price check: Secret Service by Data East

By shadowflame

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Is $1000 a good deal for this machine? Said to be 100% working and able to test it first, is it a fun game?

#2 11 years ago

100 dollars isn't a good price for this pin...it belongs in a landfill.

#3 11 years ago

Maybe prices are higher in your area, but ive seen fully functional Secret Service pins around here for $600 or so in the last few months. I cannnot speak to their cosmetic condition,however.

Good luck!

#4 11 years ago

$1K is way too high for a Secret Service. 2nd DE pin after Laser War and it shows....I owned one that I got in a multi-pin deal, and tho it was boardless and I never played it, it didn't even 'look' fun.

I'd say $500 to $600 is more in line.

#5 11 years ago

I think it is hard to find a machine up here that does not need work for under 1000. Canadian prices seem high. Can not comment on secret service though.

#6 11 years ago

I would think around $700 would be fair in average condition. More if nice.

#7 11 years ago

How do you rate a machine without playing it? I thought F-14 looked unexciting by the playfield layout until I actually played it and it's now one of my favorites. I own a Secret Service and while I can't say it's a long-term keeper for me, it's not that bad and guests are for whatever reason drawn to it -- maybe due to the theme?

If it's *fully* working then $850-$1000+ seems fair depending on condition if the seller likes it and doesn't need to see it go. If it needed some light shopping then maybe $650-800. Non-working <$400. I'd take this game any day for <$400 non-working if the MPU board did not have much battery damage & game was in nice shape. Easily worth more than that in parts. Somehow a lot of people here ignore that a fully working game justifies a higher price. If you want a cheaper game, then expect it to need some TLC.. if you want 100% working and shopped then that's worth a few extra bucks for the time it took someone to fix it up.

Things to watch for on this machine -- there's a ball saver between the flippers that should pop up (fairly often) during gameplay. If it doesn't pop up at all or pops up but doesn't stay up, the mechanism under the playfield isn't working properly. On my machine an operator locked the ball saver in the down position with some screws and disconnected the coil. I got it working again, luckily all the parts were still there. Also there's square "ball-eater" on the right-hand side mid-playfield that's labeled "secret hideout". Both of these things should "reset" at the beginning of the game (ie. if they were still popped up the game will pop them down). Sometimes if not adjusted properly or if they've had heavy wear the game won't be able to pop them down and will give up -- if the secret hideout ball-eater stays up or ball saver between the flippers stays up at the start of a game then there's a problem.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

How do you rate a machine without playing it?

I didn't rate it....I said it didn't look fun...no more, no less. The price evaluation is based on what I've seen them go for and the general consensus of the game.

#9 11 years ago

Secret Service is actually a quite fun game. Great light show. Cool topper. Nice stereo sound. Love the hideout pop up on the right.

Super spinner!!!

And come on! You gotta love the song at the end! So cheesily wonderful.

#10 11 years ago

Average value on this game is $700.00. You can add or subtract according to condition.

The game has some charms to it that I enjoyed. Theme music from Mission Impossible and other songs were always great to hear... The retina scan from the flashing overhead display at games beginning is great and the same lights flashing in sync with the music at the end was always worth waiting for. The sound system is great.

The playfield layout is a combination of Flash and High Speed, two fun playing games.

This is not the greatest game in the world but I found it to have merit with some challenges and fun stuff. But then I'm finding that my choices in pinball do not always match with the norm.

Make an alternative transite for it if possible. The one it came with made me want to play the game with the head folded down.

Here's some vid's for ya.

Kim

#11 11 years ago

Thanks you all for your opinions on this game, I am considering purchasing it..

Yes, pinball machines seems to all go for a higher price in Canada, the reason is because....

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from HoneyBadger:

100 dollars isn't a good price for this pin...it belongs in a landfill.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one. The difference is, most people tend to wipe their asses, so they don't smell like crap. You need some toilet paper dude!

In good shape, the pin is worth $800 - $1000. Factor a bit more for us Canucks.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from shadowflame:

pinball machines seems to all go for a higher price in Canada, the reason is because....

It’s because our Canadian brothers are sophisticated spenders that know the finer things in life.

Kim

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

It’s because our Canadian brothers are sophisticated spenders that know the finer things in life.

Yes, that we do

Hmmm, with the topper it won't fit into my basement because the ceiling is quite low.. Unless I removed some of the drop ceiling tiles. Maybe I will hold off for a High Speed 2 I know it has a topper as well, but I recall playing it in the arcades and like it quite a bit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-secret-service-by-data-east and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.