Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by davewtf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I hate price check threads but I just came across a TAF locally that I'm really considering and I see prices all over the place on this game. Here's the skinny on the machine.

It's a reimport with a single slot door
DMD has a line out and is outgassing and will probably need replaced
Most of the GI is out on the game.
Cabinet has a quarter sized chunk out of the head but the sides look to be an 8 of 10
The thing hand doesn't work. I'm not sure if all the parts are there or not. I didn't have time to take it apart.
Topper is there and in nice condition.
Thing flipper is cracked.
Uncle Fester hole is kind of blown out but a cliffy would cover it.
Swamp looks decent.
Mansion needs new overlay which is included.
No magnet burn that I could see.
Other than thing hand not working the game plays fantastic.

He wants me to make an offer and I know the guy pretty well. What do you guys think would be a fair price?

Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

$3500 tops maybe? Basing that on Thing motor issues and other minor problems seen and unseen.

#3 9 years ago

I was thinking $3500 to $4000. Prices are indeed all over on this game but a very very nice one usually goes between $5000-$5500 fully shopped and fully working. This one seems to have a lot of minor issues that need to be taken care of, and the DMD and Thing assembly are going to be costly.

#4 9 years ago

I didn't get a chance to examine what the issue with the thing is. It does absolutely nothing. I tried operating it in test mode and it doesn't operate. The game will play fine if you disable thing though.

I'm thinking I'd have at least 500 bucks into it between shopping it out, replacing the DMD, repairing the hand, cliffy, new head decals. Does that sound about right? I'm kind of conflicted as to if I should just be patient and try waiting for one that's working 100% for 4k bucks. They just don't seem to come around that often esp for there being 20k of them made.

#5 9 years ago

Too much dammit.

#6 9 years ago

I'd go with $3500 as well. The majority of repairs seem minor (GI, flipper, thing hand). It's cabinet and playfield damage that's most significant. A new DMD is ~$190 these days.

A few things to check (no pun intended):
The thing hand issue is likely due to wiring/cracked solder joints on the control board below the playfield (mine was). Run the thing hand test and try to locate the board (I don't have a picture handy, but you can trace the wires from the hand to the board). If you can get it to run, even just a little, make sure the motor gearing isn't wasted ... the thing motor is pricey. I don't think I've ever seen one destroyed, but it's worth checking.

GI out usually means the GI connector (I think it's J120) in the back box has toasted. New header and connector and you're good as gold. Not always, but quite common.

A new DMD is a given. A single line out usually means someone fat-fingered the display and knocked a connector pin. A careful soldering job might fix it. Smaller gauge wire to bridge the connectors helps. I've repaired 3 this way.

Look below the playfield for magnet burn. It may not show on top, but if they burned the bottom will certainly show it. Magnet burn is the kiss of death when you try to sell a TAF.

Fester hole damage is common. If it hasn't extended too far into the art you'll be fine with the cliffy. Even if it was perfect you'd be putting a cliffy on it anyway so it really wouldn't matter either way - other than having bragging rights.

Not a big fan of overlays. If you are going to use it make sure the inserts are level. An overlay over raised inserts will look crappy.

That's it ... good luck, and good choice of pins. TAF is a keeper. Only sold mine to look for a minty one.

Regards,

Brian

#7 9 years ago

I would go less like 2800-3000 you may end up dropping $1000 into the machine. (DMD, Thing, possible,cpu/mpu repair etc..) and with a worn mansion, a overlay never looks right unless it professionally done

for 43-4500 you can buy a fully working machine with minimal wear

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Gwaxt72:

I would go less like 2800-3000 you may end up dropping $1000 into the machine.

^^^^That ^^^^

#9 9 years ago

Sounds like I'm going to need to go check out the machine further and get a better estimate of the issues. I really didn't tear it apart while I was at his house since I wasn't really considering buying a machine but he told me he wanted to get rid of it cause he's getting a nicer one.

#10 9 years ago

That's a lot to fix up but all is do-able.

If you're going to go all-out, consider a new clear ramp.

One note - proper installation of the mansion overlay is not for the faint-hearted.

I would consider stripping the entire top side of the playfield and having it done by a pro, and there's not much I won't try to do myself.

http://www.flippers.be/addams_mansiondecal.html

Just something to honestly consider.

RM

#11 9 years ago

If this is a guy you know pretty well, I would offer him $3250 or $3500 and see what happens. The worst he can say is no. I would explain all the work that you're going to have to put into it, etc. In this case there is a lot of work to be done but as others have said it's all doable.

Derek

#13 9 years ago

Yeah I'd rather be $3k or less on a game that's basically pretty darn broken. $2500 would be a sweet spot for me, couldn't say no.

#14 9 years ago

dmd - $200
thing flipper - $5
cliffies ~ $50
Thing motor $100 - whole gear box+ motor $300

so about $300 - $500 just to get it functional

In Cali, even with many of those problems it would probably go for over $3500 easy, your location may change the price of this more than anything else. I'd vote to shoot for low 3000's though if possible.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

He wants me to make an offer and I know the guy pretty well.

is he your "buddy" or just an acquaintance?

edit: and where are you?

#16 9 years ago

He's my buddy. I talked to him and I think we've worked out a tentative deal. I'm going to check it out for throughly. Thanks for all the advice so far.

#17 9 years ago

28-3200

#18 9 years ago

Spot on price range. On Thing, the motor is likely bad (assuming Thing is hooked up and fuse is good) and those aren't cheap but at that price you would be good. $3500 is the absolute most you should spend!

#19 9 years ago

Thing motor assembly is available but expensive. The brass gear is another issue. Very hard to find if at all.

#20 9 years ago

I got one about two weeks ago that was posted on Craigslist near Cleveland for $4k. It was working 100% except for a DMD column out. Inserts were worn, but it was otherwise everything was in pretty good shape, and it was actually pretty clean inside and out. I'm very happy with the price I got.

The $500 you mentioned seems realistic, so $3,500 sounds like the high end of what you should go for.

#21 9 years ago

You guys are making me feel bad with your price predictions. I bought a non working for $3??? and wouldnt trade it for any other title out there.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

You guys are making me feel bad with your price predictions. I bought a non working for $3??? and wouldnt trade it for any other title out there.

Price predictions? I don't think I understand. Anyone on Pinside who suggests they can make a legitimate value based solely on pics, without seeing or playing the game in person is either insane, or has more money that they could ever spend. If you are buying from a trusted seller, then shipping and trusting pics would be much more acceptable by most looking for a specific game. I would gladly pay you 3K for your non working TAF if you can't get it working. In the last 10 years, I have seen games worth 1,000's given away for free, Whitewaters for $500, Safecrackers traded for TAF, HUO High speeds, Banazai Run's and TZ's for less than 2K, AFM and MM for 2400...

You can't call any of what ridiculousness is posted on Pinside affect what you are willing to pay (or did pay) for a game. If it affects you that badly, your are in the wrong hobby. When people stop shopping on the internet or in the phonebook for pins, they will begin to find better deals.

The true problem is that with American culture, everyone wants instant gratification. This site, pre-ordering pins, pinball as a hobby, are all no exceptions to this golden rule. Those things keep sketchy people in business and the revolving door rotates on into the pinball future.

One bigger problem is that people in the pinball hobby seem to have this unsaid fear that unless they "own a game right now", they may never actually get another chance to play (or buy) that game again (or at least on their terms).

Once you have been playing for a long time, seeing 90% of the SAME EXACT GAMES EVERY TIME you go to any show, tournament, or someone's house, you will no longer have this "fear", (probably not the right word) and you will be a lot more satisfied about what pins you own and play.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Whitewaters for $500

Man, I miss those days. I actually did buy a Whitewater for $500 fully working but dirty with a worn playfield. My first playfield swap later, I sold it. The buyer still has the game 10 years later.

#24 9 years ago

deleted - misunderstanding

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

It isn't about trying to affect what price I'm willing to pay. It's simply asking for advice as to the perceived value of the game from fellow owners. That information will allow me to draw an average value. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and will be priced accordingly. I've never owned TAF but enjoy playing it on location. I am just very particular when I pick up games and am willing to dump tons of money and time into them getting them right. Hardly any of that ends up coming back to me when I sell the game. I don't expect it to come back to me either. I do it out of love for the hobby and because repairing games is rewarding for me. I just see a huge range of prices on TAF and since people don't typically list the final sale price of the machine in FS threads, opinions are all I have to go on to make sure I don't loose my shirt on this deal.
That's a big benefit of a community, people helping people. It's asshole posts that cause the community structure to break down.

That comment was directed to dantebean, not at you. My apologies if you took it that way. I fixed the post to include his quote.

#26 9 years ago

Ahhh my apologies. I really don't like price check quotes but this game is all over the board. I'm trying to ground myself. Edited my post.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Price predictions? I don't think I understand. Anyone on Pinside who suggests they can make a legitimate value based solely on pics, without seeing or playing the game in person is either insane, or has more money that they could ever spend. If you are buying from a trusted seller, then shipping and trusting pics would be much more acceptable by most looking for a specific game. I would gladly pay you 3K for your non working TAF if you can't get it working. In the last 10 years, I have seen games worth 1,000's given away for free, Whitewaters for $500, Safecrackers traded for TAF, HUO High speeds, Banazai Run's and TZ's for less than 2K, AFM and MM for 2400...
You can't call any of what ridiculousness is posted on Pinside affect what you are willing to pay (or did pay) for a game. If it affects you that badly, your are in the wrong hobby. When people stop shopping on the internet or in the phonebook for pins, they will begin to find better deals.
The true problem is that with American culture, everyone wants instant gratification. This site, pre-ordering pins, pinball as a hobby, are all no exceptions to this golden rule. Those things keep sketchy people in business and the revolving door rotates on into the pinball future.
One bigger problem is that people in the pinball hobby seem to have this unsaid fear that unless they "own a game right now", they may never actually get another chance to play (or buy) that game again (or at least on their terms).
Once you have been playing for a long time, seeing 90% of the SAME EXACT GAMES EVERY TIME you go to any show, tournament, or someone's house, you will no longer have this "fear", (probably not the right word) and you will be a lot more satisfied about what pins you own and play.

I was just being sarcastic. Sorry, it didn't translate to text. I feel I paid fair price for it and would do it again. Other than a new playfield and a new translite, it could be a GREAT condition game. My only fear in collecting is some killer deal will slip through my fingers due to me not having the funds. I just want 6-8 games then I am done. Not all A-list but games I enjoy. I know that will take half a decade or more but I will get there.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

You guys are making me feel bad with your price predictions. I bought a non working for $3???

i just spit my chocolate milk everywhere.
ok fine, i'm lactose intolerant and dont drink milk

you paid 3 plus for a non working taf?

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

I did but put $0 in it to get it working. Took a chance and won. Now I have my grail and couldn't be happier. I didn't think I would have one for YEARS.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

I did but put $0 in it to get it working. Took a chance and won. Now I have my grail and couldn't be happier. I didn't think I would have one for YEARS.

I hope it was nice cosmetically. Mine is never leaving collection.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

He was upset when he thought he missed his chance at $3900. I told him it was no big loss at that price and people on here told me I was a cheapskate. Glad to see I I'm not the only out of touch guy on here. $3k was fine, dantebean.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

He's my buddy. I talked to him and I think we've worked out a tentative deal. I'm going to check it out for throughly. Thanks for all the advice so far.

If he's your buddy, he should give you a price or at least tell you what he's into it for to give you an idea. Just my opinion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 180.00
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-on-a-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.