• Latest reply 10 years ago by charlu
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spitting-smiley-emoticon.gif
#1 10 years ago

Local seller has a Scared Stiff for sale. He is asking $5900.00. Condition is unknown at this point in time. Big plus is that this is local so I can rent a U-Haul truck to move it. Truck + gas will cost about $100.00.

I have been researching, so I know I need to watch for a faded cabinet. I have also looked over some older price check posts and $5900.00 is way up there from posts I read that are a couple of years old. Damn, it looks like prices almost doubled !!

What kinds if questions do I need to be asking him? What else do I need to look out for?

I will assume that if this unit is pristine, then $5900.00 at today's prices is probably close to the money.

Now, I will shut up and let you guys tell me what to look for and how much to pay.

Thanks in advance.

#2 10 years ago

The ramp above the spider hole often breaks and the crate and the playfield in front of the crate are often damaged. The price does seem high unless its extremely nice. I know the prices have gone up on SS lately but I still wouldnt want to pay more than $4500 or so.

#3 10 years ago

Been trying to buy when for the last few months. Have not seen any under 5k- just picked up a nice one- not collector- but nice for $5500 shipped to my door. GL- great game.

#4 10 years ago

I would say that's in the ball park, but I may be biased. I'm going to be putting one up for sale when I get back from vacation in about a week. It's undocumented 2nd owner HUO (bought it from a friend), beautiful playfield, ramps, crate, etc with only very minor spider hole wear. Cabinet and decals are very clean, but does have fade on the left side (I have new cabinet decals for it). It also has a ColorDMD. I'll be asking $6,500.

#5 10 years ago

If excellent quality, snatch it up!

#6 10 years ago

SS is becoming hard to find these days so, if you want one and this one is in your price range, you have to be ready yo pull the trigger.

Things to look for - cracked backbox insert, PF wear in front of the crate, wear around the spider hole, cracked or broken beast ramp over the VUK, burned spot on beast ramp where the fireball decal is, cabinet fade, spider motor not working. That's all I can think of at the moment. Use these things to negotiate with. If none of these issues are present, then the price isn’t too bad.

#7 10 years ago

This title really has climbed in value the last 6 months. I haven't had much luck finding a nice example for under 6K. I would recommend spending time of this title before buying. I want a SS but depending on my mood the callouts get old fast.

#8 10 years ago

I have a beautiful one and can't beleive the prices they are going for. Its a great pin!

#9 10 years ago

As always, check for acid damage with a flashlight on the components directly under the battery holder including all the delicate traces.

Great game.

#10 10 years ago

Thank you all so far. I emailed the seller last night asking "please advise condition and if any mods or not."

I have not heard back from him, yet.

#11 10 years ago

Any update yet? He has now listed it in KC too.

#12 10 years ago

I have not heard back from him. If he contacts me, fine. If not , I'm not going to chase it.

#13 10 years ago

They are out there! As the price keeps going up, more people will sell. I was just offered $6,800 for mine and turned it down. (er, it would take $7,200 to pry it from my fingers with over $1k of mods in it!)

#14 10 years ago

If it's who I think it is (from Hutchinson), very nice couple with a very well kept collection.

#15 10 years ago

This is getting me thinking about selling mine...

Scott

#16 10 years ago

Well SS price exploded in Denmark this year...
Rare game up for sale theese days

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

This is getting me thinking about selling mine...

See! They will be out there.

2 weeks later
#18 10 years ago

hey guys, figured I'd post here instead of starting my own thread but suppose you could buy a pretty beat up SS that will be restored for 3.5k would you do it? (once restored of course...)

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from charlu:

suppose you could buy a pretty beat up SS that will be restored for 3.5k would you do it? (once restored of course...)

If the PF wasn't jacked up i would

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#20 10 years ago

If the combined price was right....sure!
...how much is the beater?

#21 10 years ago

total price would be 3.5k but it was probably in a container and in pretty bad shape right now (rust on coils, wear spot on playfield, missing parts, etc.) but the guy said it would all be restored

#22 10 years ago

3.5 for a restored SS? That seems low unless the restoration is spitting on the pf and wiping it off....

#23 10 years ago

Still not sure I understand. Someone will restore a beater SS they HAVE already for $3.5K total.
Or you have to buy the beater for $3.5 and then the will restore.
3.5k for a totally restored SS is crazy. Beware!

#24 10 years ago

Ted will sell you his for 3.5.......with a spit shine.

Only kidding!

#25 10 years ago

spitting-smiley-emoticon.gifspitting-smiley-emoticon.gif

#26 10 years ago

Thanks Ted...we all, um, appreciate that.

Agree with the other folks...$3.5k for a restoration may not be out of line. $3.5k for a restorable scared stiff may not be out of line. For $3.5k for a restored one...those are the kind of deals you only get from our Nigerian friends....

#27 10 years ago

Is this local to you? If so, go down there. Ya never know....

#28 10 years ago

well the thing is I make a deposit then they restore it, they showed me some restored pins they made and they're nice once done... but I guess I'll have to find a way to get back my deposit if anything goes wrong, perhaps how much does a beatup non-working container sitting SS worth anyway? 1500?? lol

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Is this local to you? If so, go down there. Ya never know....

yeah I did and it's in awfull condition but read my post above it explains the deal

#30 10 years ago

Depends on how beat up!

#31 10 years ago

Well, if it's a legit place that restores machines, and you can go down there....
Maybe check with someone else that had work done there...

#32 10 years ago

actually the PF isn't that bad except for wood spot near heavy traffic area... cab is faded and has some big scratch and mark, coils etc. are rusted... but he says they will replace those part if necessary (like coin door, plunger etc.) I saw the guy also who was doing the repair with another pin.. seemed professionnal too

#33 10 years ago

Not that long ago stock SS's in average condition were going for in the low 4's. That's where I set my price point at to pick one up. Otherwise, I wait.

There is one located in a bar about an hour from where I'm at that is in horrible condition. I've been trying my best to get this old fella to part with it but he seems to think it's made out of gold or something. It's got more zip ties on the playfield than it does in the cabinet. And I put most of them in there just so that I could play it!

Thing is though, the cabinet is near perfect. I think he bought it new and it's been in his bar ever since. I figure it needs about 500 min to 1000 max to bring it to a good restored condition. I'm trying to get him to trade me for my Frankenstein.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from charlu:

actually the PF isn't that bad except for wood spot near heavy traffic area... cab is faded and has some big scratch and mark, coils etc. are rusted... but he says they will replace those part if necessary (like coin door, plunger etc.) I saw the guy also who was doing the repair with another pin.. seemed professionnal too

That scares me. Faded cab, no big deal. Decals are pretty routine. The rust is what scares me. Why are they rusted? Was it stored in a damp container and shipped overseas? Was it somewhere with a lot of moisture? It could be a lot of different things ranging from no big deal to it was stored somewhere damp and beyond just visible rust, the cabinet may have absorbed some and started to delaminate, the boards in the backbox probably suffered, the entire wiring harness may be suspect, there may even be mold....

It falls into the "if it sounds good good to be true...." bucket to me.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from cclay:

Not that long ago stock SS's in average condition were going for in the low 4's. That's where I set my price point at to pick one up.

Not that long ago is a year or two that they were selling for that price but in the pin world that's a very long time and prices change overnight. Everyone wants the prices to be low but once people snatched up all these machines they are gone and prices rise. I hope you can get a deal on that machine but SS is not a 4k machine anymore.

#36 10 years ago

Offered $6,500 for mine last week. Turned it down. Great ones hard to find.

#37 10 years ago

Yep, definitely getting harder to find.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

That scares me. Faded cab, no big deal. Decals are pretty routine. The rust is what scares me. Why are they rusted? Was it stored in a damp container and shipped overseas? Was it somewhere with a lot of moisture? It could be a lot of different things ranging from no big deal to it was stored somewhere damp and beyond just visible rust, the cabinet may have absorbed some and started to delaminate, the boards in the backbox probably suffered, the entire wiring harness may be suspect, there may even be mold....
It falls into the "if it sounds good good to be true...." bucket to me.

well the guy told me it's from Tunisia and it probably was in a container for some time... like I said the coin door was rusted and beatup, the coil plunger were rusted and wire were cut from it, backglass was waving (seemed like a piece of wet paper behind a glass...) and there was almost holes in the cab not mentionning the worn corner... but yeah it seems humidity was all over it for quite some time... damn it's gonna be hard to pass but I guess I'll pass and get myself a relatively cheap EearthShaker

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 38.00
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 249.00
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-scared-stiff-and-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.