• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG
SST.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 10 years ago

I'll be the person to jump in and say that SST is priced what it is for a reason, and I don't see it jumping a ton. It's extremely violent and non-family friendly. It's cool looking, but they stuck way too many toys on the playfield that block some of what is going on.

I own a nice one, and I think it's a $1500 machine in working shape looking like that. There weren't tons of them made, so they don't come up that often and if you NEED one, expect to pay in the $2k+ range that people are talking about, but if you're patient eventually $1500 or so is a more fair price.

I do agree about it having a great lightshow.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I disagree - as new games now sell for $7 - $8K more people are looking for the "sleepers" like SST. Same thing happened when prices started rolling - I went out and bought BSD, The Shadow, JD because they were a lot of game for the $$ - all of them have jumped quite a bit since then.

I don't know, BSD and JD jumped maybe $500, while MM went from $5k to $12k.

I've argued this on here before, but you seem to be overlooking that I said if you need it now, it's a $2k+ pin. Those of us willing to wait can still find totally fair prices on stuff.

I own a SST. I bought it last year when the market was better then it is now for most pin purchases. I paid *far less* than $1500 for it, although it needed some work. It just so happened that the seller wanted it gone and I was willing to buy it and not ask them for help fixing it up.

It is ridiculously non-family friendly. I get it, I like the theme, but when I'm repairing it and my four year old is walking around and going "I'm going to KILL you!!!" because that's what the start button says, it makes me question it and I don't question much with themes. Good to know that my joking $4k that I put on it in the "what might you sell this year?" thread is closer to reality than I thought I guess.

#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

since it is now a price thread and BSD was mentioned... I didn't get but $1,650 for mine. I had it on here for maybe two months. One pinsider offered me $250. Worked 100%, faded sides. I received $1,950 for a fully shopped Monopoly with new plastics and ramps. That too took awhile to sell and the common offer from pinsiders was $1,400. I can't ever sell a game for anything near what people on here say it is worth... therefore I won't buy a game for what people on here say it should cost.
That's my Macon, GA formula.

This is really the smart way to do it.

If I could sell all my games for the prices people claim they are worth, my collection would be worth tons more than what people claim, but I'm realistic about it. Luckily, I don't have any reason to sell anything, and if they are worthless in the future, it won't hurt me.

Quoted from metallik:

You bought well below market. Was the game advertised on public forums for the price you paid, and if so, for how long?
I paid 2K for a HUO one and it was worth every penny. The violence is no big deal once kids are school age.

It depends on how you would describe well below market. As I said, mine needed some work. I tend to buy machines that are in need of work, so I generally pay pretty far below market value because I am willing to do that work myself. It wasn't advertised publicly, but it was offered to me from a friend who sells machines all the time, and he was happy with the price because he knew that I wasn't going to come back at him asking him for help fixing it ever. In fact, I didn't even open up the machine when I bought it to see what it looked like - I tend to do that with machines I buy.

I definitely don't think that I got a steal because I spent hours upon hours shining it up and fixing it to be 100%.

Having said that, I get a $2k price for a HUO one. I also think that a $1500 price for a fully functioning one with wear is about right.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

None of the Sega's really go for big money.

Batman Forever does sometimes too, although it's spotty.

1 month later
#68 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Yes I did, lol. He is the proud owner of it...at least I assume, because I never heard anything after his friend picked it up. I still regret having to sell all of that stuff, my garage just got overwhelmed to the point I couldn't move in there and I ended up selling like 5 machines in a couple months there.

Yup I basically never bug anyone that I get machines from, it helps to get more machines from people who like selling projects cheap, but worry that they are going to come back and have someone with 500 questions and whining about the game.

I played BW quite a bit in the garage before I loaned it to a friend over the winter. It's in storage right now, but I'm hoping that I'm less than 400 days from a new house at this point in time where I'll have time to set it and another 50 or so machines up

3 months later
#101 9 years ago

Seeing that this thread rose from the dead, I just noticed this, but...

Quoted from StevenP:

Funny, there are 2 apparent perspectives on pricing. First (and dominant) is what it can be sold for later. Second is if the price is reasonable in view of the fun factor and condition. Just a thought, but (assuming general good condition) I see people paying more for many games that are NOT as fun as the lower-priced SST (even at $2.3k). Looks like pinball has become more of a market than a real hobby for people who like to own and play the games.

Here's the problem though - No matter what anyone says, SST is NOT a family friendly theme, which most definitely limits it's market. When I was fixing mine up, my at the time three year old would hear the sounds on it and run around saying, "If you don't listen, I'll shoot you!" or whatever it says, which is rather mortifying even as someone who usually isn't worried about such stuff. It made the decision by me to put mine in storage until I got a bigger place (within a year!!) pretty easy. If I was limited in space or knew I wasn't soon going to be upgrading, even though the game is a blast and I'll be the first to tell you that I buy for myself and not others, it's gore and lack-of-family-friendly-ness outweigh the fun that I have on it, and I would have kept an equally fun, yet family friendly theme for about the same money in the line up (JP, VND, Airborne and Popeye all made the cut, for instance, and are all about the same amount of money, and I find equally if not more fun than SST).

SST is great, and a bargain at it's prices... if you have all mature enough people running around your house to handle it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-starship-troopers-2?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.