• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by NewPinOwner
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to purchase a Tales from the Crypt. I did my research via the price guides here at Pinside, but I wanted some opinions from people as well - not just algorithms.

What would you pay for one? What price should I be looking at being ready to pay to bring one home. As usual, it's supposed to be in "Excellent condition - 100% working order" - we'll see when I get there.....

Thoughts/Opinions. I know what I'm ready to spend, that's not the question. My question is what SHOULD I be ready to spend versus what I AM NOW ready to spend.

I'd post what I'm ready to spend, but some trolls are rather creative and I'm not letting this one get sold out from under me. Hope that doesn't come across to the rest of the community the wrong way. Thank you for your time, guys. Pin #3 might be coming home....

#2 7 years ago

1200-1600

Sold mine to a pinsider recently.

#3 7 years ago

yep 1200-1600 is a good range. love mine! Let me know if you need a topper

#4 7 years ago

Certainly not 3K like the one I saw on CL yesterday. Yikes!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I'd post what I'm ready to spend, but some trolls are rather creative and I'm not letting this one get sold out from under me. Hope that doesn't come across to the rest of the community the wrong way. Thank you for your time, guys. Pin #3 might be coming home....

I would never advise posting the relative location of a machine. Most people won't mess with it, but you never know. I had someone try to screw with a purchase I made based on the general area I gave out.

As for what to spend they seem to hover around the 1800 mark. That is asking price, selling would be less.

Things to ask:
Does it have the topper? If not figure around 60 + shipping give or take. It isn't like jp where they are ridiculously expensive.
Is the door knob shooter button there? It is often broken off.
Make sure the tombstone target works. Motors get expensive to replace.
Wear at the Creature Feature mode star hole.

Is this person a business, collector, or homeowner? Businesses can be shady, homeowners usually have no idea, and collectors really depend on how long they have been in the hobby and how meticulous.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from sleethering:

Certainly not 3K like the one I saw on CL yesterday. Yikes!

Nothing to do with your post, but I LOVE your avatar.

Party on.

#7 7 years ago

I got mine for 1400. Lots of demand for it, price is rising. Mine is superb, I recently turned down 2000 without a second thought. The price is going up, buy it now (don't get whitewatered)

#8 7 years ago

i agree with consensus, if you see one for 1,600 scoop it up and give her a new home

#9 7 years ago

I got mine for $1400 also. I wouldn't sell it for less than $1800. I love mine though, so my selling price is high. I would say if it's in great condition, $1600 plus, depending on how great of shape it is actually in.

Play it first would be my only suggestion, as this is one of those love it or hate it pins. Doesn't seem to be many so-so people. I LOVE mine

#10 7 years ago

"don't get whitewatered"

I have not heard the expression before, but it seems very apt in the pin world now!

#11 7 years ago

I just made it up . Been living in the pin world with that mindset ever since the price skyrocketed.

#12 7 years ago

They're going for ~$2200 up here in Toronto (with topper)

- B

#13 7 years ago

One I'm looking at is $1800, and man, now that myself and a couple friends looked at the pictures - wow - there are some frightening red flags. Prolly gonna pass on it.

#14 7 years ago

Paid $1600 for mine in very nice condition. One of my favorite pins in my lineup.

#15 7 years ago

These prices that everyone is mentioning - I forgot to clarify - are these within the pinside community, local, retail (pfft, right), or from collectors ?

#16 7 years ago

Mine was a local collector. Wanted 1100 but was taking too long to let it go. I offered 1300 and got it the next weekend.

#17 7 years ago

I found mine local on CL.

#18 7 years ago

i'd consider the prices mentioned as from one collector to another

#19 7 years ago

Bought from pinsider, declined offer when it was at expo.

#20 7 years ago

Update: I got a really good looking TFTC in the works. We'll see what we can work out. I'll keep everyone updated!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

Play it first would be my only suggestion, as this is one of those love it or hate it pins. Doesn't seem to be many so-so people. I LOVE mine

It took me a couple months before I started to enjoy mine. I would expect to see them $1500-1800 near me if they are average or better.

#22 7 years ago

If you see 2 for 1600 I miss mine I will buy the second one.

around 1500 give or take a little depending on condition and if there is a topper and working door knocker/launcher.

Make sure to check VUK's and the tombstone for proper functionality. Backbox lighting seems to almost always have some type of issue as well.

But I loved the game and I miss it so much if the machine is local I would say BUY BUY BUY

#23 7 years ago

Can anyone speak to the reliability of TFTC? There is one at the local arcade and its down more often than not. There was also one at Texas pinball festival and it was down and brought back to life at least twice that I saw, on the same day. I still want one though

#24 7 years ago

I had mine on location. It went down maybe 4 times in 2 years.

It is really a great game by DE. A-lot of mini games shaker motor and cool multiball.

It was always just a switch or post that needed adjustment.

There are a couple of spots that the ball can stick if it catches air.

If you shop it out and have it up and running 100% it is as reliable as any other machine IMHO.

#25 7 years ago

The only problem I've had with mine is snapping those drop targets off. They are a pain to get the new ones back on. Other than that its been awesome.

#26 7 years ago

Mine has had alot of issues with ppb board. There is a coil that is faulty and causing solder issues. After I fix that hopefully i'll be good.

#27 7 years ago

I've seen these listed privately from $1200 all the way up to $2000 fully shopped with the topper.

#28 7 years ago

I've had mine about 18 months. I did need to do a few things to it when I acquired it. But since then, it's been trouble free.

It's not the easiest pin in the world to work on - it's just hard to get to a lot of the problematic areas (VUK's, tombstone motor) with the playfield upright in the cabinet. When I was working on mine (at the beginning) I found it much easier to set up a couple sawhorses next to the machine and lift the playfield out and set it on its' side on the sawhorses. There is enough play in the wire loom so you can do this without unhooking anything.

But I think that "complaint" is typical DE, and not specific to TFTC. It's a great game. It took me several months to actually get into it (tweaking the setup, slope, etc) but there's a ton of stuff to do. If you can find a good example at $1500, I think it's a steal compared to the other options out there. I probably wouldn't sell mine for that though.

#29 7 years ago

$1300-1600 would be a realistic price range for TFTC, condition dependent. I found mine to be very reliable, plastics are pretty darn hard to find. Yes, the drop target cage is a PITA as well as the bulbs under it. Great pin, great fun, challenging, I miss TFTC. Will own it again someday!!

#30 7 years ago

More than likely, it's coming home tomorrow night

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Cool! I look forward to being the GC on your new machine!

#33 7 years ago

Yep, you will be until I reset the scores

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
4,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
£ 32.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside