But the TiltTopper TZ Topper is something else (best Topper ever in my book). That is why I sold the IGT one that I had looked so hard to find.

I’ll check that out!

#38 5 days ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

I can't find the TZ topper on the TiltTopper site.

#39 5 days ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Third magnet is seen in clock photo.
Magicchiz

Thats the core. After the first early samples, no magnet was installed, just the core. (Y'know, so the playfield didn't have a hole in it. )

#40 5 days ago

Can anyone document where a sample or proto game brought at least 10% more than fair market value of that title? I just never see it happen. And by the way, most sample games-those which were used for beta testing and earnings samples before general release-got abused by guys like my father and his friends in the 80s and 90s. They never kept the samples for the route. The samples always went back to the manufacturer and as soon as it left, we’d call the distributor and order 2-5 production games. Samples got abused and neglected and never cleaned or maintained.

#41 5 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Can anyone document where a sample or proto game brought at least 10% more than fair market value of that title? I just never see it happen. And by the way, most sample games-those which were used for beta testing and earnings samples before general release-got abused by guys like my father and his friends in the 80s and 90s. They never kept the samples for the route. The samples always went back to the manufacturer and as soon as it left, we’d call the distributor and order 2-5 production games. Samples got abused and neglected and never cleaned or maintained.

Not always true, though it would depend on the game, and the agreement the operators had with the distributors, and distributors had with manufacturers.

Challenges Arcades down in Atlanta had an agreement that they would take test games - early samples - and submit problem and earning reports weekly. As 'reward', we could buy the games for a discount. We always did. Because why return it and buy 3 games at full price, when I could spend 2.5 games worth of money and get 3?

We had a sample TZ (now the one I own), WCS, Corvette, TOM, MK2, and... a couple others I can't recall at the moment.. all while I was there, and we kept them all.

#42 5 days ago

Ok, so original poster asked about pricing a sample.
Just for fun look at the pictures above and let's play What do you think the game above is worth?
This is just using what you can see in the photos provided.

Hell what do you think the topper is worth?

Curious to see where people see value or not in different things.

Magicchiz

#43 1 day ago

i have a pristeen sample ile start at 25k lmk if anybody needs one and this 15k one is to beat up. but it looks pretty nice to me just sayin.anybody else have a sample game? seems pretty rare and tht always means money like it or not.fyi not all collectors and fanatics use pinside i personally have seen games go for a ton more than what they bring here its all about finding the right person.somebody wants these bragging rights lol

#44 1 day ago

Whatevs. Sample TZ bragging is so 2010!

#45 1 day ago

I'll sell mine! Pristine example, white door, fully working 3rd magnet, stars-cut translite, decal over "spiral", original gumball sign saying "collect next spiral when lit, green lock insert, prototype coloring on playfield. Soundtrack selectable between original release or DCS mix with actual Rod Serling / Talky Tina / Hitchhiker callouts! Bidding starts at $35K!

#46 1 day ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I can't find the TZ topper on the TiltTopper site.

I think this is it . . .

index (resized).jpg
#47 1 day ago

This is the one I found when researching tilttopper:

AF5FD9A5-6C9A-453B-9231-986B474CF76F (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
$ 5.00
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Boards
PinSound
$ 10.95
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
65,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cherry Hill, NJ
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 14.95
$ 40.00
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside