• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG
SST.jpg
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

What does a normal one of these cost? Playfield looks decent, heavy flipper button wear.

#2 10 years ago

Here is a picture.

SST.jpgSST.jpg
#3 10 years ago

$2k?

#4 10 years ago

I don't think I like that game enough to spend $2k on it. Does anyone else?

#5 10 years ago

Here's a recent thread where I asked for price range and what to check for. $1800 seemed to be the high end on the recommendations there.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starship-troopers-price-check-and-what-to-look-for#post-1522339

I had a deal set up for $1800, talked down from $2500, on one that was allegedly HUO with just a dirty pf, but the seller flaked out. I really want one. Good luck!

Edit: I will note that I've never played one and kind of had a bit of spare money burning a hole in my pocket, and I really like the theme, so I was willing to go $1800, which may be considered overpaying.

#6 10 years ago

I think it's a great game. If I didn't have one, I'd buy one for 2k.

#7 10 years ago

Now a days, $2k is a pretty good deal if in decent shape. They seem to be going for $2200-2400 lately around here. Love mine, its a keeper.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Here's a recent thread where I asked for price range and what to check for. $1800 seemed to be the high end on the recommendations there.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starship-troopers-price-check-and-what-to-look-for#post-1522339

Thanks! I did a search for starship troopers forum posts and that didn't come up for me. I was hoping it would be a $1,500-$1,800 game. That seems to be the "wheel house" for working DMD games. It's not really a title I'm after but the distance isn't very far so it instantly becomes attractive.

#9 10 years ago

1500 to 1800 would be for a fully functioning one. If one came around local to me for that price I would pick it up to play for a while at minimum.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

1500 to 1800 would be for a fully functioning one. If one came around local to me for that price I would pick it up to play for a while at minimum.

I agree. The price is $2,500. I just told him I'm less than 10 miles away, collect these games and could come with cash whenever. I'm not coming with anywhere close to that asking price though.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I agree. The price is $2,500. I just told him I'm less than 10 miles away, collect these games and could come with cash whenever. I'm not coming with anywhere close to that asking price though.

Not that I'm an expert on what to do, especially since my deal fell through, but I linked the seller to my thread here on Pinside as a kind of proof that I wasn't making it up on what a reasonable price range is. He agreed and admitted he didn't know anything about pinball or what the game was worth.

#12 10 years ago

I just figure the market will speak for itself. Georgia Craigslist games (from non-dealers) have about dried up over the course of the past six months. So some may just have piles upon piles of pinball cash burning holes in their pockets. However, Macon is kind of out of the way of ATL. When I list games on CL, I seem to get crickets. When I list them here at the same price they move across the country.

#13 10 years ago

Not to sidetrack your thread but my take on Atl craigslist is that the dealers (*cough* Brett Halsey) have so inundated the ads that private collectors don't even bother posting there anymore.

#14 10 years ago

Not owning a SST will be one of the regrets I have in this hobby. It is a great game, but to me will never be a $2500 game. I just can't bring myself to pay those kind of prices for one. It has been one of the titles that got priced over its value to me. It's a shame because I like the game so much, and I've had a few different chances to get one. But it just never worked out.

#15 10 years ago

I own one and would say for a good conditioned working SST is between $1,700 - 2,000. $2,500 would have to be cherry and pretty much HUO.

#16 10 years ago

I picked up a HUO SST for $2k and couldn't be happier about it. The layout is essentially Medieval Madness with alien bugs - can't beat that! Plus, it has a ridiculously useful 3rd flipper and one humongous "troll". You can't get a game with a layout this awesome for less than $2k. T2 is close, but there's soooo much more game in SST.

#17 10 years ago

I bought my SST a few weeks ago for $1800. Love the theme. Love the game. The bigger flipper on the right side gets stuck in the up position during game play. Anyone help with that?

Also, the side art on the cabinet is cracked all over the place, scratches too. Any one have any recommendations on fixing the side art? Is painting my only option?

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I bought my SST a few weeks ago. Love the theme. Love the game. The bigger flipper on the right side gets stuck in the up position during game play. Anyone help with that?
Also, the side art on the cabinet is cracked all over the place, scratches too. Any one have any recommendations on fixing the side art? Is painting my only option?

Flipper stuck up: Change out the coil sleeve and the return spring. Also check to make sure all the coil mounting screws are in and tight, as if they aren't, the coil can cock when actuated and cause what you're seeing.

As far as side art goes, I've never seen it available to replace, but it might be available on the seedy underground of the pinball internet. Who knows?

#19 10 years ago

^^^^^^^
Thanks man! I'll see if that fixes my flipper problem. If anyone knows how to refurbish this side art, holler at me. Good luck OP with getting you one.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I don't think I like that game enough to spend $2k on it. Does anyone else?

SST is a lot of fun, great game with a few neat twists. I like it much better than many games that people here regulrly pay $3k+ for.

#21 10 years ago

2014 Mr. Pinball lists $1950 which seems to be in line with trends. Folks are realizing that B/C DMD games have a lot to offer and values can change based on new folks entering the hobby.

#22 10 years ago

I assisted my friend in buying an Un-shopped and near HUO machine purchased last month in OH for 1750. I considered it a good buy and helped him clean it. I would agree that the average price on a fully working, good condition SST is around 2000.

#23 10 years ago

If you can find a SST in nice condition for $2K or less, go for it. Really fun game with decent depth to it.

#24 10 years ago

SST is currently undervalued - pick one up before the price eventually jumps - I got lucky finding a HUO one. Great game!

#25 10 years ago

SST is a better game than T2 so, imho, if you can pick up a decent example for under 2k then you're doing very well. The brain bug that pops out of the playfield is very poorly lit so put a couple high powered flex LEDs if possible shining up. I put a couple supers underneath and it helped a little. Fun, fast game. Even though it's a SEGA, they spared no expense on the flashers. Great lightshow.

#26 10 years ago

Well if anyone wants one apparently the "best" the seller will do is $2,300. I haven't bothered to go look at it... I don't plan on paying that. I figure I'll wait it out for awhile. If it sells it sells...

Thank you for all the input... good discussion here.

#27 10 years ago

I'll be the person to jump in and say that SST is priced what it is for a reason, and I don't see it jumping a ton. It's extremely violent and non-family friendly. It's cool looking, but they stuck way too many toys on the playfield that block some of what is going on.

I own a nice one, and I think it's a $1500 machine in working shape looking like that. There weren't tons of them made, so they don't come up that often and if you NEED one, expect to pay in the $2k+ range that people are talking about, but if you're patient eventually $1500 or so is a more fair price.

I do agree about it having a great lightshow.

#28 10 years ago

I had a deal lined up a couple years ago for $1,750 for a CQ example with LEDs. Deal feel through due to shipping costs...I wish I would have just ate the shipping and got the game now. Fun game.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I'll be the person to jump in and say that SST is priced what it is for a reason, and I don't see it jumping a ton. It's extremely violent and non-family friendly. It's cool looking, but they stuck way too many toys on the playfield that block some of what is going on.
I own a nice one, and I think it's a $1500 machine in working shape looking like that. There weren't tons of them made, so they don't come up that often and if you NEED one, expect to pay in the $2k+ range that people are talking about, but if you're patient eventually $1500 or so is a more fair price.

I disagree - as new games now sell for $7 - $8K more people are looking for the "sleepers" like SST. Same thing happened when prices started rolling - I went out and bought BSD, The Shadow, JD because they were a lot of game for the $$ - all of them have jumped quite a bit since then.

#30 10 years ago

One of Sega's better pins. $1500.00-$1700.00 for a nice player's pin. $2k for a very clean, well shopped example.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I disagree - as new games now sell for $7 - $8K more people are looking for the "sleepers" like SST. Same thing happened when prices started rolling - I went out and bought BSD, The Shadow, JD because they were a lot of game for the $$ - all of them have jumped quite a bit since then.

I agree 100% with this.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Yep - 100% agreed. Remember when RFM was a sub $2200 game? Not anymore.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I remember when it was a sub 350 pound game... oh wait... that thing is &%@_% heavy!!!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

nah, you can still find them for less than 2k if you are looking for something that needs a little work and willing to wait.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I agree with most of this, except the toys blocking... the only part you can't really see is the pops, and that's not a big deal. Can't see the orbit hole in the back either but you don't need to.

SST is indeed the most violent and gory game to ever hit regular production. If you put Pinballlife's LOTR flipper coils on it, it becomes one of the fastest pins as well. Do like me and upgrade the sound and add even more flashers to take the intensity to a new level. SST is a keeper right up there with AFM, WOZ, SC, Tron...

#36 10 years ago

It seems that the consensus is $1,500 to $1,800 for a decent condition previously routed example of the game. Am I right? That's about the range I was originally thinking too.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nah, you can still find them for less than 2k if you are looking for something that needs a little work and willing to wait.

You know what I meant. Don't do that crap .

11 examples on Mr. Pinball Classifieds at $3000+ - granted we don't know if those sold at those prices or not.

Examples on eBay of completed sales at $4200, $3999, and $2700. Two more at $2700+, but those were "best offers accepted" that are unavailable to us, so I won't count those.

Here's another "uh oh......" moment: http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/Revenge-From-Mars/prices

You are right - projects are cheap all day. Plug-n-play and enjoy examples: not anymore .

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

It seems that the consensus is $1,500 to $1,800 for a decent condition previously routed example of the game. Am I right? That's about the range I was originally thinking too.

That seems about right. I had one offered to me awhile ago for $2k and it was in great shape. Considering the current market, I don't think that's unreasonable.

#39 10 years ago

Bought mine a few years ago. Moderate wear, nothing detrimental. SST parts are hard to find though, so be warned about that. Paid $1250. Super fast game.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I don't know, BSD and JD jumped maybe $500, while MM went from $5k to $12k.

I've argued this on here before, but you seem to be overlooking that I said if you need it now, it's a $2k+ pin. Those of us willing to wait can still find totally fair prices on stuff.

I own a SST. I bought it last year when the market was better then it is now for most pin purchases. I paid *far less* than $1500 for it, although it needed some work. It just so happened that the seller wanted it gone and I was willing to buy it and not ask them for help fixing it up.

It is ridiculously non-family friendly. I get it, I like the theme, but when I'm repairing it and my four year old is walking around and going "I'm going to KILL you!!!" because that's what the start button says, it makes me question it and I don't question much with themes. Good to know that my joking $4k that I put on it in the "what might you sell this year?" thread is closer to reality than I thought I guess.

#41 10 years ago

Dan, please let me know if you want to sell it to me. I am interested and would give it a good home.

#42 10 years ago

SST is super reasonable. Like 1k to $1400. I've seen ones local that looked like they just came out of the box and they didn't sell for $1600 and took 6 months to sell it. 2k is a pipe dream to think you can get that for one.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I've seen ones local that looked like they just came out of the box and they didn't sell for $1600 and took 6 months to sell it.

Please grab the next one for me. or at least give me a call.

I would pay 1600 for HUO one, no problem.

#44 10 years ago

I just missed a $1400 HUO one right here in milwaukee not to long ago.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Please grab the next one for me. or at least give me a call.
I would pay 1600 for HUO one, no problem.

I agree Neo is living in the past on this one...

edit - maybe not - they sure aren't that cheap here. A players condition with terrible cab went for $2K here...

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Maybe whysnow could trade his TAF pf for a HUO SST...

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Well next time, buy it and sell it to me for 1600

#48 10 years ago

since it is now a price thread and BSD was mentioned... I didn't get but $1,650 for mine. I had it on here for maybe two months. One pinsider offered me $250. Worked 100%, faded sides. I received $1,950 for a fully shopped Monopoly with new plastics and ramps. That too took awhile to sell and the common offer from pinsiders was $1,400. I can't ever sell a game for anything near what people on here say it is worth... therefore I won't buy a game for what people on here say it should cost.

That's my Macon, GA formula.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

It's extremely violent and non-family friendly.

That's the one pin that my daughter (11) refuses to let me part with. Helps that she has the high score but she just loves it. She's not even a sci-fi fan really, more of a TFTC girl but for some reason that is her favorite.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I own a SST. I bought it last year when the market was better then it is now for most pin purchases. I paid *far less* than $1500 for it, although it needed some work. It just so happened that the seller wanted it gone and I was willing to buy it and not ask them for help fixing it up.

You bought well below market. Was the game advertised on public forums for the price you paid, and if so, for how long?

I paid 2K for a HUO one and it was worth every penny. The violence is no big deal once kids are school age.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-starship-troopers-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.