By Dbaum88

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 10 years ago

So, I know the story of the Marilyn Monroe version of Taxi...how it was replaced and that the Marilyn Taxi may be more scarce.

Does anyone know if there is extra value for owning a Marilyn Taxi, as opposed to a Lola Taxi? Are they more scarce and therefore worth more?

Thanks all.....

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

So, I know the story of the Marilyn Monroe version of Taxi...how it was replaced and that the Marilyn Taxi may be more scarce.

I thought I read in a different thread that, despite popular belief, the Lola's are actually more rare.

#3 10 years ago

That's what I thought! I was seeking confirmation because I thought so too.

The seller was telling me the story like I was a noob and I told him it was the reverse but an "expert" told him that so he did not believe me.

Is there any price difference between the two?

#4 10 years ago

From Pinball Database:

"According to Mark Ritchie, as explained in the book The Pinball Compendium 1982 to Present, at least 200 sample games were in the process of being shipped with 'Marilyn' before the change had to be made. He also explained the name 'Lola' was taken from a 1970s song about a transvestite, chosen to befit her muscular arms as depicted on the backglass."

At least 200 could be 2500...

For the record mine is a Marylin so I like it better.

#5 10 years ago

There is a cool website that tracks machines by serial #, although they are logged by owners so only a sampling of machines made. If you click on the Game traits tab, you can see that many users show whether their Taxi it is a Marilyn or Lola version. It looks close to half and half from what I see. Here is the site:

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=2505

#6 10 years ago

Even if Lola is indeed rarer, it's likely that Marilyn is still more desirable. She is, after all, one of the most iconic celebrities in American history.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Even if Lola is indeed rarer, it's likely that Marilyn is still more desirable. She is, after all, one of the most iconic celebrities in American history.

Agreed. She fits more with the lineup of celebrities in the game than the more generic "Lola" as well. I heard somewhere that there may even be a few machines with the Lola graphics on both translite and playfield but the display still says Marylin.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I thought I read in a different thread that, despite popular belief, the Lola's are actually more rare.

That may end up being the case if a bunch of folks are swapping their Lolas for new CPR Marilyn playfields and backglasses.

BTW, Dave I have an original Marilyn that I'm thinking about getting rid of. Lemme know if there's any interest.

#9 10 years ago

You may see more Marilyn for sale in the us since they were the early release.

Once production ramps up they ship a sh#t ton oversees and those hardly come back or show up for sale.

From what I understand there are less than 5% max are Marilyn, its documented pretty widely. just for now those come up for sale more often.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from ThePinCollector:

You may see more Marilyn for sale in the us since they were the early release.Once production ramps up they ship a sh#t ton oversees and those hardly come back or show up for sale.From what I understand there are less than 5% max are Marilyn, its documented pretty widely. just for now those come up for sale more often.

I think the "documentation" was less factual and more downplaying the potential legal issue of using Marilyn's name. If you check out the serial # database info, it suggests that over 1,000 Marilyn models were made for the US and over 1,000 were shipped internationally. Quantity produced is unknown, but if the serial #s are sequential (which is not always the case) then over 8,400 total were produced. I would estimate at least 25% of Taxi machines were Marilyn models, and it could be more.

I'll post to the Taxi owner's club and ask them to add their machines to the database, and maybe with more data we can get a clearer answer to this age old question! The database is here:

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

I think the "documentation" was less factual and more downplaying the potential legal issue of using Marilyn's name. If you check out the serial # database info, it suggests that over 1,000 Marilyn models were made for the US and over 1,000 were shipped internationally. Quantity produced is unknown, but if the serial #s are sequential (which is not always the case) then over 8,400 total were produced. I would estimate at least 25% of Taxi machines were Marilyn models, and it could be more.
I'll post to the Taxi owner's club and ask them to add their machines to the database, and maybe with more data we can get a clearer answer to this age old question! The database is here:

Yeah your probably right. I did not think that Williams could down play it and would most likely have to avoid paying licenses to the already released ones, etc.

#12 10 years ago

Regardless of which is more rare, I am in the crowd that prefers the Marilyn model. The only comment that I have to add is that it is often ridiculous how much people try to get for Marilyn versions. At the most, a couple hundred up charge for a comparable condition model is reasonable, after that - walk.

#13 10 years ago

I've seen more marilyns than lolas.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Regardless of which is more rare, I am in the crowd that prefers the Marilyn model. The only comment that I have to add is that it is often ridiculous how much people try to get for Marilyn versions. At the most, a couple hundred up charge for a comparable condition model is reasonable, after that - walk.

Totally agree. When I see ads that say "Rare" I move on since no one needs to use that. If it is indeed rare (does not have to be pinball machines) the buyer knows its"Rare" in the title does more harm than good as its a red flag.

But Yeah Marilyn versions are cooler since the backglass is all stars and Lola does not fit.

#15 10 years ago

As a dealer, I have had around 15 of them and few have been Marilyn models. I agree with another poster that suggests a $200 premium. I don't really understand all the hype, the games play the same, but get the one you want by all means! A fun game for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 22.50
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-marilyn-monroe-taxi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.