IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG
SMDocOckMag.JPG
SM6.JPG
SM2.JPG
SM1.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I am thinking about selling my SM. The game has full LEDs, pinbits protectors, shaker motor, red dmd cover, and metal apron. There is no magnet wear either. I have no reason to believe it was ever routed although I can't be certain.

It's in great condition, BUT (and here is the problem) one of the previous owners decided to add holes for posts and to close the outlanes to make the game easier to play. At least that's what Im assuming they were for.

Here are pictures of the small holes that were put in the playfield. There are four holes approx. 1/16" wide and two more approx. 3/16" by the outlanes. I placed a measuring tape next to them so you would have an idea of the scale.

Feel free to say bad things about me as well if you are tired of the ST fighting. Thanks!

Edit: Just need to determine if these are factory holes or not. No need for price check.

SM1.JPGSM1.JPG SM2.JPGSM2.JPG SM6.JPGSM6.JPG

Post edited by sammiesguys : remove price check

#2 10 years ago

Here's a pic of the doc ock magnet as well.

SMDocOckMag.JPGSMDocOckMag.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Show more pictures including shooter lane and whole playfield. It is hard to estimate value without seeing overall looks/cleanliness and mods.

#4 10 years ago

Edit -After looking at my SM all of those holes are present. If it is HUO $5000-5500 all day GLWS and hurry up and sell your SM because ST is going to be the bizneez.

#5 10 years ago

They don't really show that much, and if you are careful you can do a few things to hide them more. Don't beat yourself up over it. They look worse to you than to potential buyers.

Price? Hard to say without more pics. I was going to sell mine to make room for STLE (not anymore) and did quite a bit of research. Popular opinion was somewhere between $5300-$5800. But its hard to tell right now with it still being warmer out, the Stern mess with ST, and Woz's getting delivered. The value might have gone up on them now with ST being announced and priced.

GLWTS!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wow that is a bummer! I would rather see a trashed shooter lane. I don't think I could buy it myself. As a players game I would say $3500-$3600? Just my opinion-I feel for you, and ST is going to be the bizneez.

Playfields are available for around $600 so a swap might be worth considering either for the seller to not lose value or for the buyer to get more value out of it.

#7 10 years ago

May want to get mylar circle at pinball life for Doc Ock magnet

#8 10 years ago

That's got to be worth a maximum of $1000 in that condition.
So I'll give you $1100.
: )

Honestly? You may find a few buyers who give you grief for those holes, but it doesn't look like it affects gameplay so shouldn't diminish the game that much, should it?

Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

#9 10 years ago

Show more pictures including shooter lane and whole playfield. It is hard to estimate value without seeing overall looks/cleanliness and mods.

Here is a pic of the shooter lane. I can take more pics of the play field at some point, but everything else looks great. That's why I get so annoyed about the drilled holes.

IMG_0709.JPGIMG_0709.JPG

#10 10 years ago

Confirmed. Holes are on my sm also. Dec 2010 run. Got mine nib.
I would say, depending on condition and mods if any $6k.

#11 10 years ago

Here are some play field pics as well. I was trying not to clutter up the thread. (although I understand to fully gauge condition you need to see as much as possible)

IMG_0167.JPGIMG_0167.JPG IMG_0168.JPGIMG_0168.JPG IMG_0169.JPGIMG_0169.JPG

#12 10 years ago

I dont want to stir the pot. But im new to pinball ownership and valuation... I dont understand how ST being announced effects the value of your SM. Ive read people comparing the pf layout. Is that a what you mean?

#13 10 years ago

Those holes are not damage. They are stock. They were there for the metal pieces that prevent bang back but those pieces were never installed at the factory. I've seen them in lots of other games.

You can see them installed in a theatre of magic:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 10 years ago

I have those same holes in mine,I think some of them came from the factory that way

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Those holes are not damage. They are stock. They were there for the metal pieces that prevent bang back but those pieces were never installed at the factory. I've seen them in lots of other games.
You can see them installed in a Theatre of Magic:

That would make sense. Although I looked at other pics of SM and didn't see them. That's why I thought they were added afterward. Thanks!

Quoted from scooter:

I have those same holes in mine,I think some of them came from the factory that way

Thanks. I looked at plenty of other SM pics and didn't see them. That's why I figured they were added.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I dont want to stir the pot. But im new to pinball ownership and valuation... I dont understand how ST being announced effects the value of your SM. Ive read people comparing the pf layout. Is that a what you mean?

Yes, pretty much. Lots of talk about how similar the layout of the two games are, so some people thinking they will just hang onto their SM instead of spending the money on ST. And others saying they will buy a SM instead of spending the bigger bucks on STLE. And of course, some selling SM to fund STLE since the layouts are similar. I have not heard much talk though of people both keeping SM and getting ST. It would be nice to be able to though would'nt it?
Since the pics of ST came out there sure has been a lot of interest revived in SM. Its a great game.

#17 10 years ago

Just checked mine. Sure enough, mine has all 4 holes too. I never noticed them before.

#18 10 years ago

Looks like a very nice SM! My SM will not be moving anywhere, it was my first NIB!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I have not heard much talk though of people both keeping SM and getting ST. It would be nice to be able to though would'nt it?

If I can get the money I will.LE is what I want!

Quoted from playernumber4:Since the pics of ST came out there sure has been a lot of interest revived in SM. Its a great game.

The best so far!

#20 10 years ago

Figure I might as well add these photos as well. This is by the out lane. Does this look like others? I placed the edge of the tape measure by it. I do appreciate the help btw.

SM4.JPGSM4.JPG SM7.JPGSM7.JPG

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Looks like a very nice SM! My SM will not be moving anywhere, it was my first NIB!

Thanks. I actually really enjoy the game. What I really wanted to do was trade this one and cash toward a BSM. But I felt the holes devalued it and might lessen the interest.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Figure I might as well add these photos as well. This is by the out lane. Does this look like others? I placed the edge of the tape measure by it. I do appreciate the help btw.

Mine has those too
Stock

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Mine has those too
Stock

Thanks.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Mine has those too
Stock

Not stock, those are hack drilled holes on the outlanes as the OP originally thought.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Yes, pretty much. Lots of talk about how similar the layout of the two games are, so some people thinking they will just hang onto their SM instead of spending the money on ST. And others saying they will buy a SM instead of spending the bigger bucks on STLE. And of course, some selling SM to fund STLE since the layouts are similar. I have not heard much talk though of people both keeping SM and getting ST. It would be nice to be able to though would'nt it?
Since the pics of ST came out there sure has been a lot of interest revived in SM. Its a great game.

Ive been watching papa vids with Bowen on most of the recent stern tables and i pretty much came to the conclusion that SM was a pretty solid game. I dont hear many criticisms of its quality or code being crap. I also like the transformer pro table, but there is a lot more controversy or differences in opinion on that table. I dont have the space or the bank to buy every table that comes out like it seems others do. Hehe. Thanks for clarifying.

#26 10 years ago

So just figure out the part # for the wire guides, order them, and install them. Boom, no more random holes. They obviously meant for them to be there and then cheaped out at the last minute or something. Easy fix.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Not stock, those are hack drilled holes on the outlanes as the OP originally thought.

I'm pretty sure those are factory.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So just figure out the part # for the wire guides, order them, and install them. Boom, no more random holes. They obviously meant for them to be there and then cheaped out at the last minute or something. Easy fix.

That's not a bad idea. But if it came from the factory with those, then Im probably not going to worry about it.

#29 10 years ago

I like it when the ball bounces back in play from the drain. Free ball!

#30 10 years ago

them are factory, confirmed on my game...... I also have a nos pf i will break out and update with pictures here

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

That's not a bad idea. But if it came from the factory with those, then Im probably not going to worry about it.

That works too.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from JDubbbs:

them are factory, confirmed on my game...... I also have a nos pf i will break out and update with pictures here

That would be a big help. Thanks!

#33 10 years ago

Just checked my NOS playfield. It has all of the holes as shown on the photos. The 4 little ones by the flipper and the 4 holes near each outlane. Not "hacked drilled holes" as claimed

#34 10 years ago

Well there you have it. And now you can go from stressed out about your ruined and hacked SM to figuring that you've got a pretty good one on your hands after all.

Factory or not the holes would bug me, if I bought your machine I'd probably try and hunt down the wire guides and install them. But that's just me.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well there you have it. And now you can go from stressed out about your ruined and hacked SM to figuring that you've got a pretty good one on your hands after all.
Factory or not the holes would bug me, if I bought your machine I'd probably try and hunt down the wire guides and install them. But that's just me.

I actually wasn't bothered by the holes initially, as it doesn't affect game play. But I was working out a trade for a BSM and I wanted to make sure the other guy saw it before any serious discussions took place. Then he decided that they bothered him and he didn't want to deal. So I started wondering if I decided to sell it, how much was it devalued. Turns out I was wrong. Go figure.

#36 10 years ago

Wrong. Those are all stock. Here are pics of a NOS PF I have.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I am not sure the wire guides would work right with the post there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-stern-sm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.