• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

101_0862.JPG
101_0861.JPG
101_0857.JPG
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Hey all,

have a line on a Judge Dredd with the Deadworld mod for $1400. Fair price/good deal/meh?

Also, thoughts on what to look out for, and how it'll pair with my JM?

Thanks,
EV

#2 12 years ago

I just paid about that for mine. Does it have a topper? Mine didn't and it costs almost $200 for a replacement if it matters to you.

#3 12 years ago

Can only comment on the price. Friend bought a real nice example with topper and deadworld mod for $1500 six months ago.

He does like the machine.

#4 12 years ago

Is this the one that recently went up on Chicago craigslist? If so, I'm pretty sure I know the seller. Good guy, and a Pinsider to boot.

#5 12 years ago

Make sure the deadworld motor runs consistently/evenly during the test mode. Noisy is normal, but it must run smooth/consistent

check for cracked right ramp above the right outlane (cliffy makes a patch for it but good for negotiations)

check for proper drop target function (& middle target should be thicker than others)

Make sure fed ex didn't forklift it in the cabinet. Sorry Ssathre

#6 12 years ago

Sold mine a year ago for 800 DW mod full leds no topper.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from TheJesus:

Sold mine a year ago for 800 DW mod full leds no topper.

I thought nobody f*&^ed with the Jesus?

#8 12 years ago

I missed out on one about 6mo ago for $1200. No mods, topper, or leds. Pin was in great shape but I wanted it for $1000. Ad was only up for a week.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is this the one that recently went up on Chicago craigslist? If so, I'm pretty sure I know the seller. Good guy, and a Pinsider to boot.

Gweem! Thats the one I just bought! Im gonna pick it up in the next couple days.

#10 12 years ago

You know just as i do the price of pins in mn and wi are pretty low. We have massive amounts of high end collectors here. These c titles often go for 800-1200. I liked dredd it just got old.

Reason being the high end guys dont touch this stuff and it gets passed back and forth to the new guys are others who just are looking for filler like i was.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from TheJesus:

You know just as i do the price of pins in mn and wi are pretty low.

i can't find $hit to buy. pass those deals my way, jesus. much obliged.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Gweem! Thats the one I just bought! Im gonna pick it up in the next couple days.

Awesome! It stayed in the Pinside family.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from TheJesus:

These c titles often go for 800-1200

YOu think the 38th ranked pin is c list? Seriously?? It's a solid B for me. Oh snap, a/b/c list can of worms

#14 12 years ago

Depends on the rest of the machine. For $1400 I'd expect a near perfect playfield, good plastics and a very nice cabinet with very little fade. It should not have any play issues. It should probably have the topper for that price. If any of those are not right, use them to negotiate. $1400 is pretty good money for a Dredd. I have bought two in the past, one for $1k and one for $800, both in good players shape with nice playfields. If this one has any issues at all either negotiate or walk away...there are lots out there.

Deadworld mod is a nice extra but it's only $50 if I remember right, so shouldn't be a deal maker or breaker either way.

Dave covered the things to watch for pretty well above. I'll add if there are any play issues, 90% chance it's related to the trough. Either opto issues, those damn IDC connectors, or trough divots. If the trough isn't working perfectly, it will cause all kinds off issues, especially with a DW modded game.

Great game...it SHOULD be worth more, but it's not.

#15 12 years ago

I just got a JD and I LOVE it. What an awesome game with so many different ways to play. Really good value for the going rate. This should be a $3k pin IMO.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Really good value for the going rate.

it's hard to beat

#17 12 years ago

I bought jediturtles old machine from jim ferris for 900 bucks lol

#18 12 years ago

I have a deal in play now to get a dm and jm for 3 grand. I get get a lotr 3 of them for 3 grand apiece. what do you need found let me know and i will point you there.

#19 12 years ago

I'm really interested in why this game sells for so cheap; bought one last month and absolutely love it.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from TheJesus:

I bought jediturtles old machine from jim ferris for 900 bucks lol

LOL...small world watching how these get passed around. Is it the same one you mentioned selling for $800 above? That sucker is going down in price! I paid $1000, you paid $900, sold for $800. Complete with anarchy symbol scratched in the cab if I remember right! Playfield was really nice though.

If it is the same one you sold for $800, where did the topper get lost? I could use it for my new one!

#21 12 years ago

Wow a JD would go for $1900 to $2500 around these parts.

#22 12 years ago

I left topper with jim i hated it and didnt have high ceilings anyway. Sold it for 800 because nobody around here wants it lol. Not in the circle i run in. It went to PA

#23 12 years ago

Ha! I have low ceilings too and it didn't fit when I had it. It just barely fit on my Blackout though. I should have kept it, especially knowing it's not with the game now anyway and my new one doesn't have one. Oh well!

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I'm really interested in why this game sells for so cheap; bought one last month and absolutely love it.

These are the pins I love. Great playing under appreciated pins that you can get almost 2 for the price of one more expensive machine.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I think there are a few reasons.

1) When people hear Judge Dredd, they automatically think of the crappy Stallone movie. I've talked to multiple people that were actually surprised when I told them it is not based on the movie.

2) It is based on a very popular UK comic book that never got all that popular here. So no one really knows what it is (other than the bad movie adaption).

3) The dark humor. It's not exactly a "family friendly" theme, which keeps some households from accepting it. It has some scary images, sounds, and dots. There is some very PG-13 stuff like the girl stripping in stake-out, the dog peeing on the guy impaled in sniper tower, etc. Personally myself and my wife find these things hilarious and not damaging to our daughters mental health kept in context, but some families will think differently. I understand and respect that.

4) It's one of the more finicky machines. Much like ST:TNG, all those optos especially in the trough can cause some trouble. The Deadworld mod requires everything to work perfectly and the machine will completely freak out if something isn't right.

5) The rules. While there are many modes, which are well varied and use all of the playfield, the crime scenes could have been used in better ways. It seems like there had to be more planned for them with the color changing ability, but oh well. It is also a major bummer that they reuse the same wizard mode both for completing the mode "chain" and for capturing all the judges in multiball. There should have been two seperate modes. I also really wish they would have done something with combos as there are so many combo opportunities on the playfield that it's insane!

Now me personally, I find all of these things to be either non-issues, or minor enough to live with (such as the crime scene rules thing...there is plenty else there). The game offers just about everything a person could want in a game. I'll quote myself in a paragraph that I've used many times when summing up my feelings for Judge Dredd:

"Dredd is one of those "everything but the kitchen sink" games, and
probably the most affordable game with this much going on. It has the
coolest ball locks ever (with DW mod of course), hilarious animations,
great sound, 9 unique modes, 6 ball multiball, 5 drop targets, 4
flippers, 4 ramps, 3 captive balls, 2 smoking fast loops, and a
partridge...er...eagle in a pear tree! Plus Supergame has another
set of 4 different modes with an easily achievable 6 ball multiball
for the less skilled players or youngins who just want to see all the
balls. It's a hard machine that you won't get bored of quickly. My
only reservation is that you must be able to appreciate the comic book
art and dark (but hilarious) humor. The only real bummer about the
game to me is that I wish the crime scenes were used better. It sure
seems like more was planned for them, and some cool rules could have
been developed there. Oh well...still an awesome game as-is."

#26 12 years ago

YES! Super excited to pick mine up. I feel really good about. Less anxiety and more excitement than my first pin.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

4) It's one of the more finicky machines. Much like ST:TNG, all those optos especially in the trough can cause some trouble. The Deadworld mod requires everything to work perfectly and the machine will completely freak out if something isn't right.

What would you recommend to preemptive strike this? I see that pinbits has a trough protector.
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_8&products_id=449&zenid=rraggep0s9m3dbcgapukv320v7

#27 12 years ago

YES! Super excited to pick mine up. I feel really good about. Less anxiety and more excitement than my first pin.

I was hoping you were planning on buying mine when i saw your poll question yesterday! No big deal or anything, though. Enjoy the game.

#28 12 years ago

What would you recommend to preemptive strike this? I see that pinbits has a trough protector.
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_8&products_id=449&zenid=rraggep0s9m3dbcgapukv320v7

Yes I like to have a few spares of them because they are relatively cheap and if the ball through does get a bit magnetized or dented this solves the problem with very little effort and cost.

#29 12 years ago

Played it and I didnt like it. I turned one down for 800.oo. Beware.

#30 12 years ago

Owned one for a year, sold it for $1.3 K and miss it! I would add one back to the collection in a second.

#31 12 years ago

wish SSathre would get his done so i could check it out LOL

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

That's exactly why I want one. ST:TNG and JD are "technician's tables". I'll be adding a JD in the near future.

#33 12 years ago

I picked one up about a month ago and have to agree with Jediturtle. The movie stunk, but the pin is great. Added the Deadworld mod and it came with the trough protector. I had real reservations buying it 'cause it needed a lot of work, but I kept telling myself, "It's a '93 Bally widebody and you love TZ and STTNG...you'll like it". Definately worth more then $1400 to me. Mine is sitting next to TFTC and I like both games (both made in 1993), but the quality of JD is much much better.

#34 12 years ago

JD is a very good pin and I have only played it without the deadworld mod. 1400 seems like a good deal.

#35 12 years ago

oops

#36 12 years ago

Thanks for all of your advice folks.

I had a look at her tonight, and she's in pretty decent condition. Has the Deadworld mod, as well as quite a fed LEDs in places. Playfield and plastics are perfect. Only two issues;

1) The bottom horizontal surface is a bit rough from some apparent water damage, but it doesn't show on the cabinet sides at all. Doesn't come through the inside either. The only way you see it is crawling underneath. Inside the cabinet the bottom feels totally solid.

2) Center bank of drop targets go down really slowly when hit. (Any tips here Davewth?)

I figure these are things I can live with, so I made the deal! Got it for a bit less than asking as well. Comes home on Thursday.

.....and then there were two....

Later,
EV

#37 12 years ago

If you got if for less than the $1400 asking, I'd say you did good. Slow drops shouldn't be a big deal...they probably just need a cleaning. Take the mechanism out and take it apart...shouldn't be all that bad of a job. The center one is a little more complicated as the game can drop it itself when needed, but it still shouldn't be that bad.

If the bottom feels solid and you can't see any issue from the sides, I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Perfect plastics is a nice bonus. Almost all of them have a cracked or broken crane plastic and shooter lane plastic. Be very careful when you raise the playfield and rest it against the backbox...that's where those get broken.

Great pickup...enjoy one of the coolest pins ever made!

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

.....and then there were two....

Same here bro. Picked mine up last night.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

4) It's one of the more finicky machines. Much like ST:TNG, all those optos especially in the trough can cause some trouble

Yep, already ran into problems with this within 10 minutes of me setting it up. Right lane ball kicker. Check out my other thread.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-shooter-lane-troubleshooting

#39 12 years ago

Now there are two....(for now???)

101_0857.JPG101_0857.JPG

Later,
EV

#40 12 years ago

Congrats!!! Looks great!

#41 12 years ago

Thanks!

Played a couple of games on it, and really started to get annoyed with the previously mentioned slow drop target bank. So, after 2 hours in the house, she's already torn apart. Good news is that I was able to remove the entire target bank, and all it really needs is a good cleaning. Black goop/dust on most of the posts were making more friction than the springs could overcome.

Give me a bit more time and I'll have her good as new.

Later,
EV

#42 12 years ago

Awesome! Looks familiar.

#43 12 years ago

Nice! Two of the absolutely best values in pinball. A whole lot of bang-for-the-buck going on at your place! Congrats!

#44 12 years ago

Pictures of the partially dis-assembled drop target bank and of the offending goop.

101_0861.JPG101_0861.JPG 101_0862.JPG101_0862.JPG

Any recommendations on the best way to clean this? I'm using just Q-tips dipped in water, but the stuff is quite sticky. Would rubbing alcohol be safe?

Thanks,
EV

#45 12 years ago

Strip it down to bare metal and go at it hard. Get an old stiff toothbrush, scrub pad or something similar, some Bleche White, 409, whatever grease/gunk cutter you have handy around the house. Let it soak if necessary (again, you are down to bare metal, correct?). Once clean, buff it up the best you can.

If you were doing a high-end restore, maybe approach it differently. But for what you are doing, no worries. Attacking it with a Q-tip and water is kinda like trying to chop down an oak tree with a pocketknife. You may get there eventually, but there's really no reason to do it if you have a chainsaw sitting next to you.

#46 12 years ago

I'm a big fan of Orange Power from Pinrestore, but any good degreaser should help.

#47 12 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Gusphan said:I'm really interested in why this game sells for so cheap; bought one last month and absolutely love it.

I think there are a few reasons.
1) When people hear Judge Dredd, they automatically think of the crappy Stallone movie. I've talked to multiple people that were actually surprised when I told them it is not based on the movie.
2) It is based on a very popular UK comic book that never got all that popular here. So no one really knows what it is (other than the bad movie adaption).
3) The dark humor. It's not exactly a "family friendly" theme, which keeps some households from accepting it. It has some scary images, sounds, and dots. There is some very PG-13 stuff like the girl stripping in stake-out, the dog peeing on the guy impaled in sniper tower, etc. Personally myself and my wife find these things hilarious and not damaging to our daughters mental health kept in context, but some families will think differently. I understand and respect that.
5) The rules. While there are many modes, which are well varied and use all of the playfield, the crime scenes could have been used in better ways. It seems like there had to be more planned for them with the color changing ability, but oh well. It is also a major bummer that they reuse the same wizard mode both for completing the mode "chain" and for capturing all the judges in multiball. There should have been two seperate modes. I also really wish they would have done something with combos as there are so many combo opportunities on the playfield that it's insane!
Now me personally, I find all of these things to be either non-issues, or minor enough to live with (such as the crime scene rules thing...there is plenty else there). The game offers just about everything a person could want in a game. I'll quote myself in a paragraph that I've used many times when summing up my feelings for Judge Dredd:
"Dredd is one of those "everything but the kitchen sink" games, and
probably the most affordable game with this much going on. It has the
coolest ball locks ever (with DW mod of course), hilarious animations,
great sound, 9 unique modes, 6 ball multiball, 5 drop targets, 4
flippers, 4 ramps, 3 captive balls, 2 smoking fast loops, and a
partridge...er...eagle in a pear tree! Plus Supergame has another
set of 4 different modes with an easily achievable 6 ball multiball
for the less skilled players or youngins who just want to see all the
balls. It's a hard machine that you won't get bored of quickly. My
only reservation is that you must be able to appreciate the comic book
art and dark (but hilarious) humor. The only real bummer about the
game to me is that I wish the crime scenes were used better. It sure
seems like more was planned for them, and some cool rules could have
been developed there. Oh well...still an awesome game as-is."

Wow, Jedi, it is as if I wrote that. Great review! The only other thing I would add is that the feeling the flippers gave to the user was a bit disconnected. Maybe it was the opto board in mine, but I never felt truly connected to the game. Also, not much of a nudging finesse game due to the speed and the weight of that wide-body.

To the OP, you did good! JD and JM are awesome pins, at any price level. I brought and sold my JD for under 1k, sometimes miss it. Have fun!

#48 12 years ago

Well,

I cleaned the snot out of the drop target assembly, and the pull down speed got better. Still not as quick/sharp as I thought it should be though.

Talked to a few folks about it, and one recommendation turned out to be the issue-killer. All five of the drop targets had the after-market J-U-D-G-E stickers on them. The surface finish of the stickers cause just enough friction on the plastic hold-up ledge to cause the slow movement.

I removed the stickers, and bingo! Quick moving drop targets. Installed them in the Judge last night, and now I have a fully functional game. It's way fun now that it works 100%!

Later,
EV

#49 12 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

It's way fun now that it works 100%!

Welcome to the JD club! It's a great, unique game.

#50 12 years ago

Surprised nobody mentioned that the game has no pop bumpers.This might be a turn off to some as well.Not me....I think it is a good game especially for the price.Superpin bro!!!Scott

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-on-judge-dredd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.