• 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by snyper2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG3112.jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I can only find year old discussions on the value of this. The one I'm looking at has been listed on ebay and CL for well over a month at $2k with no takers. I know with ebay and paypal fees, he is willing to net 1740. I love the theme/movie, but from my research I don't think I should go over 1500. Claims it's been in a home arcade "forever," but that doesn't mean it wasn't routed.

Also, does anyone know how many of these were produced? I can't find that data anywhere.

#2 8 years ago

This game is tons of fun, can be a keeper in my opinion. I agree with $1,500 for the value of a nice working game, but if you really want it, I don't think $1700 is too bad. No idea on the production. If you love the movie, you will love this pin.

#3 8 years ago

Well if it helps at all, I bought one with cosmetic cabinet issues for $1800 and sold it locally for $1900 last year.

#4 8 years ago

Yeah they go for $1700 to $1900 quite often.

#5 8 years ago

thanks for the quick responses. I absolutely love the movie and do want it, however it's not a pin I just "have to have." I technically should finish putting my JM back together before I buy this one.

I fall into the demographic of who would want this one, and I think that is a small group. You have to like the movie, not care that it's not family friendly, and be okay with that 3rd flipper which in my mind takes some time to get used to.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from F3TT:

thanks for the quick responses. I absolutely love the movie and do want it, however it's not a pin I just "have to have." I technically should finish putting my JM back together before I buy this one.
I fall into the demographic of who would want this one, and I think that is a small group. You have to like the movie, not care that it's not family friendly, and be okay with that 3rd flipper which in my mind takes some time to get used to.

Agree on the third flipper, but it is integrated into the game in a nice way, and is a nice mix up from your traditional flipper set up.

#7 8 years ago

$1600-$1800

#8 8 years ago

Wouldn't personally pay more than $1600 unless I was dying to own it... SST isn't worth it. If SSTs are actually selling in the $2000 range, people are passing over better cheaper games to buy it. The last 3 FS threads I see here are $2000 (unsold), $2000 (unsold), and $1650 (sold for $1450).

#9 8 years ago

I bought a HUO SST for $1900 and it's worth every penny. It's a Stern Premium in disguse as a cheesy Sega. Medieval Madnesses layout with a badass sci-fi theme. What's not to go bananas over??

#10 8 years ago

I love my SST. Third one I have owned in fact (kept looking for a better example). To be honest, the way pin prices are lately, this game is a bargain at 2k or less. At least I think so. I know I paid 1800 for mine two years or so ago. One of Sega's better machines, and if your a fan of the movie, you will love it. Just having that music going while you play is a rush

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

What's not to go bananas over??

The dumb 3D cabinet head/translite. The audio. The rules or lack thereof.

Middle of the road game. Wouldn't go over $1500, OP.

#12 8 years ago

And if all these people can really find SST Sega DMD games for 1400 or 1500, you are missing the boat in the resale market, cause I never see any that cheap.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I bought a HUO SST for $1900 and it's worth every penny. It's a Stern Premium in disguse as a cheesy Sega. Medieval Madnesses layout with a badass sci-fi theme. What's not to go bananas over??

Totally agree with this!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

lol, I already saw you mention the MM layout in another thread.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

And if all these people can really find SST Sega DMD games for 1400 or 1500, you are missing the boat in the resale market, cause I never see any that cheap.

It's good to hear this higher sales data, but from my research... I could only find what DefaultGen talked about. Selling for $1450.

#16 8 years ago

fun game. Well worth the purchase IMO.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

The audio. The rules or lack thereof.

I disagree. audio is incredible if you like the movie. Lack of rules? You should read this and play one again. You might be surprised that there is a lot more there:

http://pinball.org/rules/starshiptroopers.html

#18 8 years ago

If you even like the theme a little bit, jump on it. Fun game.

...those that are telling you it's not worth the 2K, are the ones looking for the listing you mentioned so they can snap it up for $1740. lol

#19 8 years ago

I think $1500 is going to be the bottom for a good players machine these days. I saw one for sale in Florida about 6-7 months ago with an asking price of $1300, but haven't seen anything that low since... I've seen a couple of posts in the past where the production was figured at 1500 machines. Cheap fun game, it's going to be staying at our house for awhile!

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

The dumb 3D cabinet head/translite. The audio. The rules or lack thereof.
Middle of the road game. Wouldn't go over $1500, OP.

Wow, have you played and listened to the game?

Oh wait, you have a Hardbody in your collection (snicker) and you're making fun of a head/translight?

#21 8 years ago

I got mine for 1600. Great game. Make sure certain stuff is working.

#22 8 years ago

Hey Taxman, Are you going to color SST next? That would be awesome!

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Hey Taxman, Are you going to color SST next? That would be awesome!

Are color DMDs compatible in segas?

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Are color DMDs compatible in segas?

The MPU is a Sega/Stern Whitestar - Same as Monopoly, TSPP and South park.

So if those ever get done there is a chance.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The MPU is a Sega/Stern Whitestar - Same as Monopoly, TSPP and South Park.
So if those ever get done there is a chance.

Haha. Good to know. This game would be amazing for colordmd

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Wow, have you played and listened to the game?
Oh wait, you have a Hardbody in your collection (snicker) and you're making fun of a head/translight?

I was criticizing the shape of the backbox. That 3D dome thing is hideous.

And if you're questioning the beauty of HardBody, well. I don't want to of know a red blooded man like that.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

And if you're questioning the beauty of Hardbody, well. I don't want to of know a red blooded man like that.

Now this I agree with. Love hardbody.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Wouldn't personally pay more than $1600 unless I was dying to own it... SST isn't worth it. If SSTs are actually selling in the $2000 range, people are passing over better cheaper games to buy it. The last 3 FS threads I see here are $2000 (unsold), $2000 (unsold), and $1650 (sold for $1450).

What r better DMDS under 2k? Can't think of any for that price in California. ..

#29 8 years ago

It is now mine. Thanks for the input everyone. Guy said he owned it in his homefor 16+ years and bought it "almost" new from an operator I know. Said he recently replaced the CPU board for $500. Overall it looked great. The playfield was sort of dirty but no damage. The bug count windows were very hazy. I don't think it had been shopped/cleaned since he owned it. I asked to take the glass off, and I had to show him how to do it. When we took the glass off to look underneath, the gunk accumulated on the edge was way worse than my routed JM I got a few months ago. Inside of the cabinet was very clean. The glass had a few more scratches than I would have liked to have seen, but that's an easy fix. I know there is a factory clear coat, so I think some Treasure Cove polish should fix the playfield up nicely. The cabinet had one quarter sized scrape in the paint, but the rest of it looked great. DMD was crisp and bright. Played a couple of balls and everything seemed to work. Moving bug moved very smooth and quietly. I noticed the left flipper would briefly stick every 20 flips or so, but I think that's just because it was dirty. Flippers were strong. He also did confirm what BlueIrocGuy said, only 1500 produced.

Guy would not go under $1800, and I was hesitant to offer that. I told him I would think about it. We went back downstairs and started talking to his wife. We made small talk and the conversation somehow turned to how she was having trouble with Google Adwords.
Guess what I do for a living?

I have all the Google Adwords certs, and am one of the 18 "Partner Ambassadors" in all of USA and Canada selected by Google. I was like, "I can help you with that, ma'am." 2 hours later, he's offering me to trade the pinball to help his wife with her Google/Internet problems... which are plentiful.

Worst case is I pay $1000 for the machine and help his wife, best case I pay nothing and his wife becomes a client!

#30 8 years ago

j say 1500-1800

#31 8 years ago

great story and congrats!

#32 8 years ago

Sweet man. What the hell is Google Adwords? Haha

#33 8 years ago

Agreed, good for you. And also what the heck are Google Adwords? I guess I could Google it.

#34 8 years ago

@Taxman @Chuckwurt It's their advertising platform and how they earn billions of dollars each quarter.

#35 8 years ago

Make money? But its free

Good luck with the SST. If you are a fan of the movie (I pretend only the first one exists) you will love the game. You do have to get use to the extra button. Call-outs are great. Match sequence with brain bug funny. And (like all Sega games) it is a 6 player.

#36 8 years ago

Absolutely love the movie. I now have the complete "what makes Dina Meyer pinball relevant" collection. She faved and retweeted this post I made about polishing her to a brilliant shine. https://twitter.com/DavidKyle/status/619689977056731136

I've been playing the pinball arcade digital version. Do you know if that's Casper Van Dien on the custom pinball related callouts or an impostor? I know that's really Michael Ironside, but it sounds like it might have been lifted from the movie.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from F3TT:

@Taxman @Chuckwurt It's their advertising platform and how they earn billions of dollars each quarter.

Thats kind of what i figured just never heard the Adwords term before.

Anyway, get that thing cleaned and Kill Em All!!

#38 8 years ago

Good deal! I'm on my third time owning this game.. Everytime I sell it I immediately regret it -- a good sign it's a true keeper! I won't be selling again. Plus... It has Michael Ironside in it!

Don't be concerned about the dirt. I find the dirt on this game actually preserves it! I'm betting you find a minty playfield under there

Also, the #1 concern when buying a SST is the moving hopper bug mech. If that's broken you're kinda screwed as I don't believe there are any replacements out there.

Has anyone here done the Stereo upgrade? I want to do it but I suck at locating parts.. I wish there was a kit available (hint)

#39 8 years ago

PS. This is one of the most difficult pins out there to shop.. Sooo many intricate layers!!! Good luck!

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Has anyone here done the Stereo upgrade? I want to do it but I suck at locating parts.. I wish there was a kit available (hint)

I have a friend who did this along with adding a sub and some flasher mods. Needless to say, his SST is insane.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Also, the #1 concern when buying a SST is the moving hopper bug mech. If that's broken you're kinda screwed as I don't believe there are any replacements out there.

I remember reading about one of the mechs being an issue and unobtainium. Of course that was many years ago when replacement parts were rare for anything. What goes wrong? Is it the Hopper bug or Warrior? The Warrior goes back and forth on a big plastic worm gear to block the multiball hole. I wonder what the parts are that you can't get. With 3D printing and other stuff these days I'm sure anything can be fixed.

#42 8 years ago

@pinball_customs I forgot I didn't mention that. One of the first things I looked for. It worked perfectly. Very smooth movement and quiet. I'm not looking to strip this one down until I get my JM done. I'll do the best I can without taking anything apart. It played nice the way it is minus the occasional left flipper sticking. That wasn't even really that bad. It would stick for less than a second when it did so.

#43 8 years ago

@taxman I thought he was talking about the Warrior. The other one is the pop up brain bug. I didn't test that, but from strategy guides I've read, it's real risky to shoot at for points you get from it. Where is the hopper and what does it do?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I remember reading about one of the mechs being an issue and unobtainium. Of course that was many years ago when replacement parts were rare for anything. What goes wrong? The Warrior goes back and forth on a big plastic worm gear to block the multiball hole. I wonder what the parts are that you can't get.

The part that is the hardest to find if you need it is the stepper motor that drives the Warrior bug back and forth. I'm not sure if anyone has found a suitable replacement model as the factory stock appears to be gone. Just keep the Warrior bug going back and forth smoothly on the rails and hopefully there shouldn't be any issues!

There is an SST pinball club group that has lots of great info and links on speaker upgrades, fixes, mod stuff, etc, ...the usual cool helpful stuff you can find on pinside!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-want-to-know-more-sst-owners-club-past-present-and-future

It's awesome that you have 2 Dina Meyers games! I've been looking for the second one but haven't seen much locally...

Enjoy your SST!!

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from F3TT:

@taxman I thought he was talking about the Warrior. The other one is the pop up brain bug. I didn't test that, but from strategy guides I've read, it's real risky to shoot at for points you get from it. Where is the hopper and what does it do?

The only 2 things that move on the playfield are the Warrior and the Brain Bug. Lots of other fixed cool looking toys on the game that could possibly get modded (lights), but I haven't done anything with mine (yet!).

#46 8 years ago

Sorry, yes.. the Warrior bug (not the hopper). The motor on that is NLA. When shopping this game, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL not to bend the track on that assembly.

#47 8 years ago

Sold mine for $2000. Fun game, but ultimately I wanted to play something else after having it a year.

#48 8 years ago

Awesome story! I can only hope one day a seller needs help with their telepresence support needs and I can trade my services for their pinball machine. One day...

#49 8 years ago

sold a nice one for 2000, would buy it back at that price point. 2nd one ive owned. will probably own again
tuned up plays like a newer stern... imo

#50 8 years ago

I paid 2500 a month ago (Canadian). Was shopped real nice. Just plug and play. It's at my neighbours since I ran out of space so only played maybe 10 games so far. I'm liking it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-on-starship-troopers-sst/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.