Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jgentry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I'm probably going to part with my fully restored Embryon coming up but I'm not sure what is worth. The restoration was done by Keith Holbrook probably 5-6 years ago and it has been huo since being in his booth at tpf. Full cabinet restore, playfield was touched up and recleared, perfect Backglass. Game looks like new and plays 100%.

It's a pretty rare game and I was thinking it could go for at least $6500. Have I lost my mind? Cant be many restored one on the planet and 1980 bw games are in pretty high demand. What's the value range on this thing?

#2 2 years ago

The "value" on machines is what someone is willing to pay for one. Sellers can ask what ever crazy number they like but bottom line something is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. Personally I think the ceiling on early 1980's machines should have been around $4000 but that number is long gone a couple years ago? I just don't see a early 1980's machine being worth what a great System 11 title would sell for but that is just me.

#3 2 years ago

I sold one with a near perfect playfield but a pretty rough cabinet and rough backglass for $1200 about a year and 1/2 ago. think $6500 would be a sure sign you've lost your mind.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I think the ceiling on early 1980's machines should have been around $4000 but that number is long gone a couple years ago?

Long gone...

However pinsiders as a rule have never been known as the last of the big spenders.

Hate to say it though, but for me, Embryon wouldn't be one of them.

#5 2 years ago

I own one. That’s some serious cake. It’s difficult to find nice examples. I think you might be a little high on the price. I hope you get it. Reason for getting a higher price is that playfield and back glass has not been manufactured. Nice examples will sell for more.

#6 2 years ago

They only produced 2,250 Embryons, and it's a unique pin, but it's not really sought after, hence the $1,500 Pinside estimate. I think you could get $3,000 for a collector quality Embryon, but it'll have to be the right buyer and you'll have to be patient. The best place to advertise it when you're ready to sell it is the various Facebook Pinball Sell groups. If you want a list of the most popular groups, pm me.

The high demand Bally's in un-restored but nice original condition (9/10) sell for (production quantities in brackets):
Centaur $4,500-5,000 (3,700)
Centaur II $2,500 (1,550)
Medusa $3,000 (3,250)
Eight Ball Deluxe $2,500 (10,638*)
Frontier $2,500-3,000 (1,850)

*Includes the 81 and Limited versions, but not the 84 version.

#7 2 years ago

Another thing to think about is that a local collector shimoda had a really nice original Embryon for sale for $1,300. He is really well known for his ability to maintain pins and he did sell his, but I think it did take two weeks to find a buyer.

#8 2 years ago

Not sure what it is worth, but it is the nicest Embryon I have ever seen or played. I would think at least $4000. It is a beauty with perfect cabinet, playfield, everything new, etc..

I know there has been a restored one on Ebay for a long time at $4500 and it is not as nice as yours.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I sold one with a near perfect playfield but a pretty rough cabinet and rough backglass for $1200 about a year and 1/2 ago. think $6500 would be a sure sign you've lost your mind.

I've seen pretty much parts Embryons go for 1200 so I think you definitely left money on the table. Plus I've been offered 6k for this machine be 2 different people so I cant be that far off. Time will tell though. I am certain that I did lose my mind many years ago, no arguing with that.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I've seen pretty much parts Embryons go for 1200 so I think you definitely left money on the table. Plus I've been offered 6k for this machine be 2 different people so I cant be that far off. Time will tell though. I am certain that I did lose my mind many years ago, no arguing with that.

only one way to find out

#11 2 years ago

I have seen that one on e-bay in person and it’s not restored, the cab had some pretty obvious touch up and the playfield seemed very dull to me in person. It could have been the pkayfield protector though. I see it as a 2500 - 3k game at best.

Quoted from woody76:

Not sure what it is worth, but it is the nicest Embryon I have ever seen or played. I would think at least $4000. It is a beauty with perfect cabinet, playfield, everything new, etc..
I know there has been a restored one on Ebay for a long time at $4500 and it is not as nice as yours.

#12 2 years ago

I sold a pretty nice original one for around $1500 three years ago. Perhaps I left money on the table? My question is why didn’t you accept the $6k offer? I would sell it quickly before any playfields are made.

#13 2 years ago

Take the 6K and run.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

Take the 6K and run.

If someone offered me $6K for an Embryon I would grab the cash & run. I don't think you could get more than that our of one HEP did. I guess it really just depends on how bad you want to sell it.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I sold a pretty nice original one for around $1500 three years ago. Perhaps I left money on the table? My question is why didn’t you accept the $6k offer? I would sell it quickly before any playfields are made.

Didn't want to sell it, honestly I still might not. IMDN or SW may go instead or maybe both.

Quoted from Crashnburn:

Take the 6K and run.

Quoted from too-many-pins:

If someone offered me $6K for an Embryon I would grab the cash & run. I don't think you could get more than that our of one HEP did. I guess it really just depends on how bad you want to sell it.

At the time I had no desire to sell it. I've sold 3 othe 1980s restored bally in the last couple of years for the same price range. Maybe this one wont fetch close to that. The others sold almost instantly though.

#16 2 years ago

So Embyon is one of those games that rarely comes around in good condition, let alone fully restored. My experience with this situation is that typical collectors won’t pay $6500 because they can either restore one themselves or they know someone in the hobby who can help them out. A non-collector, on the other hand, just might pay the higher price because there’s just no where else to find one and they’re not aware of any other options.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I have seen that one on e-bay in person and it’s not restored, the cab had some pretty obvious touch up and the playfield seemed very dull to me in person. It could have been the pkayfield protector though. I see it as a 2500 - 3k game at best.

I figured that much. That guy has crazy prices on his games and says they are fully restored.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Long gone...
However pinsiders as a rule have never been known as the last of the big spenders.
Hate to say it though, but for me, Embryon wouldn't be one of them.

Yes, Embryon never did much for me either. OTOH, people are scooping up anything with the classic Bally logo these days.

On a side note, Embryon was the last Bally widebody, following Hotdoggin'. I guess Bally was trying to recapture the magic of Space Invaders, but no luck. By the middle of 1981, pinball was really struggling as a valid location piece and a couple of years later all of coin op was in a sharp decline.

#19 2 years ago

As an owner of an Embryon is there anyone actively looking for a restored one?
There’s a “meh” one right now for sale with no bites for 1/3 of the price you’re asking

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

As an owner of an Embryon is there anyone actively looking for a restored one?
There’s a “meh” one right now for sale with no bites for 1/3 of the price you’re asking

I dont see a ton of people posting about one. But I have already had several PM's about it and its always the most asked about game in my collection. So I guess their are a few, but cant be many.

Quoted from BrianBannon:

Yes, Embryon never did much for me either. OTOH, people are scooping up anything with the classic Bally logo these days.
On a side note, Embryon was the last Bally widebody, following Hotdoggin'. I guess Bally was trying to recapture the magic of Space Invaders, but no luck. By the middle of 1981, pinball was really struggling as a valid location piece and a couple of years later all of coin op was in a sharp decline.

Space invaders looks cool, but game play wise Embryon is tons better.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I figured that much. That guy has crazy prices on his games and says they are fully restored.

Restored on ebay = wiped down with LEDs added.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Space invaders looks cool, but game play wise Embryon is tons better.

Yes, I do prefer Embryon to Space Invaders from a game play perspective as well. The "magic" of Space Invaders was a single production run of 11,400 units. That strong run probably had everything to do with the theme and nothing to do with the size of the playfield.

With your Embryon, like anything you want to sell just be patient. Can't be that many really nice Embryons out there.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Restored on ebay = wiped down with LEDs added.

I just looked at it again, it has a playfield protector on it. I thought it was restored clear coated playfield. Overall it looks pretty good, but not $4500.

#24 2 years ago

It appears pinside may be safe from my stupidly priced Embryon for the time being. Decided to move a couple of other games instead. Thanks for the input everyone!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet Parts
Wire-Bot
$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!