2-3-15 download 096.jpg
2-3-15 download 095.jpg
2-3-15 download 093.jpg
2-3-15 download 092.jpg
2-3-15 download 091.jpg
2-3-15 download 090.jpg
2-3-15 download 089.jpg
2-3-15 download 088.jpg
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

I'm going to part with my FT pretty soon and I'd like ya'lls opinions on what's a fair price. It's a documented home use only game and I have paperwork backing this up. It was a promotional giveaway from a radio station back in early 90's. It's beautiful and plays like new. Better than new actually, because I bought ACDC and Avengers LE NIB and it plays better - tighter, smoother, cleaner, pick your word - than those and any other Stern Ive owned. When you play this game you understand the Williams snobbery.

Its not flawless, one broken plastic (the long thin one at the right base of the boat ramp) and the boat plastic itself is minutely chipped off by the bottom screws (not noticeable unless looking) and I have plastic protectors installed there (and else where per the pinbits kit). The playfield is immaculate, shooter lane nearly perfect, no fade on cabinet (although there's a weird, small palm frond pattern on the left side that looks intentional/stock but could be a light fade?). I tore down the top, cleaned and waxed to high shine tumbled every piece of metal, regrained ball guides etc. The wiring and connectors on this game are remarkable. Look like they were manufactured yesterday. Coin door looks new. Inside of cabinet very clean. This game screams out "I was never routed".

I believe everything's original. The boards are all original but have their serial numbers scratched out, and the UPC code on the playfield is missing. I believe this is due to the radio station give-away. I have original DMD board but it went out and I replaced with new Rottendog.

Has working topper. I've LED'ed the game and it looks magnificent. I also added the full color DMD.

For anyone that places a premium on exceptional, original unrestored games, then this is your FT.

How should I price this thing?

#2 9 years ago

With there being so few of these in great shape I would start in the low 4's and see if there is a buyer.

#3 9 years ago

Low 4's seems outrageous but somewhere in the 3's seems doable. A gentleman I buy pins from has a very similar HUO documented FT and has had it at 3600 on mrpinball for a long time with no sale yet.

#4 9 years ago

Lets see some pics?

#5 9 years ago

I still have standing offers of 6k on mine, which is also better than new condition but not original since mine is restored to better than new condition with powder, clearcoated pf, etc...

If it really is an udfaded HUO example that is perfect then there is a small market of accurate sale price as very few people are collectors of true top end. 5k is the bottom end of what almost any low play HUO verified B/W classic sells for. That said, you will need to make it 100% and replace any broken plastics and preferrably fix the origial DMD driver by a pro and reinstall it. The guys collecting true gem HUO games typically want all original.

You will also want to wait it out to find the right buyer. You may want to contact some of the high end dealers to see if they have any customers looking.

If I was buying I would tell you 3k. Reality is 5kish should be relatively easy to find, but would need pictures for real proof of condition (actually would need to see in person for real proof).

#6 9 years ago

All that gibberish and no pics. You should get into sales, or are you already?

#7 9 years ago

Im thinking between 4 and 4500 and will have to find the perfect buyer that really cares about that kind of history and rarity for a game of this condition . Most people are very happy with a great playing semi faded cab ft for half the price . However I for one like pins like that and have a tz and a jd in similar condition so when you decide on a price pm me as I may be interested glws

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Im thinking between 4 and 4500 and will have to find the perfect buyer that really cares about that kind of history and rarity for a game of this condition . Most people are very happy with a great playing semi faded cab ft for half the price . However I for one like pins like that and have a tz and a jd in similar condition so when you decide on a price pm me as I may be interested glws

Thanks. And thanks to everyone that's chimed in thus far. I TOTALLY agree with you that bang for buck players conditioned games are awesome. I must say however, that when you own a game like this it's a totally different animal. There is definitely a sense of perverse pride that enters the picture when your playing a 23 year old classic Williams game that feels like you just pulled it from a box. It's just such a rare thing. I will admit that I'm kind of a "fade" snob too. Would I own a game with a faded cabinet? Hell yes. Is the fact that this FT cab is original and unfaded with vivid and vibrant colors super cool? And does it look amazing in my home (not like a routed machine)? Hell yes!

If I had lots of space, I'd never part with it. But life's too short..and I want to own as many as I can and I just can't keep the same 5 pins forever.

#9 9 years ago

You really like Nascar better than fish tales? Theres your first mistake!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Thanks. And thanks to everyone that's chimed in thus far. I TOTALLY agree with you that bang for buck players conditioned games are awesome. I must say however, that when you own a game like this it's a totally different animal. There is definitely a sense of perverse pride that enters the picture when your playing a 23 year old classic Williams game that feels like you just pulled it from a box. It's just such a rare thing. I will admit that I'm kind of a "fade" snob too. Would I own a game with a faded cabinet? Hell yes. Is the fact that this FT cab is original and unfaded with vivid and vibrant colors super cool? And does it look amazing in my home (not like a routed machine)? Hell yes!
If I had lots of space, I'd never part with it. But life's too short..and I want to own as many as I can and I just can't keep the same 5 pins forever.

Yea I must say my tz is much the same it actually has dimples still so its barley been played and plays so nice compared to most others I have played so I agree with you and I know what I paid for it so im also going off its price when comparing to this ft . I have a fades rs and rest my pins are not so it really bothers me as I like to have the nicest possible pin I can get but cant wait to see pics of your pin

#11 9 years ago

I also only have room for 5 to 7 pins depending on if u ask me or wife lol and am in the process of rotating the stock because I wanna try to own most if not all w/b dmd error pins in my lifetime

#12 9 years ago

Keep it you will regret letting it go.

#13 9 years ago

More opinions or advice?

#14 9 years ago

I'd say about $4k.

That puts a $1500.00 (or more) premium on it for being HUO. That seems about right to me for this title.

But if you have someone who really loves FT and they really want a nice HUO version, they might be willing to pay a bit more. But that would really be a case of waiting it out to find the right buyer.

IMO

#17 9 years ago

$3500 w color DMD
$3200 w normal DMD

Imo

#18 9 years ago

I'll find my hard drive for when I tore it down and shined it up. I have alot of nice pictures, but I thought I'd reserve then for a for sale thread. I suppose it is hard to solicit an opinion without seeing the game.

#19 9 years ago

Mark will give you a fair price....if he passes p.m. me!

#20 9 years ago

I may need to just take new. I have 800 tear down pics, but can't find the finished product pics. Some handy pics lending to the "cleanliness of the object". Cab is as purchased, after 20 years in some guys basement. Didn't even take a vacuum to it at this point.

HUO FT under.jpgHUO FT under.jpgHUO FT wiring and connectors II.jpgHUO FT wiring and connectors II.jpgHUO FT wiring and connectors.jpgHUO FT wiring and connectors.jpg HUO FT in cab.jpgHUO FT in cab.jpg

#21 9 years ago

Boy that's pretty clean right there!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

$3500 w color DMD
$3200 w normal DMD
Imo

I agree with these numbers, maybe even a couple hundred less. I sold a fully restored FT that was perfect in every way in that range (and it didn't have a ColorDMD).

#23 9 years ago

Sold easily one of the nicest and cleanest HUO FTs about 3 years ago for $3500. Lost all pics thanks to John Wart Jr.

You can get a glimpse of it in the original CITPP pic though.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

$3500 w color DMD
$3200 w normal DMD
Imo

That would be about the range I would be a buyer at. No more than $3500.

#25 9 years ago

Asking and getting are two different things. While some may say a HUO FT is 5/6k, finding that rare buyer that has to have a perfect example of a "meh game" is something else.

Personally I would say a fair price would be 3.5/3.7

#26 9 years ago

FT is one of my faves. Hardly "meh" in my book

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Asking and getting are two different things. While some may say a HUO FT is 5/6k, finding that rare buyer that has to have a perfect example of a "meh game" is something else.
Personally I would say a fair price would be 3.5/3.7

I'm not going to debate anyone on price opinions, because I asked. And thanks to everyone that has provided input!

But if you're suggesting Fish Tales is a meh game than I strenuously disagree. I think FT is one of the greats. It has everything you want in a game except a deep ruleset. It's a "just one more" addicting style game with a tremendous risk reward angle and its MB is a total adrenalin rush.

#28 9 years ago

I'm not going to debate anyone on price opinions, because I asked. And thanks to everyone that has provided input!
But if you're suggesting Fish Tales is a meh game than I strenuously disagree. I think FT is one of the greats. It has everything you want in a game except a deep ruleset. It's a "just one more" addicting style game with a tremendous risk reward angle and its MB is a total adrenalin rush.

Yea its like bsd not deep rules but has that one more game going for it . Theme I like as I do roadshow but many dont which is what hurts alot of great games but ill take alll these meh games all day long as many are better than the so called a titles and people are finally starting to figure it out which sux for not so wealthy people like myself .I mean look at shadow .jd , bsd , ft, fs , congo and many others the price is creeping up to mid 2k towards 3 on many when most were under 2 . Jm and dm areeven at 2k anc little over soon onlh options for alot of us will be data east and sega and gottlieb which I just don't care for withb a few exceptions. My bsd is nice but id like a perfect one like this ft .anyway id be interested in this ft keep me in mind

#29 9 years ago

I've learned so much just by playing the machines and then deciding. I currently own two machines I used to say I'd never want to own, based on their themes: FT and Nascar. Both games are super fun and integrate their themes perfectly. Cannot underestimate perfect theme integration combined with cool layout and fun rules. It's what pinball is all about!

#30 9 years ago

Yep. Fish Tales is not intended to be deep. It was made to make money and is a tough game. The boat ramp will kill you. Lightning flippers make it that much tougher.

I've come to appreciate these type of games since I've owned Indy 500. I can love a 5 minute game as much or more than a 45 minute LOTR game.

Quicker, faster and tougher are what I'm into right now.

#31 9 years ago

Maybe i can get 4k for my FT?

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

is it as pristine as this one? maybe

#33 9 years ago

I sold this restoration in July of 2014 for $3,700.

http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/snaroff/library/FT?sort=3&page=1

I love FT and only let it go because I was moving and wanted to lighten the load.

High quality FT's with beautiful cabs/pfs are difficult to find.

Is yours still for sale? I'm missing mine...

#34 9 years ago

I believe everything's original. The boards are all original but have their serial numbers scratched out, and the UPC code on the playfield is missing. I believe this is due to the radio station give-away.

The game looks great, but I don't get why it is missing all the serial numbers. Why would the radio station scratch them off? I've never heard of anybody doing this when giving away a machine as a prize. What purpose would it serve? Do you happen to have any pics of the boards and the playfield where the serial numbers and UPC code are missing?

#35 9 years ago

4-5 Id like to see some pics too!

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

If it's nice enough maybe you can. Put it up for sale and find out. I sure wish they made these nicely clearcoated Diamond Plate playfields today. I also like the low-impact Williams style trough ball feeder that gently fees the ball into the shooter lane. I'll tell you what, based on that alone a Williams shooter lane really will tell quite a tale. If the shooter lane is filthy and beat, its seen a LOT of play. Modern Sterns fire the ball out like their angry. They'll beat up a shooter lane in a new game quick, hence all the cliffys and Mylar, etc.

2-3-15 download 061.jpg2-3-15 download 061.jpg2-3-15 download 062.jpg2-3-15 download 062.jpg2-3-15 download 063.jpg2-3-15 download 063.jpg2-3-15 download 064.jpg2-3-15 download 064.jpg

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The game looks great, but I don't get why it is missing all the serial numbers. Why would the radio station scratch them off? I've never heard of anybody doing this when giving away a machine as a prize. What purpose would it serve? Do you happen to have any pics of the boards and the playfield where the serial numbers and UPC code are missing?

yeah, I'll take pics of those. Here's the one of the upc on the playfield that's just gone. Also, on the earlier pic I posted of the underside of the playfield, I believe the part that's spray painted black might be a serial #? It's a mystery to me. Obviously some have suggested it was stolen, but by whom, the radio station?

2-3-15 download 094.jpg2-3-15 download 094.jpg

#38 9 years ago

yeah, I'll take pics of those. Here's the one of the upc on the playfield that's just gone. Also, on the earlier pic I posted of the underside of the playfield, I believe the part that's spray painted black might be a serial #? It's a mystery to me. Obviously some have suggested it was stolen, but by whom, the radio station?

Just like a Fish Tale, the story about this game keeps growing!

#39 9 years ago

I think less than 1% of the people looking for a HUO FT would buy above the $4k mark. Good thing alot of people are looking for this title. $3500 is my personal "no way in hell" limit for this title in this condition. Just being honest. I have one sitting 15 ft away that hasn't been played since before thanksgiving, so i have no skin in this game. I'm actually trying to sell it for a friend. lol.

#40 9 years ago

Here's the one of the upc on the playfield that's just gone. Also, on the earlier pic I posted of the underside of the playfield, I believe the part that's spray painted black might be a serial #? It's a mystery to me. Obviously some have suggested it was stolen, but by whom, the radio station?

Thanks for the playfield photo! Yeah, that's just completely bizarre. I agree that the first thing that comes to mind is that the game was stolen at some point. What other possible reason could there be to remove that stuff? Regardless, it's still one hell of a nice example.

#41 9 years ago

Is there mylar over that cut out spot?

#42 9 years ago

some pics I just took with my camera. Glass Off (there's some visible dried wax residue in some of the pics I took today):

2-3-15 download 073.jpg2-3-15 download 073.jpg2-3-15 download 075.jpg2-3-15 download 075.jpg2-3-15 download 076.jpg2-3-15 download 076.jpg2-3-15 download 086.jpg2-3-15 download 086.jpg

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks for the playfield photo! Yeah, that's just completely bizarre. I agree that the first thing that comes to mind is that the game was stolen at some point. What other possible reason could there be to remove that stuff? Regardless, it's still one hell of a nice example.

There are valid reasons. For example:

"Sometimes, distributors or operators stamped out,destroyed or removed the serial numbers from their games to make it impossible to track the origin of the game. In the old days, gaming was very competitive and operators used individual markings that allowed them to secretly identify their games if they were stolen or to disguise them if they were in someone else's territory. In the 1990's, WMS started making distributor regions a part of the electronic serial number of every game but that was easily bypassed with a simple electronic modification. Eventually, the distribution regions of games become meaningless and these tracking numbers were dropped."

#44 9 years ago

If the serial# was removed, it would make me think it was routed at some point....

GLWS, Fishtales is one of the best games ever IMO....

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Is there mylar over that cut out spot?

no. More pics. The playfield is pretty glossy, but you'll see that there are some "shifter" registration issues around the switch slots:
2-3-15 download 065.jpg2-3-15 download 065.jpg2-3-15 download 066.jpg2-3-15 download 066.jpg2-3-15 download 067.jpg2-3-15 download 067.jpg2-3-15 download 068.jpg2-3-15 download 068.jpg2-3-15 download 069.jpg2-3-15 download 069.jpg2-3-15 download 070.jpg2-3-15 download 070.jpg2-3-15 download 071.jpg2-3-15 download 071.jpg2-3-15 download 072.jpg2-3-15 download 072.jpg2-3-15 download 075.jpg2-3-15 download 075.jpg2-3-15 download 077.jpg2-3-15 download 077.jpg2-3-15 download 081.jpg2-3-15 download 081.jpg2-3-15 download 082.jpg2-3-15 download 082.jpg2-3-15 download 083.jpg2-3-15 download 083.jpg2-3-15 download 084.jpg2-3-15 download 084.jpg2-3-15 download 085.jpg2-3-15 download 085.jpg2-3-15 download 087.jpg2-3-15 download 087.jpg

#46 9 years ago

2-3-15 download 110.jpg2-3-15 download 110.jpg

Quoted from tomdotcom:If the serial# was removed, it would make me think it was routed at some point....
GLWS, Fishtales is one of the best games ever IMO....

If this game was routed it was at the Taj Mahal or Buckingham Palace. The bad: two chipped/broken plastics and some scuffing on the cab art:2-3-15 download 111.jpg2-3-15 download 111.jpg2-3-15 download 112.jpg2-3-15 download 112.jpg2-3-15 download 113.jpg2-3-15 download 113.jpg2-3-15 download 114.jpg2-3-15 download 114.jpg2-3-15 download 115.jpg2-3-15 download 115.jpg2-3-15 download 116.jpg2-3-15 download 116.jpg2-3-15 download 078.jpg2-3-15 download 078.jpg2-3-15 download 079.jpg2-3-15 download 079.jpg2-3-15 download 080.jpg2-3-15 download 080.jpg

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

There are valid reasons. For example:

"Sometimes, distributors or operators stamped out,destroyed or removed the serial numbers from their games to make it impossible to track the origin of the game. In the old days, gaming was very competitive and operators used individual markings that allowed them to secretly identify their games if they were stolen or to disguise them if they were in someone else's territory. In the 1990's, WMS started making distributor regions a part of the electronic serial number of every game but that was easily bypassed with a simple electronic modification. Eventually, the distribution regions of games become meaningless and these tracking numbers were dropped."

That's very interesting. So it's quite possible that the operator who gave/sold the game to the radio station did it to prevent others from knowing where they had obtained the game from.

#48 9 years ago

I'd maybe pay 3500CAN...so that's my price guess...

#49 9 years ago

Thanks for the pics.

$3300-3500 is my estimated value.

#50 9 years ago

The only thing wrong is the bearded guy in the middle has a cigar coming out of his cheek!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-huo-fish-tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.