Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TomGWI
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Right now I'm looking at a Monopoly that's been HUO by a Monopoly collector (barely ever played) for the past several years, and the condition is outstanding. I've only seen a few photos of it, however I can not spot a single flaw with the game.

The game is listed for $2,500 and I don't think I'll be able to get it for much cheaper than that. The older price checks about the game were saying Monopoly sells somewhere in the $2,000 - $2,500 range. Do those values still hold true or has it changed since then?

Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

If it's as mint as you say it is, $2,500 is a fair price.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If it's as mint as you say it is, $2,500 is a fair price.

Any general points of reference for the price of Monopoly in case I notice a few flaws or such with it when I check it out in person?

Thanks for the response.

#4 9 years ago

Very fair price. If really in that condition, $3000+

#5 9 years ago

In that condition, that's a steal.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

The older price checks about the game were saying Monopoly sells somewhere in the $2,000 - $2,500 range.

Most of those prices were for games that had trashed PFs (don't know why so many of those games have such wear) or had broken parts/plastics/needed some work. If you can get a pristine Monopoly for $2500, don't think twice about it.

#7 9 years ago

#8 9 years ago

Buy it!

#9 9 years ago

Buy 2 system 11s instead

#10 9 years ago

Played this at papa. Somewhat disappointed in it. Not a huge fan of Lawlor, but gave this a fighting chance. Not my cup of tea. Too much going on on the pf AND it's a stern! Blah.

Get a nice WPC 95 pin. I loved papa's DH. Fun game.

#11 9 years ago

Have you played MONO? I love the theme, but the game is so so for me.

#12 9 years ago

I like the game but recently sold it for $2200. Not HUO, but in really nice condition, not really any flaws.

#13 9 years ago

Monopoly is a turd. Save your money. Same old tired Lawler layout trying to recapture the success of taf. Buy a taxi instead.

#14 9 years ago

Buy the Monopoly, then buy a Taxi, or every pin you come across. It's not the reward, it's the journey!

#15 9 years ago

Great price! I bought a routed one last month for $2300 and it came out ok but not HUO!

#16 9 years ago

Wow I'm surprised by all the flak Monopoly is getting. I actually love the design, gameplay, and art package. I do agree that it seems like Lawlor re-used a few elements from TAF, however that certainly is a good game to borrow from.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Wow I'm surprised by all the flak Monopoly is getting. I actually love the design, gameplay, and art package. I do agree that it seems like Lawlor re-used a few elements from TAF, however that certainly is a good game to borrow from.

Well it's obvious that some of the people giving said flak don't even like Stern games to begin with, so you have to kind of filter by bias when looking at opinions.

#18 9 years ago

I have a monopoly. It is a solid part of my collection. you will like it.

#19 9 years ago

The rules on mono are horrible. Cash grab is more lucrative than Land Grab?!?!
Jackpot values do not increase?!? Not a bad layout, but weak weak rules.

#20 9 years ago

To answer the actual question you asked...$2500 is a solid price for an HUO game, you should feel good about picking it up at that price. If you also want to know opinions on why you should feel good or bad about yourself for considering buying one....well, no need to ask, you have quite a few of those already here!

#21 9 years ago

That's a great price and if you like the pin, layout etc... buy it! All that matters is what your going to want to play tomorrow, not what others think. I could apply this to many other Stern pins as well. Have fun, good pin!~SpOoKy

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

The rules on mono are horrible. Cash grab is more lucrative than Land Grab?!?!
Jackpot values do not increase?!? Not a bad layout, but weak weak rules.

Horrible? No, they're not horrible. That's a can't-take-it-back classification. I'll fully spot that the software for Monopoly is pretty *weak*, and your citations are very good reasons why, in addition to others.

What it really needed, as you plainly alluded to, was *more*. More strategy, more/deeper rule paths, more reason-for-being. It seems that a lot of time was spent on things that are hardly even a part of play (Free Parking multiball and the other Chance-awarded multiballs, for example), than were devoted to Land Grab, 3-ball multiball, modes, et cetera. I mean, certain modes are almost literally pointless, while others are absolutely must-play.

There are some subtleties that I enjoy: stacking Cash Grab with a multiball is epic, if possible; the quick-shot bonus multipliers with danger (dangerous through-the-bumpers shot on the left, mini-flipper blockage on the right) if you want to light EB; the decent use of the Cop Stop Drop. It's not completely without merit, but in the end, you're right: it leaves you feeling a bit on the empty side. Not *nearly* as empty as playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, though.

And that's part of the problem, isn't it? Pat's games for Stern are pretty much across-the-board lower than the standard he had at WMS. Family Guy being the undebatable best machine he had for Stern, it's still not anywhere close to the upper echelon he had in his WMS days. Most are *far below* that standard, and Monopoly fits the bill to some degree, but not as close as RCT, CSI, and perhaps Ripley's and NASCAR do.

It's pretty disturbing when the succeeding game is far, far worse than its predecessor, which is the case with Monopoly and RCT.

1 week later
#23 9 years ago

Just for reference the game ended up selling before I could get out there, and it sold to a local buyer via Craigslist for $2,900.

#24 9 years ago

$2,900 was what I paid for mine. It was HUO and in very good condition.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Just for reference the game ended up selling before I could get out there, and it sold to a local buyer via Craigslist for $2,900.

To put things into perspective, the buyer could have bought a NIB IM, ST, MET or TWD for $1600ish more delivered. Just sayin.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Thanks for that update. I have a HUO that I'm thinking about asking $2750 for and it looks like I'm in the ballpark with that.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Just for reference the game ended up selling before I could get out there, and it sold to a local buyer via Craigslist for $2,900

It is for the best. Now go drown your sorrows at Crocker Park.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

To put things into perspective, the buyer could have bought a NIB IM, ST, MET or TWD for $1600ish more delivered. Just sayin.

Good point, I was really into thinking about Monopoly I stopped thinking about how it wouldn't be too much extra to buy a NIB game. I may just start saving up for a Star Trek while those are still available NIB.

Quoted from lost8ball:

Thanks for that update. I have a HUO that I'm thinking about asking $2750 for and it looks like I'm in the ballpark with that.

Sounds like a fair price, you should certainly get a sale there. I'll definitely be back looking for a HUO Monopoly later because I love the game, and $2,750 seems like something I'd pay.

Quoted from captainadam_21:

It is for the best. Now go drown your sorrows at Crocker Park.

Wait you're in South Dakota and still know about that place? I didn't know it was that big of a deal.

#29 9 years ago

One of the worst pins I've played. Party animal being the worst.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Wait you're in South Dakota and still know about that place? I didn't know it was that big of a deal

I lived in the Cleveland metro area for 6 years. My wife is from Avon Lake. We went to Crocker Park many times. Legacy Village is better though.

#31 9 years ago

If you really want a nice HUO Monopoly, PM me.

I bought my game new and set it up 12 years ago or whatever. Played a few games, saucer stopped ejecting. Never bothered to fix, dropped out of the hobby. Fast forward to a couple months ago - finished the basement, set Monopoly back up, fixed the saucer. Probably had less than 100 plays on it, certainly less than 200.

My wife didn't even realize we had Monopoly in the lineup, so it's not high on the must keep list.

#32 9 years ago

I enjoy Monopoly mostly because it is not a traditional Fan layout like a lot of modern games. It's not the deepest game but has lot of shots packed into it. I think of it as a cross between Whirlwind & TAF (2 games I enjoy). I agree with boagman's review about the software and a lot of random/chance multiballs and agree it is a lot of fun stacking cash grab with the main Multiball. It's not for everyone though and I get that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-monopoly-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.