New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 153711)

Price Check: True TZ Sample

By freakandgeek

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by _litz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20160304_181045_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

So what is the current price of a nice condition, shopped, and working true Twilight Zone sample? Third magnet, different head artwork, with all the playfield differences, etc.

What only 200 of these were made right?

#2 4 years ago

I wouldn't let mine go for less than 8k
magicchiz

#3 4 years ago

Most people wont pay extra since you can purchase most of the stuff separate and put on any tz. . But if someone wants one you can expect a few hundred more than usual from what ive seen.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

magicchiz

Same here never under 8k too rare/cool.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Most people wont pay extra since you can purchase most of the stuff separate and put on any tz. . But if someone wants one you can expect a few hundred more than usual from what ive seen.

I agree with this 100%. It's impossible to tell a modified one from an original sample one without very close inspection of the PF. Heck, the serial sticker can also be faked. I don't see an actual sample TZ selling for more than a few hundred above a non sample one in the exact same condition. The parts and time involved is minimal. If the game plays the same and is in amazing condition, that is what makes a TZ valuable imho.

I do believe that there is a slight PF post difference on a sample TZ over by the pop bumpers but my memory of those specifics escapes me at the moment. However, I don't think that it's so different that you couldn't just change the post(s) as well.

On top of all that, I have seen and played no less than 4 true sample TZ's. They seemed to make quite a few of them.

#6 4 years ago

I sold my sample tz for 5,500 nice cabinet no fade or pf wear had all the mods as well door flashers gumballs .It took awhile to sell as well could have been the time or year this was a year maybe year and a half ago

#7 4 years ago

You cant change the green lock insert very easy.
Magicchiz

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

You cant change the green lock insert very easy.
Magicchiz

Actually, you can buy Mirco's repro field.

But there IS one thing he missed on his 'sample; field..

#9 4 years ago

I'm on the 8k boat.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

magicchiz

Quoted from mario_1_up:

I'm on the 8k boat.

Quoted from Snowyetti:

Same here never under 8k too rare/cool.

Ok so to recap; The people that own TZ Samples think they are 8K+ Got it

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Mine's priceless. So there.

#12 4 years ago

Congrats to all who has a sample. TZ is a great pin and i will have another someday Can anyone show some pics of the imfamous sample and why its a sample? Pics pleeeeeaase!!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't Think it's worth 8k to be honest. I bought mine loaded with mods for $3500. When I bought it I didn't even know there where sample machines. Luck of the draw I guess.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

Can anyone show some pics of the imfamous sample and why its a sample? Pics pleeeeeaase!!

Look for the green lock insert, and a 3rd mag.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

Congrats to all who has a sample. TZ is a great pin and i will have another someday Can anyone show some pics of the imfamous sample and why its a sample? Pics pleeeeeaase!!

everything you need to know. http://gameroomblog.com/guides/twilight-zone-pinball-prototype-vs-production

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

I lagged behind by 38 seconds, so my link has been removed!

Brad

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

Its really not a big deal . The only thing I like is the white clock face and I added that to mine . Also added the missing flashers but they aren't that important.

#18 4 years ago

So were not talking tron le VS tron. Ok got it..
Update: Actually it looks like theres a ton of different things! Very cool

#19 4 years ago

The wording on the miny pf is also different can't remember off the top of my head but I do know there is a difference

#20 4 years ago

Why is Addams gold so much more than a reg Addams cuz it's different!!it too could be faked and would cost you a small fortune doing it.we all know how cheap playfields are and easy to install plus clock face,mini field,green insert,3 mags,new artwork ect. Tz in general is number 1 in my book being a sample just makes it even cooler.when the three magnets simultaneously drop the balls it's totally amazing.just special and never for sale anyways. lol

#21 4 years ago

Off the top of my head (and that article is *prototype* vs *production*, not *sample*) is -

- Posts were countersunk for t-Nuts
- Autofire ramp was changed.
- White Clock
- Clock Passage opto
- 2nd Big Kick opto
- Third Magnet
- Door flashers
- White/Green in front of left ramp was reversed
- Green lock.
- Left ramp had a plastic cover over switch, not grey condom.
- Mini Playfield 'Flip Here' missing.
- Posts in bumpers (off and on)
- 2 7-opto boards to handle the additional optos, instead of 1 10-opto board. + Wiring to boot.
- Mini PF had no balancing screw.

Depending on the age of the sample game, it may also have -
- Decal on 'Spiral' insert.
- Decal on Gumball Sign
- Left Spiral Sign
- Decal under lockdown bar said to install *7* balls.

Enjoy.
- Me.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

Why is Addams gold so much more than a reg Addams cuz it's different!!it too could be faked and would cost you a small fortune doing it.we all know how cheap playfields are and easy to install plus clock face,mini field,green insert,3 mags,new artwork ect. Tz in general is number 1 in my book being a sample just makes it even cooler.when the three magnets simultaneously drop the balls it's totally amazing.just special and never for sale anyways. lol

Well the tafg is actually a planned production limited edition of 1000 with a signed certificate and number plate which is why its more. . There are sample pins of every pin ever made and most usually dont fetch more than a production one . In some cases the samples actually are worth less bc they dont play as well and are missing important things. I wouldn't pay more for le or samples as im not a pinball collector , I just buy them to play and have fun . I do collect rare guns and gun related items bc they take up much less room lol.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I agree with this 100%. It's impossible to tell a modified one from an original sample one without very close inspection of the PF. Heck, the serial sticker can also be faked.

As you see from the list above, there are some features that are nearly impossible to fake... the different colors around the left ramp insert and the head art (which is the quickest way to spot a sample). I think they made 300 of them.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

and the head art

Actually, someone reproduced cabinet decals with the white door on the backbox. (I also didn't list some differences, like the backbox art and translight pin-holes.)

#25 4 years ago

What about price check on one of the 12 prototypes? And what differences do the prototypes have over the samples?

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

What about price check on one of the 12 prototypes? And what differences do the prototypes have over the samples?

The article above has a lot of things, but off the top of my head -
- The camera insert is Red
- The Dead End insert is Red
- The Spiral Insert said 'GumBall'
- The Gumball Sign said 'Right Spiral Award
- The clock had a multi-color design.

Now a days, I dunno what one would be worth. Back in the early 2000's, I had a chance to buy (one of?) Ted Estes' prototypes. I was in college, so I made an offer of what I could afford (I believe $3000), and whomever me made the other offer to beat me out by a little amount. (I always assumed it was by like $500..) I've always wondered who the other bloke was, and where that game went.

#27 4 years ago

extra features extra money extra special extra money ect ect ect 10 k by xmas

#28 4 years ago

Here's a shot of my game, showing the original sign and blank Spiral insert:
IMG_20160304_181045_(resized).jpg
My game has a blank insert because the WMS tech that came up update the game scraped the 'GumBall' text off of it, forgot to bring the replacement decal. He said he'd mail it to our location, but we never got it, so it's been blank this game's almost entire life. When I had HEP restore the field, I asked for him to leave it blank.

As for me, I like games that are 'slightly' different. Samples, usually. Prototypes are usually too far different to make it playable, *usually*.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

and translight pin-holes

I have an early sample and no translight pinholes. My original TZ manufactured about a month later, had the translight pinholes.

So I believe you'll find TZ's either way.

LTG : )

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I have an early sample and no translight pinholes. My original TZ manufactured about a month later, had the translight pinholes.
So I believe you'll find TZ's either way.
LTG : )

Yeah, this is true. From what I was told by Ted Estes, the original shipment had pinholes - some were used in games, but a lot was given to the parts department. My sample came with one, but then when I ordered a replacement translight a year later, it had none. So I'm guessing that they just went through whatever stock they had, leaving no rhyme or reason.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Off the top of my head (and that article is *prototype* vs *production*, not *sample*) is -
- Posts were countersunk for t-Nuts
- Autofire ramp was changed.
- White Clock
- Clock Passage opto
- 2nd Big Kick opto
- Third Magnet
- Door flashers
- White/Green in front of left ramp was reversed
- Green lock.
- Left ramp had a plastic cover over switch, not grey condom.
- Mini Playfield 'Flip Here' missing.
- Posts in bumpers (off and on)
- 2 7-opto boards to handle the additional optos, instead of 1 10-opto board. + Wiring to boot.
- Mini PF had no balancing screw.
Depending on the age of the sample game, it may also have -
- Decal on 'Spiral' insert.
- Decal on Gumball Sign
- Left Spiral Sign
- Decal under lockdown bar said to install *7* balls.
Enjoy.
- Me.

Got it.

#32 4 years ago

I would imagine that even with all the other "stuff" you can buy to "fake" a sample game, the mini-playfield leveling is probably going to be your most common "oops, I missed that" giveaway ...

The proto/sample games, you have to level the miniplayfield with washers; the production games have a really nice spring-loaded leveling mechanism.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.95
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
7,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oviedo, FL
$ 3.50
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Professor Pinball
$ 999.00
$ 35.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
Tempe, AZ
$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside