View topic image gallery

IMG_1926_(Large).JPG
IMG_1925_(Large).JPG
IMG_1928_(Large).JPG
IMG_1927_(Large).JPG
Photo_Aug_06,_8_17_50_PM.jpg
IMGggg_1684.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I have a guy up the street (15 doors or so) willing to sell a Johnny Mnemonic for $800. I have a single pin (WCS 94 bought 2 years ago for $1200) and I'm interested in building my collection. I'm guessing the Power Glove matrix would be tough to fix if it's broken but he claims it's "working 100%". I'm also guessing he doesn't know much about it either way. Anyways, I'm going to check it later today. Anything I should look for and when does that price stop being a good deal?

#2 11 years ago

For $800...........Buy it now!!!!!!!!!!

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

I have a guy up the street (15 doors or so) willing to sell a Johnny Mnemonic for $800. I have a single pin (WCS 94 bought 2 years ago for $1200) and I'm interested in building my collection. I'm guessing the Power Glove matrix would be tough to fix if it's broken but he claims it's "working 100%". I'm also guessing he doesn't know much about it either way. Anyways, I'm going to check it later today. Anything I should look for and when does that price stop being a good deal?

Done deal, a no brainer unless it's blown out.

#4 11 years ago

If it works buy it before he looks up pin prices listed on eBay and triples it.

#5 11 years ago

Don't care for the game at all but for $800 that's not even a question. Gotta do it

#6 11 years ago

Fun game - a steal at $800

#7 11 years ago

As long as it works and the pf wear is tolerable grab it for that price.

#9 11 years ago

GO get it! NOW!

Johnny Mnemonic is a great game, I wish I could have got mine for $800.

I paid WAY too much for mine, at $2000, but it was at a place well known for high prices, but to be honest, it doesn't bother me that much, because JM is that fun of a game!

#10 11 years ago

I presume the fact that you have not responded means you're busy getting it / have gotten it / are now playing it....

If not, go get it now! That's OK, we'll wait....

Later,
EV

#11 11 years ago

Going to check it out either later tonight or tomorrow. Really hoping that the condition is decent and that the glove works 100%. If I do a search on JM tables it seems like everybody has had issues with their glove in the past and unfortunately, I'm not the most handy guy with maintenance on these things.

Post edited by drshaw : spelling

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

Going to check it out either later tonight or tomorrow. Really hoping that the condition is decent at that the glove works. If I do a search on JM tables it seems like everybody has had issues with their glove and unfortunately I'm not the most handy guy with these things.

Doesn't matter. For that price you could pay a tech to fix any issues you would have.

Most JM's broke pretty quickly on route, so they didn't get much play (I.E. NICE playfields!)

ENJOY!

#13 11 years ago

But it now. It's a fun game and worth twice that.

#14 11 years ago

Looking like this may not happen until the first part of next week. I'm out of town for the next few days and tonight isn't going to work.

#15 11 years ago

Cant Imagine what looks so complicated on this. IMGggg_1684.jpgIMGggg_1684.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Yea at $800 I would speed over there to pick it up. Good luck.

#17 11 years ago

If you don't pick it up someone else will or this guy will wisen up. Send someone you know with the cash to buy it now. If you don't like it sell it here for at the very least your money back.

#18 11 years ago

Back in town, planning on picking up the machine tonight. Still trying not to count my chickens but I'm pretty stoked.

#19 11 years ago

JM is in the house. $800 held up. It's in unbelievably good shape. Cabinet has zero fade and hardly any wear. Had zero errors in the test report when I picked it up. Glass was filthy and play field needed a good wax but it had no holes or fade or chips or lifts or any problems. Really, the machine is in great shape. Replaced the balls and probably 10 lamps. It seems to play 100% flawless although I'm not familiar with the table to know exactly if something is amiss. I'll probably replace the flippers, they feel a little mushy.

Quick question: In the test report now (after the move), I do get a "Check Switch F5 'Ball In Hand'". I put my fingers up the underside of the glove in the Single Switch Test and F5 always remains open even though I'm pushing in the switch inside the glove near the magnet. I haven't even looked in the manual to see if that's the switch in question though, it just seems like "ball in hand" would be that. It's weird though, because the glove behaves fine in game and doesn't drop the ball unless I tell it to or the timer runs out. Maybe I'll start another thread on how to troubleshoot it further... but again, it seems to play flawless as far as I can tell!

I feel pretty lucky to have come across this.

Photo_Aug_06,_8_17_50_PM.jpgPhoto_Aug_06,_8_17_50_PM.jpg

#20 11 years ago

Wow what a pick up, very well played. You did get lucky now enjoy that speed demon.

#21 11 years ago

Great score DrShaw, enjoy!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

Quick question: In the test report now (after the move), I do get a "Check Switch F5 'Ball In Hand'". I put my fingers up the underside of the glove in the Single Switch Test and F5 always remains open even though I'm pushing in the switch inside the glove near the magnet. I haven't even looked in the manual to see if that's the switch in question though, it just seems like "ball in hand" would be that. It's weird though, because the glove behaves fine in game and doesn't drop the ball unless I tell it to or the timer runs out. Maybe I'll start another thread on how to troubleshoot it further... but again, it seems to play flawless as far as I can tell!
I feel pretty lucky to have come across this.

It sounds like you have a break in the wires of the ball in hand switch? Are you sure it's plugged in? It could be that the previous owner disconnected it. Here's the funny thing about Johnny Mnemonic -- one of the best things you can do to make it play more reliably is to unplug, or better yet completely remove the ball in hand switch. When the switch is in there (and working), if it ever intermittently loses contact, which it very commonly does, it will drop the ball. But if the switch is pulled out completely the game compensates for it being gone and holds and drops the ball just fine. You'll have a permanent credit dot, but it's worth it!

#23 11 years ago

Wow nice JM..good deal I paid almost 2x much. Enjoy the flow which IMO is unrivaled.

#24 11 years ago

For $800 with what looks like unfaded red cabinet paint, you got beyond lucky - you were given a "treasure for a song." Down the road when you overpay for a machine and it breaks on you nearly the moment you get it home, this JM for $800 will be your "great equalizer" .

#25 11 years ago

You should be STOKED! I love my JM. The glove is relatively easy (and cheap) to fix, and you will love how fast it is. Sweet deal.

@bobbyconover- thanks for the tip, I'll keep that one in the archives for future use.

#26 11 years ago

:-] If you need a hand with fixing it, or if you would like a different set of initials on it, pm me.

#27 11 years ago

:-] If you need a hand with fixing it, or if you would like a different set of initials on it, pm me.

I might take you up on that!

A couple more pics:

IMG_1927_(Large).JPGIMG_1927_(Large).JPG IMG_1928_(Large).JPGIMG_1928_(Large).JPG IMG_1925_(Large).JPGIMG_1925_(Large).JPG IMG_1926_(Large).JPGIMG_1926_(Large).JPG

#28 11 years ago

Yeah, I have the credit dot going right now. I also found a bunch of goodies (manual, lamp kit, fuse kit, plastic sets, flipper rubbers, etc..) inside the cab. It just keeps on giving, unfortunately, I feel like I won't be able to rest easy until I get that switch figured out.

#29 11 years ago

Wow! Congrats on a great score! You're going to love the game.

As for your ball-in-hand switch issue, I'll second bobbyconver's recommendation that it might be one of the wires that's broken going to the switch. I took my JM to the MI Expo, and when I got it back, it had the same error. All I did was undo the two screws on top and removed the plastic glove, and I could see exactly where the wire had broken off the switch. Quick solder job, and I was back in business.

There are also a couple of bulletins relating to the glove/switch;

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/3683/Williams_1995_Johnny_Mnemonic_Manual_Addendum_2.pdf

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/3683/Williams_1995_Johnny_Mnemonic_Service_Bulletin_85.pdf

Enjoy!

Later,
EV

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

As for your ball-in-hand switch issue, I'll second bobbyconver's recommendation that it might be one of the wires that's broken going to the switch. I took my JM to the MI Expo, and when I got it back, it had the same error. All I did was undo the two screws on top and removed the plastic glove, and I could see exactly where the wire had broken off the switch. Quick solder job, and I was back in business.

Yep, that's exactly what appears to be the issue, one of the wire leads has been disconnected from the switch. The existing solder pad is clean and should be a quick job. My crappy soldering skills might even be able to pull it off! I need a new iron though, my $10 radio shack special takes like 25 minutes to head up and only stays hot for 1 minute. Makes for a short window. Also, thank you for the bulletin references, they'll come in handy (pun).

Now I just need to figure out the best way to approach this game. Go for multiball as soon as possible? Try and complete modes and go for Powerdown? Any tips? I've played it a dozen times and my scores have been weak.

#31 11 years ago

great score there drhsaw..... the cabinet on this game is beautiful. almost every one of these pins i've seen has that typical cabinet fade in the red area (turns light orange). the reds are gorgeous on this one. congrats my man!

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

the reds are gorgeous on this one.

Shwing....cherry

#33 11 years ago

Congrats on a FANTASTIC pickup (You have no idea how rare an actual unfaded JM is!)

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

Now I just need to figure out the best way to approach this game. Go for multiball as soon as possible? Try and complete modes and go for Powerdown? Any tips? I've played it a dozen times and my scores have been weak.

Unfortunately, the Achilles Heel of JM is the unbalanced scoring. Easy way to get really big points is do the left inlane / right ramp or right loop combo to get the "throwing spike" awards. The third of these awards is "Spinner Millions". Once you light that, just hit the spinner shot over and over, and it'll rack up a ton of points.

My normal scores are in the 3~4 bil range. My two top scores with Spinner Millions lit are over 13....

Later,
EV

#35 11 years ago

Thanks for the tip-- I still haven't looked up the rules and I'm just playing it casually based on what the playfield is highlighting. I did somehow stumble into a Frenzy mode (announced by the Rudy voice: "Frenzy" and laugh... a nice touch) where every target was 15m. Even that session was only around 2.5b though. I'm liking the discovery but eventually I'll want to start playing with a purpose.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

My normal scores are in the 3~4 bil range. My two top scores with Spinner Millions lit are over 13....

Holy Shit!

Nice!!!

Time to start playing my buddies JM for drinks!!!

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

The third of these awards is "Spinner Millions". Once you light that, just hit the spinner shot over and over, and it'll rack up a ton of points.

Don't forget the most important part -- once you get the spinner millions going, you want to get your bonus multiplier up and "hold bonus" through both the throwing spike awards and the hand grid. If you pull it off you can get billions applied to not only the ball on which you score the crazy spinner millions, but also multiple balls afterward. It's pretty ridiculous.

#38 11 years ago

Don't forget to experience midnite madness.

#39 11 years ago

Wow, $800 you scored a pretty good deal and unfaded cab too. I would have kept mine but the fade was really bugging me plus another game that I wanted came up so it had to go. Great game and those orbits are lightning fast!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 29.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-on-a-johnny-mnemonic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.