Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2015-11-17_19.18.19.jpg

#1 3 years ago

A relative of someone I know has the 1967 Gottlieb game Melody. I said I was interested in buying it and they said to make an offer. I was told it needs some work but powers on and has been sitting unused for the past 10 years. The only picture I have is included. Just want an idea of what you guys think is a fair offer since I really don't pay attention to EM machines and their is no real price history for this particular machine.

2015-11-17_19.18.19.jpg

#2 3 years ago

Melody is on my wish list. Hope I can find one someday.

I'd pay around $1,500 for one in good condition. This seems a bit rougher than that, however, though it's hard to tell from this single picture.

#3 3 years ago

500-700 shopped and OK condition(??), that one probably needs work/cleaning/shop job. If playfield has no planking or severe wear and backglass has no flaking it'd be $300-400 maybe...less if it has wear issues/flaking, more like 150-250..? no pics of cabinet, if that's flaking etc. I'd go towards the bottom range.

#4 3 years ago

If someone has that machine sitting in the basement for 10 years and wants it gone, my offer is $200.

#5 3 years ago

This game has my favorite back glass artwork. I had a very nice example that I sold years ago. Very fun game and family themed. Not a lot produced.

Tough to tell from just this one pic...so many things to consider that 'we' can't see to make a price judgement. To end my babble, ; ) I would say if average shape $500-$700...somewhat in Wickerman2's range but not shopped.

If it was me, I couldn't make an offer based on just this 1 pic. Good luck.

#6 3 years ago

I'd buy one of these in a second for $500-700, assuming that it was in decent shape. That being said, I'd rather pay more for a better example. If anyone is in the selling mood...

#7 3 years ago

It's funny how things work. Originally, I was told they just wanted to get rid of it and I could probably get it cheap or for free. They then let their relative know that I collect pinball machines and suddenly they are interested in getting top dollar from the vibe I'm getting. I was just looking to add an interesting machine to the lineup based on video I've seen of it.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Capinball:

getting top dollar from the vibe I'm getting.

Just yesterday I bought a beat up EM and they gave me the "these are selling for $4000 on Ebay"...my response "not this one!"

#9 3 years ago

There's only a few EM titles that sell for top dollar... You should be able to buy a Gottlieb Melody from a private party between $200 and $500 if it's in decent shape. The "I saw one of these on Pawn Stars for $2500" pricing method always results in another unsold pinball...

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

There's only a few EM titles that sell for top dollar... You should be able to buy a Gottlieb Melody from a private party between $200 and $500 if it's in decent shape. The "I saw one of these on Pawn Stars for $2500" pricing method always results in another unsold pinball...

I usually explain that TV prices are over-inflated for dramatic effect.

Also, that dragging a non-working game out of a basement is like buying a broken down used car from your neighbor down the street versus going to a car dealership in the city with a dozen employees and a big showroom. Ebay would be the dealership, in this example.

#11 3 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm still new to the hobby but not life so if the seller is dead set on inflated pricing I'll let it pass and look forward to hearing about someone on here scoring it for half of what I was offering.

They plan on listing it on Craigslist from what I understand if we don't make a deal. I don't think they've ever sold anything on CL either so good luck with that.

#12 3 years ago

Go look at it or get better pictures. Offer what you think is a good price for you. My opinion, $200. If the offer is turned down, let them go the CL route. With the glut of overpriced EM games around us listed, they will either get no calls or offers far below $200. My guess is you'll get a call in a couple of weeks to come get it. Since they are CL virgins, the people they'll get to talk to on the phone may quickly make them reconsider your offer.

#13 3 years ago

You should be able to buy a Gottlieb Melody from a private party between $200 and $500 if it's in decent shape

Please let me know where I can get that deal!

#14 3 years ago

Find me one in that price range and I'll leave work right now and buy it!

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Find me one in that price range and I'll leave work right now and buy it!

Me, too!!!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Capinball:

It's funny how things work. Originally, I was told they just wanted to get rid of it and I could probably get it cheap or for free. They then let their relative know that I collect pinball machines and suddenly they are interested in getting top dollar from the vibe I'm getting. I was just looking to add an interesting machine to the lineup based on video I've seen of it.

Just tell them to forget about it. People always have useless crap they want to get rid of and when they realize it has some value to you, suddenly they get greedy.

5 years from now they'll be moving and will call you to come get it for free.

This exact scenario played out for me on a free Strange Science.

#17 3 years ago

Yeah, where do we form the line for the $200 Melodys?

I sort of understand what Steve-in CT is saying though. They may put it on Craigslist for $750 and have to deal with all the characters with ridiculous offers. I remember a guy telling me my Cow Poke was only worth $300. Eventually someone is going to step up though. Melody is a great game and hard to find.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Please let me know where I can get that deal!

Looking on RGP I found Melody project for $500 in 2003. There was also one for $675 in 1997 if you want to go back.

#19 3 years ago

Mr Pinball says $750 on VGC shopped...though not always accurate on the Em's. If this is sitting in storage with $hit piled all over it, cabinet from what is seen is probably rough...complete unknown on everything else, not working...it's not worth top dollar.

#22 3 years ago

Yeah, that's a lot more in line with my experience.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

ebay.com link

Ebay links!!

#25 3 years ago

Craig, if this was not in your wish list and was another EM game with limited sales history and varying qualities for research, you'd still offer around $500 probably, right?

eBay reminds me of when you'd look at a Beckett card guide and see the highs and lows that cards sold for. Im not gonna lie, it feels great when you sell something for more than you know it should be worth or than you thought you'd get. If you look at completed listings that tells the real story. I always try to remind my kids of the old adage that something is only worth however much someone is willing to pay for it.

It's just annoying seeing a lot of these pins on eBay that will sit there for years in hopes of some sucker purchasing because they don't know better. A lot of them being held by a company in CT. Even if said company had better prices I wouldn't give them my business because when I was 20, I went into their store to inquire about a pin and was treated like shit.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Capinball:

Craig, if this was not in your wish list and was another EM game with limited sales history and varying qualities for research, you'd still offer around $500 probably, right?

Probably so.

Believe me, I know the limits of eBay, especially when it comes to pins. I just happened to see this and so thought I'd add it to the discussion. Were it for sale within driving distance of me, I'd definitely check it out.

The least I have paid for an EM is $650, and that was quite a good deal. Of course, I am rather fussy about the condition of my pins. I have passed up $500-or-less deals that just didn't appeal to me due to the machine's relatively poor condition (worn playfields, beater cabinets, etc.).

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't dream of paying $8k+ for, say, a MB, but plenty of others would. I am willing to spend more on EMs because I value them more than most, partly because of my own age and especially because they are the only pins my wife will play.

#27 3 years ago

Don't forget that Ebay charges 10% to the seller.

#28 3 years ago

I have a COMPLETELY restored "MELODY" that was restored from the bottom up. It honestly looks like it was just pulled out of the box from 1967. It is a very high end restoration.

I was offered 3K for it and turned it down ... it is a very collectible, fun and highly addicting pin. I laugh when people that don't really know about or appreciate EM classic games think they are $300 - $500 pins. Those prices are for beat up PROJECT pins ... NOT for EM pin titles, that are beautiful original examples OR high end restored examples. That makes a huge difference in price value and those price guides and books do NOT apply to the pinball machine examples I listed above!

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

beautiful original examples

we have 1 blurry pic to go by here

#30 3 years ago

It took a lot too, For me to get that one picture.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

we have 1 blurry pic to go by here

I wasn't saying that particular MELODY is worth the prices I was talking about ... it is for the people that always think a EM is NEVER worth over $500 and can usually be found and purchased for around $200 ... the pinball title and condition is EVERYTHING!

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

it is for the people that always think a EM is NEVER worth over $500

That's like saying all DMDs are $1400 games folks!

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

EM is NEVER worth over $500 and can usually be found and purchased for around $200

who said that anyway? let's get 'em!

#34 3 years ago

There are WAY more than just a few EM machine's that sell for well over $2,500

Look at :
1954 Genco two player basketball
1955 United deluxe super slugger (pitch & bat)
Many EM manakin games

These are just a few examples of what I am talking about and these are all EM machines ... and this list will also include the EM pinballs ... but they have to be the highly collectible and sought after titles and again ... condition is EVERYTHING, but high prices DO exist on these types of EMs

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

high prices DO exist on these types of EMs

It's just that there are very few if any EM price police.

#36 3 years ago

getting back to the topic...a blurry photo of a Melody with $hit piled on it, in storage for years with questionable condition/functionality. Nice and broken $500-700, OK and broken $300-500, POS and broken $100-300...leaving out mint/CQ/pinrescue restore category

#37 3 years ago

I really like Melody (Sing Along). I would love to add it to my EM collection.

By the looks of the pic, $500 would be my top offer.

#38 3 years ago

I agree with that, but I was just trying to make a point about people that always think EMs are cheap and not valuable or worth anything. Go read through the posts and threads on pinside and many people say this about them all the time or bash them for not being fun and are so slow, yet they really have no experience in playing one that is well maintained and working properly. EMs are not for everyone.

Ahhhhhhh forget it!

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

Go read through the posts and threads on pinside and many people say this about them all the time or bash them for not being fun and are so slow, yet they really have no experience in playing one that is well maintained and working properly. EMs are not for everyone.

"I played one and it was slow. They are all the same but I can't remember the name."

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

"I played one and it was slow. They are all the same but I can't remember the name."

LOL ... that sounds about right!

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

Look at :
1954 Genco two player basketball
1955 United deluxe super slugger (pitch & bat)
Many EM manakin games

While I'm not disagreeing with you regarding these particular machines, we're on a pinball forum and every EM game you presented as an example of higher dollar EM games isn't a pinball machine...

I agree that there are some higher dollar EM pinball machines and ultimately, condition and title determine value. I think it's safe to say though that in general, EM pinball machines are at the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to cost - and I'm cool with that.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

EM pinball machines are at the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to cost - and I'm cool with that.

Much lower than some are paying for those NIB shit boxes lately. Some things it is better to not ask why.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moscow, ID
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 1,000.00
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside