IMG_1397-962.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1392.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I have a players Centaur and am curious what the value is. I know these are fairly hard to find and generally regarded as one of Ballys best in the 80's, just curious the current market assuming: Works 100%, some playfield wear, but almost fully mylared, cabinet looks really nice for its age and solid and the backglass is perfect except a one inch scratch that can't really been seen from the front of the backglass. I'd say overall its a slightly above average game shape wise. Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

$2K on the low end more then likely.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#3 9 years ago

Bump. Any other opinions? I found another post fro Rob T from about 3-4 months ago that painted a much different picture of value than Dayhuffs. Just looking for a more solid foundation to base it from.

#4 9 years ago

Boston Pinball averages them at $1750. Condition is king, and from your description I'd have to agree with Dayhuff.

#5 9 years ago

Out of curiosity, what did Rob say? I'm a Centaur owner, and mine was a Craigslist find that I've never considered selling, so I may not be the most in touch with selling prices. That said - restored ones seem to sell for $4k+, rough Centaur IIs seem to be at least a grand. My guess is, a Centaur in the condition you describe is worth at least $2k like Dayhuff said... Needs a $1k playfield, a few hundred in new playfield parts, and some time invested to be a restored example. Plus, the well of players Centaurs has started to dry up.

#6 9 years ago

Rob T just asked for a price value on a similar game and the answers were much higher. I just started this link to get a more well rounded answer. On his thread people were quoting the prices much higher than on this thread.

#8 9 years ago

This is a tough call! High end ones with brand new playfields and parts are ~$4 or 5k right?

Playfields are about $1k, backglass another couple hundred, new cab decals or stencils probably a couple hundred more at least.

Price it how you want and see what the market decides. People who buy high-end pins aren't looking for any projects at all. Even if the playfield has some wear or some metal is oxidized, people paying the most for it want the best. If you want to put the sweat equity and parts into the machine you will likely get $5k. But unfortunately that's the only condition/value I can suggest!

Here's a record of Ebay sales for the title to help you figure a price out:

http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/151

#9 9 years ago

For the record, I am in no way trying to drive up the price and I may hold onto it. I just read the other thread and actually thought some of those prices might be high so I started this to see if I could get a better idea. My idea going in was probably about 2.5ish.

#10 9 years ago

If I was looking for one based on what you put 2k is right where I would want to pay

#11 9 years ago

RobT is in Cali, and prices seem to be around 10-20% higher out there, in general.

People here started talking from the low end of prices; Rob's thread seemed to jump straight into the higher end of Cali prices. $1800-2700 is a wide but fair range. Pictures tell a better story than words for games with "some wear"

#12 9 years ago

Put it up for sale and see what the market dictates. My guess it will be a tad lower than let's say 6 months ago. I think prices are slightly dropping across the board on all pins. It may be a tougher sale at 2500, may just have to wait longer. Take it to Zapcon see what happens.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Put it up for sale and see what the market dictates. My guess it will be a tad lower than let's say 6 months ago.

I totally agree with this statement, and I would guess that you would end up holding onto it after all.

#14 9 years ago

Without pics it is impossible to give an accurate valuation.

Sounds like a nice players based on description. Id say 2k is absolute bottom and likely more. Id put it at 2500 obo and go from there if I were selling, then again I would not be selling as it is a great game and a keeper.

#15 9 years ago

Just for fun here are some pics of my game. Notice wear on left inlane and in between flippers. Some wear on the arc where the balls shoot out. Other than that its fully mylared.

Quoted from Whysnow:Id put it at 2500 obo and go from there if I were selling, then again I would not be selling as it is a great game and a keeper.

Whys, I do like it, but I don't love it. Great artwork, but for me Flash Gordon is a much more fun and challenging pin. That will be my next 80's Bally game.

IMG_1392.JPGIMG_1392.JPG IMG_1393.JPGIMG_1393.JPG IMG_1397.JPGIMG_1397.JPG IMG_1394.JPGIMG_1394.JPG IMG_1395.JPGIMG_1395.JPG IMG_1396.JPGIMG_1396.JPG IMG_1397-962.JPGIMG_1397-962.JPG IMG_1398.JPGIMG_1398.JPG
#16 9 years ago

Centaurs are tough to come by, if you had that up for 2k it would be gone within a day or 2. I agree with whysnow I wouldn't put it up for anything less then 2500 even with the worn pf.

#17 9 years ago

that pf looks pretty nice all things considered.

Most are worse than that one IME.

I bet it would be a pretty quick sale if you do 2500obo

#18 9 years ago

I was blessed by the Centaur gods and score three of them in two years. Sold two off, one at Allentown and one at York. Both went for $2500 unrestored average condition and only one worked 100%. This was all with in the last 2-3 years. Hope this helps.

#19 9 years ago

I just put a topper on mine, thought I'd sharetoppers 003.JPGtoppers 003.JPGcentaur ebay 007.JPGcentaur ebay 007.JPGcentaur ebay 010.JPGcentaur ebay 010.JPG

#20 9 years ago

Where do you get the topper?

#21 9 years ago

There is a similar condition one listed in Milwaukee CL for 2800.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I have a players Centaur and am curious what the value is. I know these are fairly hard to find and generally regarded as one of Ballys best in the 80's, just curious the current market assuming: Works 100%, some playfield wear, but almost fully mylared, cabinet looks really nice for its age and solid and the backglass is perfect except a one inch scratch that can't really been seen from the front of the backglass. I'd say overall its a slightly above average game shape wise. Thanks.

Bought one in similar(maybe not as good) condition from Pat a year ago for 2k, played it,cleaned it up and sold it to Mark for 2k. I always have a hard time selling Ballys here in the valley. Seems like there is alot of Centaurs, Paragons, Flash gordons etc around here

1 week later
#23 9 years ago

Had the topper custom made, a friend does laser etched acrylic, then made frame and edge lit the bottom. The center piece spent over 1-1/2 hours on the lasercentaur frame 001.JPGcentaur frame 001.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

£ 195.00
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-players-centaur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.