Price Check: LOTR LE/SM red or black/IJ

By Beyndtstng

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I rarely see this pin (LOTR) for sale in the marketplace. What does it normally go for? Have a friend who is interested in purchasing it.

#2 8 years ago

To be honest I would direct your friend towards the original run which goes a lot cheaper And has the original figures on the pf. The Le gold armour and backglass isn't worth the substancial extra coin and no factory pf figurines. Unless he wants to pay for the exclusivity of it which is a bunch of bs when your playing it as the game is identical.

#3 8 years ago

^^^Agree 100%. Plenty of nice original ones out there. Get some chestnut brass plated armor and use the extra money towards another pin.

#4 8 years ago

I sold my last year for 8k

#5 8 years ago

Plus, the old man's sick on the LE. Not for me

#6 8 years ago

So the playfield is the same? This is her first pin so she is looking for some advice. Budget is 7k. Enjoys SM and IJ. Neither one of us are experienced with working on pins so I advised her to buy new. Thoughts?

What would be a good price for the standard LOTR?

Thanks

#7 8 years ago

LE is the way to go if you ask me, newer playfield with more clearcoat and easy install (Bolt in) shaker if it doesn't already have one. I've played one and the balrog hits with the shaker are great. The figures can be added. I don't currently own a LOTR but have had 2 of them in the past, and if I buy another it will be an LE. The real screened backglass is very nice also (save the HD jokes unless you are in grade school).

I know of one locally that sold for $7K, it was barely used though (like a NIB). And you're right, I don't see them come up for sale very often.

#8 8 years ago

I had both the standard sold for 5500 and LE 8k

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

So the playfield is the same? This is her first pin so she is looking for some advice. Budget is 7k. Enjoys SM and IJ. Neither one of us are experienced with working on pins so I advised her to buy new. Thoughts?
What would be a good price for the standard LOTR?
Thanks

For a nice home use only LOTR with no mods or LED's I would say around $5400-$5700. Routed but in good shape maybe $4k-$4500. Condition is king when it comes to determining a price so it depends on how the game looks. A LOTR in the $5400-$5700 range should have no wear around the flipper buttons, the cabinet should be in excellent condition, the shooter lane should not be heavily worn, and the Shire + kickout shot should not have a lot of wear.

I sold my mint HUO LOTR a couple years ago (should not have sold it!) for $5700. The game had a few small mods on it and included a new replacement plastic kit.

#10 8 years ago

Thank you for the info. She played the LE at a local person's house and really enjoyed it. I assumed it had distinct playfield differences over the standard. Does a restored IJ go for under 7k or a black Spider-Man?

#11 8 years ago

The LOTR LE has a very nice playfield with much more clearcoat than you see on a non-LE. It also has the ability to bolt-in a shaker (some came from the factory with a shaker like mine did). The non-LE requires some hacking to get a shaker to work, but it can be done.

I just listed my LOTR LE in the Market if anyone is interested... It's a very nice sample of the game for those that are picky!

#12 8 years ago

Don't go for a black Spider-Man or LOTR LE. Same playfield & gameplay with some added bling/art on the LE. Get a nicely modded HUO SM for around$5K and be done with it. Or nice HUO LOTR for around $5K both great pins. Whole LE thing is overatted especially when gameplay is 100% the same IMO.

Adding a shaker on base model is not all that tough. Just ask for help if needed.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Thank you for the info. She played the LE at a local person's house and really enjoyed it. I assumed it had distinct playfield differences over the standard. Does a restored IJ go for under 7k or a black Spider-Man?

No there are no differences in the lotr game play from model to model. Also no you can not get a correctly restored ij for under 7 nor can you get a black sm. You sld just get a regular lotr or get a smve if you want a brand new pin for under 7k with warranty.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

To be honest I would direct your friend towards the original run which goes a lot cheaper And has the original figures on the pf. The Le gold armour and backglass isn't worth the substancial extra coin and no factory pf figurines. Unless he wants to pay for the exclusivity of it which is a bunch of bs when your playing it as the game is identical.

Exclusivity is not "BS" when we're talking about pins and the pinball community! While it may not be for everyone, some of the LE's are hard to find and since they are exclusive, bring a higher price tag (AC/DC Back in Black/Luci, Tron LE, LOTR LE, for example). Sure it's the same playfield, but there is a difference to a pinball collector- sometimes a BIG difference.

In my experiences, if you buy nice machines (or LE's), you tend to get your money back when you sell the game (IE, if you pay more for an LE, it will maintain it's value on level with the non-le).

My advice? Buy nice machines if you can afford them. If you don't care and just want quantity, buy routed or more heavily used games and just be happy to be playing pinball.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Exclusivity is not "BS" when we're talking about pins and the pinball community! While it may not be for everyone, some of the LE's are hard to find and since they are exclusive, bring a higher price tag (AC/DC Back in Black/Luci, Tron LE, LOTR LE, for example). Sure it's the same playfield, but there is a difference to a pinball collector- sometimes a BIG difference.
In my experiences, if you buy nice machines (or LE's), you tend to get your money back when you sell the game (IE, if you pay more for an LE, it will maintain it's value on level with the non-le).
My advice? Buy nice machines if you can afford them. If you don't care and just want quantity, buy routed or more heavily used games and just be happy to be playing pinball.

Wow!

#16 8 years ago

Yes all the LE u will get your money back out of them for sure and they are nicer all around too look at if the price is right but they are the same game play enjoy

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-lotr-le-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.