Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by aalucero
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4216-602.JPG
IMG_4218-23.JPG
IMG_4219-925.JPG
IMG_4217-718.JPG
IMG_4213-567.JPG
IMG_4215-143.JPG
IMG_4214.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Hey Guys. I'm thinking of selling my JP to make room for something else. It has a couple of broken plastics, but is in otherwise great shape and plays 100%. Also full LED, new flippers, new glass, cleaned, waxed, typical wear around the holes, etc.. What are these machines going for realistically? I see prices all over the place.

IMG_4213-567.JPG
IMG_4214.JPGIMG_4215-143.JPGIMG_4217-718.JPGIMG_4218-23.JPGIMG_4219-925.JPGIMG_4216-602.JPG

#3 5 years ago

We retail them for around $2500 so if you are a private party I would agree with the above posters price of around $2K...try starting at $2300 on your local Craigs List and go from there. GLWS.

#4 5 years ago

Those blue LEDs might hurt the value. Maybe go back to the original color?

#5 5 years ago

$1800-2200. The broken plastics are gonna be your biggest issue. Not uncommon to see, but also pretty difficult to fix. I dunno if CPR is seriously going to make new ones, it was a title on one of their asset wishlists though. That might not mean anything, but they'd probably sell a ton if they did them.

If the new code comes out any time soon (seems like it's at least close to done, no idea beyond that) it could only help the value IMHO.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Those blue LEDs might hurt the value. Maybe go back to the original color?

yeah color should be greens and ambers.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

$1800-2200. The broken plastics are gonna be your biggest issue. Not uncommon to see, but also pretty difficult to fix. I dunno if CPR is seriously going to make new ones, it was a title on one of their asset wishlists though. That might not mean anything, but they'd probably sell a ton if they did them.
If the new code comes out any time soon (seems like it's at least close to done, no idea beyond that) it could only help the value IMHO.

Agreed, the new code will help this title a bit in the market I think. CPR apparently acquired a donor set of plastics as it is off of their asset list now. So hopefully sometime in the next decade we will see repro plastics.

#8 5 years ago

I personally like what you did with the colors. That being said I think you should have no problem selling it for $2200. I would be all over it if I had the room GLWS

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from aalucero:

That being said I think you should have no problem selling it for $2200

No way. I'll bet you a $10 donation to pinside if he lists it at $2200 firm he'll have trouble selling it. What is your definition of "no problem"? 3 days?

#10 5 years ago

No way. I'll bet you a $10 donation to pinside if he lists it at $2200 firm he'll have trouble selling it. What is your definition of "no problem"? 3 days?

Oh hey I was just thinking of people like me who want a JP. This is just my opinion. I was thinking like 4 days

#11 5 years ago

JP is a kickass game. It seems to have a stigma that keeps the price down.

#12 5 years ago

I am interested in picking up a JP. I would pay for shipping if the price is right.

#13 5 years ago

I have a HUO in perfect condition with zero wear, zero broken plastics and zero issues. listed it today for $2800 and already have a few bites. great game and at $220 and the new code, it should move quickly.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

$220 and the new code, it should move quickly

No it won't. There is a huge difference between a perfect HUO machine and this machine. No offense to the seller because it looks nice. It also appear to not have the topper. Which goes for $200 on ebay.

eBay is the home of crazy prices and none of sold for over $1800 in the past few months.

Best bet is list it at $2000 and take the first $1800 that comes along. Maybe he can find someone to pay more since he lives in KC but it will take a lot of work. And is it really worth the extra $200?

#15 5 years ago

Thanks for all of the input. The prices you all gave hover around what I thought.

It also appear to not have the topper. Which goes for $200 on ebay.

I do have the topper. The ceiling in my basement is just too low to put it on.

I'll put it up on Craiglist and let you all know how it goes. Thanks!

#16 5 years ago

The last one for sale in my area started at 2300 and finally sold 2 months later for 1900. And that was about a month ago when it sold.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

I do have the topper. The ceiling in my basement is just too low to put it on

I wondered when I was selling my JP if it would make more financial sense to sell the topper separately. You can get $200 on ebay but on the machine I don't think it adds $200 value.

#18 5 years ago

Best bet is list it at $2000 and take the first $1800 that comes along. Maybe he can find someone to pay more since he lives in KC but it will take a lot of work. And is it really worth the extra $200?

Those idiots in KC will overpay for anything!

#19 5 years ago

The T-Rex scoop looks really nice, and the bunker and control room scoops look pretty good (minor wear but better than most JPs).

#20 5 years ago

I own one, so take this with a grain of salt those of you that want to price police, but...

JP is all about the hole wear. If your C hole and A hole are blown out, you'll get much less money for the game then if they are nice looking. I've seen C and A holes that are so blown out the ball coming out of the pops will change trajectory and sometimes just slip into one or the other. Because of that, people that have holes with little wear can get a lot of money for them.

And yes, I realize you can read that with a dirty mind and giggle, and if you just did that, you're welcome. But I'm also serious.

I have a NICE Jurassic Park. It has almost no hole wear. The last time I had it out and about, I had people offer me $3k for it because of how nice it was, and I turned them down. And, this was back when you could pick up a Jurassic Park easily for $1,000.

With the hole wear that you have, I would start at a higher price point. That's not typical wear, it's minor wear. If you don't need to sell it, I'd start closer to $2500 or even a bit higher than that, and work your way backwards. It might take you a while to sell, but you'll get more for it in the end. If you need to sell it now, a price of $2kish and it will walk out the door within a week I would guess.

That's a very nice example of a game that picked up a ton of wear in the field. Good luck with it. I wouldn't (and didn't!) sell mine for $3k! New code is going to be great too, and should give it another little push.

#21 5 years ago

It's Data East, $1,500-$2k.. If you get lucky you'll get $2,400-$2,600, but it will take time.. GLWS!

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

If your C hole and A hole are blown out, you'll get much less money for the game then if they are nice looking. I've seen C and A holes that are so blown out the ball coming out of the pops will change trajectory and sometimes just slip into one or the other. Because of that, people that have holes with little wear can get a lot of money for them.

That is freakin hilarious. Great work

#23 5 years ago

Prices are all over the place, I've seen JP sell for 3000 in our area last year (was their first pin) and a month ago I know someone that bought one for 2500 (their first pin too). I paid 2500 for mine two years ago (my first pin... see a pattern lol?).

Fortunately it has a great theme, so you're market isn't limited just to pinheads. Unfortunately the price isn't fixed so most times you end up rolling the dice if you have to sell it.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

If your C hole and A hole are blown out, you'll get much less money for the game then if they are nice looking. I've seen C and A holes that are so blown out the ball coming out of the pops will change trajectory and sometimes just slip into one or the other.

Thank god this is a pinball forum.....someone, somewhere is going to get this as a google search result and just be like. UHHHHH....

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

That is freakin hilarious. Great work

I'm glad someone noticed

What I find particularly funny about it is that it's also 100% appropriate to the context of the discussion and the game. The OP clearly has some holes that have been taken care of.

#26 5 years ago

Why are you guys ignoring the poor S hole? Does your S hole not take as much abuse?

#27 5 years ago

The S hole is too tight so I prefer reaching around the O then making a quick entry into the A hole.

#28 5 years ago

Everyone saying 2500$ makes me smile (in Canadian mine is like 4K then)!
In all honesty, I think $2500 for your machine is totally fair. I have no favourites between DE, Bally, Williams, Stern - I am not a fanboy in the least.
JP sometimes can play a little klunky (?), but IMO it is a very underrated game. I think the rules are great for beginners and novices (perhaps easy for the pro - which I am not). The ball-eating Dino is one of the greatest toys in pinball. The new code being worked on is only going to improve the quality of gameplay. The music is stellar - especially through an external sub, and the theme is timeless for children and adults alike.
So far, I have found that it is one of the most fun games out there to Mod!! Soooo much you can do with this machine. There are some sellers with great ideas on the market and others that are working on some BIG cosmetic changes!
It was my first pin too....there are better games out there, but for sentimental reasons, JP will never leave my stable!
Good luck with your sale.

#29 5 years ago

My GF's A&C holes are hogged right out after this past weekend, so much that my balls changed trajectory a few times

#30 5 years ago

Or maybe you just have really small balls.....?

#31 5 years ago

I don't know the market difference between the ops location, your location and mine, but I believe he can get at least $2,000 for it. I have not lost more than $100 on a used pin over 6 years and 50 pins (back story for reference). I bought a JP needing a shop job that was in a home for 15 years for 2k. It is my second JP. the first one I bought about 5 years ago for $1,200 and it was a rough example. I sold that one for $ 1,200 quick.

My quest was to one day find a nice one. Do the math, find a beat to death working JP for $1,200 then spend the time and money to make it look like this one. Hmmm, I had no problem dropping 2k on one that needed a shop job, but was really nice otherwise. My game might be in a bit better shape, its hard to tell from the pics.

Why do so many people insist games need to sell in under a week anyway?

#32 5 years ago

OP that thing looks great, wait for the new code and keep the JP.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

It's Data East, $1,500-$2k.. If you get lucky you'll get $2,400-$2,600, but it will take time.. GLWS!

I'm fairly new here, but why does DE/Sega get no love? To me, they represent great value over Bally/WPC. Are they less reliable or something?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from derek533:

I'm fairly new here, but why does DE/Sega get no love? To me, they represent great value over Bally/WPC. Are they less reliable or something?

Because they don't play as well, and have just the worst art ever. Newman's fingers in the first pic for reference.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Newman's fingers in the first pic for reference.

This right here! Love the cabinet design on Jurassic Park, but the playfield characters are hideous.

#36 5 years ago

Was it you TheLaw that posted the self-aggrandising promo video of the DE artist once? Hilarious, and totally explains why DE artwork is so universally bad. I can't find it, though.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Because they don't play as well, and have just the worst art ever. Newman's fingers in the first pic for reference.

While I tend to agree, I much prefer JPs art over most of Sterns art on their top games, including LOTR, and I own both.
Its comic book art(ish) or gesture drawing(ish) I like that over bad photo shop. Give me Data east drawn art over real photos pixelated every time. Don't get me wrong though, the artist on LOTR is awesome, I just would much prefer that he drew it himself over the photo process, and the printing process that pixelates it. I am sure they do the art that way now because of cost and licensing issues.

Quoted from accidental:

Was it you TheLaw that posted the self-aggrandising promo video of the DE artist once? Hilarious, and totally explains why DE artwork is so universally bad. I can't find it, though.

Please don't post the video of the artist, Its hard to look at my game now after watching the video of that guy....uggg.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

i find the DE art not too bad.. i have one DE game and would not mind owning a bunch of others.

GLWS!!

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I don't know the market difference between the ops location, your location and mine, but I believe he can get at least $2,000 for it

I did not say he couldn't get $2000 for it. I said the people claiming he could get $2200 "quickly" and with "no problem" are incorrect. I believe if he is patient he can probably get $2000 but he won't have people lining up around the block in a matter of minutes at $2200.

#40 5 years ago

I did not say he couldn't get $2000 for it. I said the people claiming he could get $2200 "quickly" and with "no problem" are incorrect. I believe if he is patient he can probably get $2000 but he won't have people lining up around the block in a matter of minutes at $2200.

I think it was my fault for saying "no problem" It was viewed as me saying that there would be a mad scramble to hadn over the cash. "no problem" to me means that if he wants $2200 he can get it. Captain misunderstood.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

While I tend to agree, I much prefer JPs art over most of Sterns art on their top games, including LOTR, and I own both.

That's a fair point. LOTR I don't even think aboot how the PF looks...I just think green and brown mixed together...very boring. Ironman equally boring but at least brighter. I can see the angle that eventhough the drawings are horrible, at least they have a general art theme

Quoted from accidental:

Was it you TheLaw that posted the self-aggrandising promo video of the DE artist once?

No not me I just enjoyed it like everyone else. In his defense, he was kind of a big deal back then

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't think that DE games play any worse, I think that it is a hang over of the ops opinions of them from back in the day, much like a lot of the stuff in our hobby is still ultimately based on ops from the 90s... (and indirectly, players in the 90s actions)

DE games were known for making good coin but not being very reliable. From what I was told, they made the best coin for a while, but had a bunch of issues during that time. JP is a perfect example of it - the code was updated for the T-Rex movement a whole bunch, there were service bulletins for the A-hole's switch diode, and because of this JP might be out there earning great but costing the op five service calls a week.

B/W games needed to be dialed in, but then generally held up well and earned solidly.

Gottlieb games were built like tanks, but earned the least of the three manufacturers.

Because of this, ops were more willing to sell DE games cheaper back in the day, and people remember the DE titles less than the big B/W games that lasted on route for years because of it. I know of a bunch of B/W games still on route, but basically no DE titles. the perception was that the DE games weren't as good, and that lingers.

The only thing that does drive me nuts about DE games is that their modes are ridiculously similar. I had JP and Tommy side by side for a while, and although they are both great games, it started driving me nuts how similar Tommy played, so I swapped it out for a different game. It seems like almost all DE DMD games are like that - JP, Tommy, TFTC and WWFRR, all games that I own, all with wildly different playfields, all have rather similar rules. In a smaller collection, I wouldn't need all four - I'd pick my favorite playfield and keep it around.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't feel that the DE games play any more "clunky" then anything else - for that trophy, play my JD or Popeye - and I've had far more problems maintaining my B/W titles then my DE ones so far, but I chalk that up to luck, not anything to do with the manufacturer.

Oh, and DE pops suck, I've detailed before that you should swap the spoons out to Williams ones as that does make them about fifty times more responsive. That is the one design thing that I do think holds them back. That, and the fuse clips, but that's a pretty small deal.

#43 5 years ago

Good thoughts dan.

Another aspect to it is that, because of their perception, DE games don't tend to get the kind of love and attention that B/W games do. So they are less likely to be shopped/rebuilt/dialed-in and so most people play average examples, which help form an overall poor impression of the brand.

A shopped/rebuilt/dialed-in DE plays just as well as a B/W with the same treatment IMO.

I've played 4 or 5 other JPs and none of them played as well as mine. Anyone who had played those examples would come away with an inaccurate opinion of the game that, unfortunately, confirms the biases towards DE.

#44 5 years ago

I loved my STAR WARS one of Borg's best games. I just want to know the Genius was that came up with the Idea to staple the GI sockets to a braid in the playfield.

#45 5 years ago

Right - For 90s games, we buy games that we remember and loved, not that we think might have been cool. By not having the machines on route as long, it's exactly like you say - B/W games get the restoration treatments, and DE games are generally just the game you get cheap and set up.

Sega games suffer from often half thought out rule sets. They are usually great once you have played them for a while and you understand the deep strategy that is involved, but the surface just sucks and leaves you with a bad first impression. I managed an arcade for a year that had a Viper Night Drivin' and I *hated* it. Two or three years later, a friend told me he loved it and explained why, and in doing so explained the rules. It's now one of my top three games... but the first impression, yeeech.

A shopped, dialed in DE game plays absolutely fine, and once all of the details are figured out with getting them running, they are reliable too.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The only thing that does drive me nuts about DE games is that their modes are ridiculously similar.

I agree. I have a LAH right next to my JP. JP is basically the same game without all of the additional features that LAH has. That's why I'm getting rid of the JP and looking for something else.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I don't think that DE games play any worse, I think that it is a hang over of the ops opinions of them from back in the day, much like a lot of the stuff in our hobby is still ultimately based on ops from the 90s... (and indirectly, players in the 90s actions)

Respect your opinion.
I played a lot of them when they were new and I think they play much worse, are designed much worse, and look MUCH worse. My opinions of them aren't based on the flavor of these days but experience.
I think a lot of them are great fun, and will play them when I see them and have fun. I mean...they're better than Sega machines.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from aalucero:

Captain misunderstood

If he wants $2200 and it takes him 3 months to get it, how is that "no problem". No problem means it will sell fast and for the price he wants. The market is softer than you think. I am curious what the end result will be for this machine. It should be sold by now if it was as easy as everyone told him it would be.

#49 5 years ago

It should be sold by now if it was as easy as everyone told him it would be.

I haven't put it up for sale yet. I'm waiting to find a replacement before I do that. I'll let the forum know when I put it up and when it sells.

#50 5 years ago

If he wants $2200 and it takes him 3 months to get it, how is that "no problem". No problem means it will sell fast and for the price he wants. The market is softer than you think. I am curious what the end result will be for this machine. It should be sold by now if it was as easy as everyone told him it would be.

I try and try not to get into these kind of arguments on forums but I think you need to realize that I said that when I say "no problem" it means something totally different to me than it does to you. However I think the OP's question has been answered and the back and forth over a $200 difference and misunderstanding of verbage has caused this topic to go off course. GLWS OP wish I was in the market right now.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside