Price check : sttng non working

By nepinplayer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I recently looked at a sttng that i would say overall cosmetic condition is an 8 out of 10. playfield looks to be nice with minor wear. cabinet has been drilled for a lockdown bar,some scratches on the cabinet but not terrible. the game is locked and the owner does not have the keys. the big kicker is the previous owner took the head off the game to transport and actually cut all of the wires that connect the playfield to the boards because he didn't know that they would unplug so i cannot even assemble the game and fire it up. current owner claims he played the game before dissasembly and that it played good but that was 5 years ago. any thoughts on value and what to offer? i don't have any pictures to post of it,sorry.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from nepinplayer:

actually cut all of the wires that connect the playfield to the boards because he didn't know that they would unplug

He should be shot for that.

#3 10 years ago

$1,200...

#4 10 years ago

I'd do $1200 any day of the week for that, worst case is parting off the machine if more is wrong with the pin.

#5 10 years ago

whats the seller asking? He might tell you 500.00.

#6 10 years ago

The seller is not a pinhead and has only looked towards ebay for pricing. 2000.00 is a number that got mentioned by him. my biggest issue is not being able to really check anything out until after purchasing and repairing the harness before i can even power it up. the working condition of the display and any of the boards is unknown up until that point for me.

#7 10 years ago

Dead game. No way to know how many problems and errors truly exist. Try to get it for <$1000.

#8 10 years ago

STTNG is a beast. Tread carefully as it will eat your hours trying to fix little nit-picky things. Fairly steady once you dial it in and get everything done. Getting there is the problem.

I was thinking $1800 max depending on how you value your time.

#9 10 years ago

if you pass, offer 1200 for me and i'll pay to have it shipped

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from nepinplayer:

the big kicker is the previous owner took the head off the game to transport and actually cut all of the wires that connect the playfield to the boards because he didn't know that they would unplug

I died a little.

#11 10 years ago

WHERE did he cut them? That's critically important I think. If he had cut them on the playfield right by every coil and lamp, it would be a lot easier to cleanly fix than if he just sawed off the bundles up in the head. I wouldn't mind resoldering everything, because I just look at factory solder and what other people have done when they "rebuilt" the game and cringe..

#12 10 years ago

He cut them right in the middle of the harness. nothing strategic about it,just picked a spot in the middle and cut.

#13 10 years ago

/facepalm.

Pass. The only way I would consider semi-reliable to fix this other than building a new harness from scratch would be to put 9 million molex interconnects inline where it's cut. It wouldn't be too expensive, but a lot of time, and you're introducing a TON of extra points of failure.

Don't pay more than you feel cost of parts is.

#14 10 years ago

seriously, this sounds like the perfect project for me. PM if didn't want this for yourself and don't mind having navl come pick it up.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

/facepalm.
Pass. The only way I would consider semi-reliable to fix this other than building a new harness from scratch would be to put 9 million molex interconnects inline where it's cut. It wouldn't be too expensive, but a lot of time, and you're introducing a TON of extra points of failure.
Don't pay more than you feel cost of parts is.

Agreed. You just don't know what you're getting into. Equivalent to a car that's totaled but then repaired. Never going to be the same again. On one hand you could reconnect every single wire and have it working. On the other hand you could spend hundreds of hours trying to chase down wires and never knowing if the wiring is good, but there are switch problems or board problems...

And as others have said that game is a beast and can be hard enough to keep working even without texas chainsaw massacre head removal!

#16 10 years ago

Why would the idiot just cut the bundle of wires and take the head away, this makes no sense.

Kinda like the post of the guy that bought a LOTR a year ago and his buddy was in a hurry to get out of there, so they just left the legs on it and stood it up and drove around a corner and the pin fell out of the truck and slid into a ditch across the street.

I think I have heard just about every thing there is to hear now.

#17 10 years ago

Ouch take it easy Rommy is probably reading this. As good a deal as it seems I agree with NJgegcko.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from nepinplayer:

The seller is not a pinhead and has only looked towards ebay for pricing. 2000.00 is a number that got mentioned by him. my biggest issue is not being able to really check anything out until after purchasing and repairing the harness before i can even power it up. the working condition of the display and any of the boards is unknown up until that point for me.

This is a totally fine price. If you know what you're doing you can reconnect all those wires. It will be time consuming but probably could be done in a couple hours using heat shrink and be almost as good as new. I would not hesitate to drop $2000 on this. Properly fixed up, you can get $3800-$4000 for STTNG in the state you described fully working and properly cleaned.

But it really depends on if you know what you're doing. If you're a newb at this stuff, you might want to just pass. If you are capable of these types of repairs then chasing down problems after, it's a steal at $2000.

#19 10 years ago

There are a few ways that this could be handled to fix, and while they would add more potential points of failure, if done right that should be almost negligible. Just an idea- I would put in new connectors with the Z type middle things in between them where the cuts are. I tend to think that is easier to trace then doing a million molexes because you can usually visually see immediately when they go wrong.

If it hasn't been played in 5 years, it probably has batter acid damage and minimally will need a shop job. You're looking at a LOT of work... but, if you're looking for a STTNG, I don't think it's an unfair price at all. I'd personally snag it if it was offered to me with that problem at that price - and I am not looking for a STTNG in any way.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

There are a few ways that this could be handled to fix, and while they would add more potential points of failure, if done right that should be almost negligible. Just an idea- I would put in new connectors with the Z type middle things in between them where the cuts are. I tend to think that is easier to trace then doing a million molexes because you can usually visually see immediately when they go wrong.
If it hasn't been played in 5 years, it probably has batter acid damage and minimally will need a shop job. You're looking at a LOT of work... but, if you're looking for a STTNG, I don't think it's an unfair price at all. I'd personally snag it if it was offered to me with that problem at that price - and I am not looking for a STTNG in any way.

I would say adding in z-connectors is a bad idea. They are notorious for causing problems and most people get rid of em. Do it right with solder and shrink tubing.

#21 10 years ago

This is a non-working game, with unknown damage in the backbox, and in questionable working condition. It can be put back together, but it's not a trivial task. I would say $1200 max. but I would shoot for sub $1k to make you feel real warm and fuzzy about it.

#22 10 years ago

overpaying for project games is the biggest mistake for newbies. Get it as for as low as you can, so you have room to work if the cannons are all stripped out and half of the wiring harness is severed and the transformer is internally melted. Without it working your taking the risk. If it's complete and cosmeticly nice, i'd go up to $2000 but not over.

#23 10 years ago

Lowball the hell out of this one! I'd start at $500 and work my way up. Sure it sounds low and I know a really nice one of these is an expensive machine. However... I'm cheap when it comes to possible basket cases

You have a lot of leverage in terms of negotiation, the way I see it. Here are some considerations.

-Can't see what's happened/happening under the pf.

-Can't see the condition of the boards in the backbox. Something quite possibly wrong. If you're good with that, no problem. Unless it's a basket case with acid damage and blown traces.

-Harnesses butchered. That's gonna take some time. Then some more.

-Time is money. And you'd be about to go on a spending spree with your time.

-The guy is not a pinhead but said it played fine. I usually take that to mean 'something significant is not quite right, but... usually fixable'.

-Likely in need of misc parts. Possibly a new DMD if it's the original, flipper rebuild, a few switches, maybe some oddball unique parts, cliffy's, rubbers, board reconditioning, etc etc.

-Butchered harnesses to that extent may affect resale to more knowledgeable individuals later on. I'm not sure about this one, but just throwing it out there. It may deter me. Although I know it's definitely possible to make it functionally identical, it does detract from the overall 'original condition' of the game.

#24 10 years ago

I'd lowball too, just considering the cost of the harness and time alone to put it all back together.. It's at the very least a 2 two day job if you are taking your time and know the game very well. Taking in that into factor 16 hours x "your hourly rate" + harness cost (+200), plus hiring a locksmith to open the door (+60) + new lock mech for door = $1000 - $1400 at the very least. And you don't even know if there is acid damage from the batteries.

You are playing russian roulette....in this case let the seller hold the gun the entire time. I wouldn't touch it if he wants more than $1500 and even then I'd go with Steve P3 suggestion start at $500.

#25 10 years ago

If it was unworking but did not have the harness cut, I would say up to around $2100 depending on cosmetic condition.

The cut harness reduces the price by up to $1000.

#26 10 years ago

I already have a sttng in my collection but this one is slightly nicer cosmetically than the one i currently own. i know it will be a ton of work and possibly a bunch of surprises when i get into it if i buy it. i am not a newb to pinball as i have been collecting for about 15 years but i also am not an expert by any stretch.*********** i just heard back from this guy and he has somehow come up with a price of $5000.00 by doing "research" on the internet. I will give it a shot to get it for a fair price but this may turn out to be another walking away and shaking my head in disbelief deal.

#27 10 years ago

Thanks for all the input guys,I had a price of 1500.00 in mind so i seem to be in the right ballpark judging from your responses. this is shaping up however to be another story about the fish that got away.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from nepinplayer:

He cut them right in the middle of the harness. nothing strategic about it,just picked a spot in the middle and cut.

What an idiot. That is a $1000 max pin due to his stupidity. Tell him that none of the Ebay pins have their wire harness cut in half.

Wire harness is a big and expensive part of the game.

#29 10 years ago

$5000? man, some people just get dollar signs in their eyes. $1500 is MORE than fair on your part for a game that has been butchered and may or may not have an unknown number of other problems. and according to you it's not like the visible aspects of the machine are pristine. you'd be a fool to pay $2,000 or more. I hope you manage to convince him of that.

$5000 is what you get for a fully-working, zero faults, recently-shopped exemplary example of a STTNG. the one you're after is known to be heavily damaged, and there's no way of verifying anything about any parts under the hood. it's a gigantic risk. that dude needs to understand that.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

$5000? man, some people just get dollar signs in their eyes. $1500 is MORE than fair on your part for a game that has been butchered and may or may not have an unknown number of other problems. and according to you it's not like the visible aspects of the machine are pristine. you'd be a fool to pay $2,000 or more. I hope you manage to convince him of that.
$5000 is what you get for a fully-working, zero faults, recently-shopped exemplary example of a STTNG. the one you're after is known to be heavily damaged, and there's no way of verifying anything about any parts under the hood. it's a gigantic risk. that dude needs to understand that.

$5000 is HUO less than 100 plays perfect for a STTNG

I would print off this thread and let him read it. And say. Here is my offer. If he doesnt take it. Walk away

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

I would print off this thread and let him read it. And say. Here is my offer. If he doesnt take it. Walk away

Very wise advise, grasshopper.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

$5000 is HUO less than 100 plays perfect for a STTNG

Sounds like a good idea and i more than likely will do that.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from nepinplayer:

Make it so. (see what I did?)

#34 10 years ago

Already owning one might make it a bit easier to make sure you have everything hooked up right.

Quoted from nepinplayer:

#35 10 years ago

Was he looking at COMPLETED sales prices?

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Was he looking at COMPLETED sales prices?

Probably not,I have and i would guess that most of you have run into people just looking at what pinball dealers on ebay are ASKING for their games and they assume that is what they are worth.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from nepinplayer:

Probably not,I have and i would guess that most of you have run into people just looking at what pinball dealers on ebay are ASKING for their games and they assume that is what they are worth.

this is true and we all encounter it, however, stay with it, dont walk away, 1500 is fair and maybe more than fair for some, but I like that price and you never know, he may come around.. its hard to sell pins that dont work for lots of money, if you stick with it, you may end up with it....

#38 10 years ago

I don't think I'd go higher than $1000, that's a lot of work to patch it back together.

I'd solder the wires back together and heat shrink, or get a new playfield harness from Jim Shird. Playfield harness would be my top choice.

Many of us strip games to piles of parts when we do restorations, so swapping in a new harness, or splicing the one in the game, would only add a few hours of work in the overall scheme of things. We also rebuild everything, and go through all the boards, so again, not a big deal if you're looking from that angle.

#39 10 years ago

$5k now? Clearly this guy is not MENSA material. He probably works for the Obama Administration.

#40 10 years ago

How about you take your bullshit to another board?

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

He probably works for the Obama Administration.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I died a little.

I felt a little taste of vomit myself.

#42 10 years ago

any updates?

#43 10 years ago

heard back from the owners of the sttng and now they are not sure if they want to sell it but in the event that they did it would be at least 4000.00 as it sits. ebay is thier price guide and nothing i try to explain to them seems to make sense as far as pricing goes. i will chaulk it up as another one that got away. not a huge deal,everyone is entitled to ask whatever they want for whatever they are selling.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from nepinplayer:

the big kicker is the previous owner took the head off the game to transport and actually cut all of the wires that connect the playfield to the boards

I once started work at a shop where my first job was to put a engine back in a Chevy van where the previous mechanic had also cut all the wiring harnesses. Apparently he thought that would make the job easier.

#45 10 years ago

Don't worry about it man. Sounds like a headache. If you wanted to pull the trigger you would've. Something held you back and it was all the uncertainty regarding the machine and the seller. No loss there. Leave your number and he will contact you if he wants to sell it after months of being on eBay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.95
$ 64.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-sttng-non-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.