7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Tommi_Gunn
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have been chatting with another pinsider, he seems like a great guy btw, about purchasing a machine of his. The problem is the machine would need to be shipped as we are about 1k miles away from each other.

I have never interacted with a shipping company and the seller has limited experience with them as well but recommended I use North American Van Lines.

Anyway, I called NAVL yesterday and got directed to their "arcade department" (actually, I was glad to hear the moving company had an arcade department). I left a couple messages. They got back to me today. They do appear to be full service and will shrink and pad wrap the pin (which is really good). I have three questions and appreciate any feedback:

1) Aparently the NAVL "arcade department" is Clemmer Moving & Storage, Inc. as an Agent for Allied Van Lines? Does that sound right to everyone or is that a different moving company I would be out sourced to?

2) The price is $519.91 to ship the pin from Florida to Louisiana. Does that seem high or is that the cost these days for curb side delivery?

3) They could not provide me an exact day of pick up from the seller, rather they said they would call him one day prior to the pickup. This makes it a bit difficult to coordinate the pick up with the seller, but if it is the industry standard then I totally understand. Is it the industry standard?

Anyway, sorry for all the noob questions. Though I've had a couple pins for a long time I've really only in the past month decided to make this a real hobby and learn about the industry. Many thanks for your time if you respond.

#2 7 years ago

Wow that is high. I recently used navl for my Tron LE from atlanta to Vegas, I paid $ 390 including 7k insurance. It was picked up blanket wrapped, and delivered without 1 issue. I'd call back and ask why it's so high, that seems overly $$$.

#3 7 years ago

Hmm, thank you for the quick response ctozzi. Yea, Atlanta to Vegas is a further distance from this order so that does have me put the price into question. I suppose the natural counter to that that the deliverer could use though is: "Atlanta and Vegas are major cities and centers of transportation, easier to pick up and deliver there" (both the seller and I are in smaller cities).

I think I will ask about that though. That is a substantial difference.

#4 7 years ago

Call Michelle Bianchi. (630)-352-3312 or mbianchi <aht> precision-nal <doht> com

She's the lady that pioneered shipping pins with NAVL and built their 'arcade division'. For some reason, calling Michelle direct often gets better rates

I shipped a POTC with 4k insurance from IL to OH recently for around 425.

#5 7 years ago

Ive used NAVL several times and they are awesome! The number Ive been calling is
    1-800-959-8880 and the company that picks up and delivers is STI. It does depend on what branch for the price, not sure how that works but you can be certain it will be delivered. As far as them calling the person with the pin they are very reasonable about working out a time but they will give a window of a couple hours.

#6 7 years ago

you can also check freightquote.com

#7 7 years ago

Yes STI is the company that did the shipping for them. Very professional and very timely.

#8 7 years ago

$519 ?!?!?!?!?! . Geez, don't let them see you coming - DO NOT pay that.

I got a quote with them from Tuscon, AZ to Dayton, OH at one point for $375. You would be better off just renting a cargo van and getting it yourself. That's what I'm doing to get my TFTC tomorrow - cargo van from Dayton to Chicago - 5.5 - 6 hours each way - 12 hour driving day tomorrow. STILL cheaper than that quote.

#9 7 years ago

I posted here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-shipping

About where I go to get shipping. I've had good experiences and it's much less than NAVL.

I usually try to ship terminal to terminal, but that's somtimes problematic depending on the seller.

http://www.coinopshippers.com/

Robert

#10 7 years ago

Thanks for all the assistance guys! I really appreciate all the suggestions and the time ya'll have taken to provide them.

#11 7 years ago

I would avoid coinopshippers as this issue has still not been resolved:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coinopshipperscom-fedex-freight

The shipper damaged someone's game, and coinopshippers dropped the ball on purchasing insurance as promised.

#12 7 years ago

I got a quote from Coinopshippers from Los Angeles to Houston less than a month ago.

It was for a game on a pallet with lift gates in both locations.

Michelle was $350 and Coinopshippers was $522.

4 months later
    #13 7 years ago

Is Michelle still at NAVL?

#14 7 years ago

as of 3 week ago she was. probably still is.

#15 7 years ago

It totally depends on big city centers vs. rural areas. We shipped via NAVL twice and the second time was quite a bit more expensive (more like $400 though) and I asked why, and that was why.

They are a company with a good reputation. In my opinion, I'd just bite the bullet and pay it, for those reasons. It's a matter of a hundred bucks give or take, and IMO, to go with a company that has a good reputation, that's still worth the peace of mind.

#16 7 years ago

$450 to ship from Portland to Washington DC, pretty much from one end of the US to another. $400 to ship from Washington DC to rural South Carolina, several hours drive.

Regardless of the distance, it will be anywhere from $300 - $450. Use NAVL. Michelle still works there.

#17 7 years ago

I did NAVL for $361 in March.
    Buffalo NY to Madison WI.

Game arrived in perfect shape.

#18 7 years ago

i use pilot air. it's usually $200 (dosen't seem to matter if it's across the country). never had a problem. I pallet it, the pick it up, fly it over and depo it. buyer can either pick it up at the depo or they can curb side it for an extra 50-60. navl just sucks, they pretty much do the the same thing. point A to B for 2x,3x as much.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

i use pilot air. it's usually $200 (dosen't seem to matter if it's across the country). never had a problem. I pallet it, the pick it up, fly it over and depo it. buyer can either pick it up at the depo or they can curb side it for an extra 50-60. navl just sucks, they pretty much do the the same thing. point A to B for 2x,3x as much.

If you have to pallet the pin for Pilot Air, NAVL is *not* doing the same thing since you don't have to pallet it for them.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Is Michelle still at NAVL?

No. She is with Precision/STI. She is the head of the Coin-Op Division for STI.

STI will pallet, if you want them to. But they prefer to ship blanket wrapped, on the legs - strapped to the siderails. I have had at least 10 pins taken in and out from them in the past year. The only one that was damaged was brought in on a skid and hit with a forklift. They paid me promptly for every cent of the damage.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

It totally depends on big city centers vs. rural areas. We shipped via NAVL twice and the second time was quite a bit more expensive (more like $400 though) and I asked why, and that was why.

This is very true. I am shipping a game from PA to NH and it's only about a 700 miles, however is going to cost around $415 since the delivery is in a rural area.

Michelle is here to:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-shipping-2

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

If you have to pallet the pin for Pilot Air, NAVL is *not* doing the same thing since you don't have to pallet it for them.

correct, but i would never ship a game unless it on a pallet, wrapped, and strapped. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it for me. I know it will be shipped right. got to idiot proof it. navl loads it on the truck as is, and for extra, they'll throw a dirty blacket around it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    LightAndTimeArt
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Playfield - Protection
    PinShield
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 9.10
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside